Should I buy an F3 675?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy an F3 675??

Hi all, currently on a 2014 Monster 796. Recently needed a tire so I brought my wheel to the dealer with a new tire. While I waited (for an eternity) I saw they had a 2015 F3 675 in the showroom. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Haven't taken a test ride yet. So I'm looking for a little guidance. I realize this is an MV forum but please be as objective as possible. Pros? Cons? The MV is a totally different machine than the Monster. How's the ride by wire? Maintenance costs? Any mechanical, technical, electronic problems? I've read lots of scathing rants and lots of raving reviews. Not sure what to make of it all. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 PM

I've got a 2013 with about 15500km on it and they've been awesome. The ride by wire was certainly an issue at first but I picked mine up after those problems had been solved. Ride comfort isn't terrible considering the block of a seat. Parts and labor aren't cheap. There are probably more reliable cheaper options but but then you've got the intangibles of the MV. Take a test ride and you'll know.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:05 PM

New Site Garage
Yes - Buy it

Test ride it and you'll have to buy it

I have an 2012 F3 675 that I purchased per loved with under 3000km and good service history absolutely adore this bike my only regret is not shelling out for a brand new one as this is my "forever" bike

She isn't perfect, factory suspension setup is sub-par, runs hot in traffic, not the most comfortable on rides any longer than a couple of hours, definitely not a commuter, part and service are on the pricey side but your paying for exclusivity

Where she falls short on the above she makes up ten fold the minute you hit the twisty or crack the throttle about 7K rpm, the noise is intoxicating, the fell is unbelievable and then there is those looks

Chris
Tasty F3

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 AM

Where on this big blue marble are you?
Is this a new or gently used 2015 F3?
Is this an authorized MV dealer?
Most importantly, do you trust this dealer and their service techís?

Whether someone loves or hates their MV is often a product of the dealer network in their area.
A person may have a real problem bike but live within a short distance of two great dealers and be happy with that. Or, they may have to trailer their bike 7 1/2 hours round trip just to get jerked around time and again and therefore be not so happy.

On another note, did your 796 have problems? Did yours suffer from warped rotors, fuel tank swelling, electrical faults or other issues?

The wife rides a 796 and I have an F3 675. She never had an issue with our Ducati dealer getting problems sorted until Audiís purchase. Since then itís been a nightmare.
You can read all about my problem child but then, some people say Iím just a whiner...

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:01 AM

Not a whiner, just vocal. We have the same dealer, I bought the demo model they had on the floor. I'd like to think all of the issues and frustration you've had part of what's allowed me to have mostly flawless experience. You unfortunately were hit with the early adoption gremlins :/
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM

I think Tasty F3 has covered off a fair few issues.

Suspension is different depending on who put it together. I would recommend getting any bike set up once purchased. At least do the static sag. I have lost count of the number of time I have heard "bike is s**t, ate the suspension, handles badly, too stiff etc." When asked if they have set it up the answer is "no". Apparently bikes should be perfect out of the box. If you need that, you want the electronic suspension. That said the units are not Ohlins and are on par with standard supersports forks, save the Showa BPF's. If I had the choice I would change my suspension (cost).

They do run hot. Not sure if it is Panigale hot, but definitely hot.

Definitely not a commuter. Anything under 30mph is not brilliant, under 40mph marginally better, post 40mph it just gets better and better. In traffic it gets hot and combined with the light throttle and frustration it can be annoying.

Stephen makes a very good point about dealer experience. A good dealer experience often does make or break an owner. I recently met an owner who is set to sell through a horrendous experience with his dealer, where by many bolts were left loose when he got the bike back and the original issue wasn't fixed in the first place. It was so bad he has had enough and getting rid of the bike. That said it, you have to also remember dealers need to make money, some people want to do the work themselves and when they don't get it totally right or find something they can't do they angle for a warranty claim.

MV's are not Honda's or Kawasaki's. They are still a small, boutique manufacturer. Also whilst the should be as reliable as a Japanese bike they aren't. what I mean is you have to take care of them the MV engines will stand up to far less abuse than a Japanese bike. Thrash it from cold and it will exit stage less much quicker than a CBR or ZX6.

Comfort wise, they are not too bad. For me it's post around 4-5 hours of motorway. But I went to Belgium and back in a day on mine. I wasn't too happy by the time I got home, but I think that had to do with the rucksack I had on as well as the distance.

So my experience:

F3 675 2013 - 9000 miles

Problems
  1. Sort horn wire caused indicator to short - moved horn
  2. Swelling petrol tank - Tanks replaced out of warranty
  3. Bike takes a bit longer to start from cold - Suspect battery on this one due to a poor/dying battery tender.

