MV Agusta Forum banner

2014 vs 2015 vs 2016 F3 800 changes

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  caloots 
#1 ·
Hi All

I am a new forum member shopping for a F3 800, I came across a few left over 2014 models, I would like to know the differences to make a decision on buying a 2014 vs buying a newer model.

Thanks
Sai

#2 ·
Difficult one that, I have had three F3's, 2012 675, 2014 800 and a 2016 800RC,
They have all improved as the years go on and you do not hear so much about the "Sprag Clutch and Throttle issues with the later models, which plagued the earlier models

Suggest you talk to a decent dealer to find what improvements have been made to the latest version which I understand there have been

In my opinion the RC is worth the extra

Attachments

#3 ·
Got a 2015 f3 800. I don't think I've experienced the sprag issue.. I get a strange noise sometimes on cold start that I think sounds like a chain rattle.. goes away as soon as I pick up the throttle.. I can shut it off and start it again and it will be gone..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#10 ·
FYI, the 2015 F3 has a hydraulic cam chain tensioner instead of the mechanical one on earlier models. This tensioner is one cause of cold startup chain noise. As soon as the oil warms up, the tensioner works as designed and the noise goes away.

Reactions: caloots
#4 ·
Dealer here said the 2016 IS the 2017, as long as the 10th digit is H on the VIN. He also rattled off a lot of changes, from memory new valve liners, cam tensioner stuff to make the engine quiter, some gearbox changes too I think. He called it a mechanical refresh. Same bike, just stronger bits where they were breaking in superbike.

#6 ·
Makes sense, I was looking at a 2016 plated demo which he called a MY17, so I guess they changed to H sometime last year. I like that they are applying what they learn from superbike to the production line, but then they have to have at least 500 made to race I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.