I'm not going to lie, it's not perfect, and most Japanese 600's are more flexible, especially around town, the F3 RBW throttle is too light and takes getting used to. The standard foot pegs are a bit slippy and the fairing bolts should be SS. The early dash is incomprehensible and the trip reset is which works on release is just stupid. The mirrors are features used for turning anything behind you in to a blur or showing your a great view of your pillion's knees.

But..

The chassis is just brilliant and the engine is angry. It just gets better the faster you go, once you are on song the experience and drama is like no other 600. I tested it against the Daytona and for me, there was no comparison. Yes the Daytona was a more complete bike, but it was just another bike. Within 10 minutes on the MV I was sold.

Also nothing looks like an MV, whenever I open the garage/see it parked up, it just draws you in. Everything else fades into the background. Parked up next to a Panigale R and an 899 the other day, the people all came to look at the little MV.

Advice:
  • Check the bike starts nice and quickly. Mine takes a little longer from cold, maybe 6 goes over. When the sprag is on it's way out, it's more like 20 seconds and it never goes, especially when hot.
  • Change the BS battery out.
  • Get a FSH from a reputable dealer and keep it serviced.
  • MV have had issues lately, I hear that this is being sorted and I have seen both bikes and parts arrive from Italy at a dealer, in August, with my own eyes. But parts etc. may be slow coming.

On a final ranty note, go in with you eyes open and test ride one properly. I generally have to bite my lip when I read people posting up about how awful the bike is: the dash is terrible, the seat is too hard, I don't like the riding position, I don't like the gear change, the indicator switch is in the wrong place, I don't like the plastic on the controls etc.

The best one was: suspension is so bad the bike is a death trap, I've done 9000 miles and am still alive. But then I suspect some people on here have Rossi-esque skills that demand the best equipment going or their skills will over come the bike and launch them off the road on their way to the shops. The list goes on.

I do wonder whether some people actually rode or even saw one up close before buying as surely you would identify these issues before putting down money?

Do make sure it is the bike for you, it's easy to get lost in the appeal of Italian exotica, and the glitz and glamour, but you do need to know it's not all roses. People have had issues.

Thus endeth the lecture.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

No major problems. The clutch master cylinder was replaced under warranty. It's always felt funny even after replacement but I just chalked it up to the quirkiness of shifting on a torquey Ducati twin. I have no good reason to trade other than the beauty and allure of the MV and that triple engine. I just moved to Charlotte NC and have a dealer about 40 mins away. I read MV filed for chapter 11. Any news on a partner? Will I be out of commission for months at a time if I need a part 3 years down the road? I've got enough equity in the M796 to make a decent move financially so if there's no foreseeable service issues I'm thinking why the hell not. It's just a big decision. Plus, I love my Monster! It will be difficult to part with. As for the dealer, they seemed pretty "dealerish". Wasn't super impressed but wasn't feeling upset in any way either.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrogg View Post
Not a whiner, just vocal. We have the same dealer, I bought the demo model they had on the floor. I'd like to think all of the issues and frustration you've had part of what's allowed me to have mostly flawless experience. You unfortunately were hit with the early adoption gremlins :/

Thanks, I like to think that Iíve helped the cause. And I wasnít meaning to sound nasty towards Chrisí store. Itís just gees, what fuster cluck the whole mess has been. The first mechanic, who didnít help things, was fired. I really liked Joey and thought he was trying to help. I guess he got burned out. I was told heís selling real estate now. WOW, not what Iíd expect if dealing with whackos was what made him quit motorcycles.
I blame the factory and the Canadian distributor for most of my frustrations. Once those two elements were removed from the equation things seemed to move towards resolution quite quickly.
However, with MVís present situation in limbo Chris isnít sticking his neck out leaving me on the hook for the most recent repairs. I emailed Tim a month ago but he never replied. Big surprise...

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Established Member

Echo what Stephen says about location being key. I love my F3 675 - had a rare opportunity for most of a day on Monday to just go for a ride. The pain is that I'm hundreds of miles from my trusted dealer. They are italian in the older sense - so they do have foibles and niggles and it's key that the dealer understands the bike and knows the fixes. I initially thought that it didn't matter so much, but recent experience with an official dealer that only took MV on relatively recently opened my eyes that experience counts for a hell of a lot with these bikes.

I do agree though - chances are, if you ride it and its a good one (the map is updated, the throttle bodies are balanced etc) you'll love it immediately.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Established Member

I think Wildfire has absolutely hit the nail on the head with his post as well - fits my experience and opinion completely.

If you love it, you need to accept imperfection for those hits where it's so much better than a "normal" bike. But the key to not being frustrated to all hell is a good, experienced, caring dealer/tech that knows them.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode