Potential F3 saying hello... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Potential F3 saying hello...

Hi folks!
Am looking for opinions on the F3 675.
Specifically, I'm looking to have fears of buying an expensive, if very pretty, door stop allayed.

Why am I looking for the 675 and not the 800? To be honest, I enjoy the lower powered bikes. I've been riding for 20+ yrs, and for 16 of those years I owned a '98 R1. My most recent ride is an RVF400 - and I enjoy the lower power of the RVF, having to really ride it hard to make the pace - changing down and up 2 gears for each corner - where on the R1 I could have cruised around in 3rd all day.

I'm looking at the F3 in particular because it a) it is so purty, b) it isn't a normal inline-four and c) it is a very small bike. Ok, it isn't as small as my RVF (I might get the F3 lowered, I've gotten used to being able to get both feet flat on the floor - being a short-ass!).
Comments, opinions, advice and questions welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 PM

You know there is not that much more power on the 800 compared to the 675 but the 800 is lighter as well over 675. YOu will be using your gearbox just as much for a fun ride.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:30 PM

Hello and welcome,
My experience with the F3 has been not without issues, but excellent overall. If you are willing and able to do some basic mechanical tasks yourself, I would highly recommend getting one. If not, you COULD be spending some time and money at your local dealer.
It seems to me, for the most part, that good tech service and fault finding in particular are fairly rare these days. These bikes are prone to error codes and faults caused by poor electrical connections. I see a lot of examples on here of parts (ie throttle assemblies, and even complete wiring harnesses) being thrown at problems that in all likelyhood could have been solved much more simply.

My advice to anyone buying a new or used F3 is to:
#1. Make sure it has a good quality battery fitted. Yuasa or Shorai, if it fits the budget. I went with a 'cheaper' lithium option on mine (Motobatt) but it has performed faultlessly for the last two+ years.
#2. Remove the fairings and fuel tank, and find every electrical connector plug you can, unplug and apply a good smear of dielectric grease before reassembly. This includes the ECU located behind the battery box.
For some reason many people who are having fault codes appear are hesitant to do this simple task, but from my experience it could save you, and them, a lot of time and money looking for more complex, nonexistant problems. Since I did this on my bike in 2014, I have had zero error code/faults, even though I sometimes *gasp* ride my MV in the rain.
#3. The service manual calls for the rear hub bearings to be regreased at 12000km, but I would recommend to do it at 6000km initially, then inspect at 12000.
#4. Rear suspension static sag. Make sure you have some, and while you're at it check the front, it will probably have too much sag. Sorting this out will dramatically reduce the seemingly immediate need for a steering damper.
You can download the service manuals here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105793

Best of luck.

We're all here, but we're not all there.

Last edited by GREGOSTINI; 06-11-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Established Member

Thumbs up Do it

loving mine

Great fun.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks guys for all the answers.

I'm happy doing maintenance on the bike - and the suggestions so far seem reasonable.

Re the battery - money isn't an issue really - but do they not come with a decent battery in the first place?

Is the 800 lighter than the 675?

One of the things that I enjoy about my current RVF is that I am riding to a higher percentage of the bikes abilities - i.e. I rode to (lets be honest) about 30% of my R1's abilities (the bike was *a lot* faster than me!) but I'd say about 70% of my RVF's abilities - I mean the top speed on the RVF is only 125mph (and that is down hill with a trailing wind!) - and I enjoy riding the bike as opposed to clinging on...
I mean I like to think I'm Valentino...but let's be honest...

Oh - also - how much space is there under the pillion pad on the F3? Just curious - it isn't a deal breaker, but I keep stuff under there usually...

Last edited by manicguitarist; 06-12-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Missed something out
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
TBH, the supplied batteries with the new generation bikes are junk.
Most folks get 6 months, or less, out of them.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Oh - also - what's the deal on the melting fuel tanks?!
And it seems that MV don't do F3s with gold wheels any more. Boo.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicguitarist View Post
Thanks guys for all the answers.

Is the 800 lighter than the 675?
Actully I stand corrected both the 675 and 800 have the same dry weight 173kg
Quote:
Oh - also - how much space is there under the pillion pad on the F3? Just curious - it isn't a deal breaker, but I keep stuff under there usually...
A lot more then a ZX10R but not enough. U shuld be able to carry a couple of extra tools and rego papers that's about it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
[quote= And it seems that MV don't do F3s with gold wheels any more. Boo. [/quote]

You could pick up one of these I might even be persuaded for the right price
Attached Images

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Established Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi folks!
Am looking for opinions on the F3 675.
Specifically, I'm looking to have fears of buying an expensive, if very pretty, door stop allayed.

Why am I looking for the 675 and not the 800? To be honest, I enjoy the lower powered bikesÖ.

... (I might get the F3 lowered, I've gotten used to being able to get both feet flat on the floor - being a short-ass!).
Comments, opinions, advice and questions welcomed!
imho one motivation for getting the 675 over the 800 is the way the thing revs. The 800 is a stroked version of the almost identical bike, the 675 revs higher as a result. The sound is incredible and really impressed me more than expected, considering I never even heard one run before I bought mine.
I doubt you will need to lower the suspension and would recommend against it, the stock rear suspension is extremely stiff, like a high performance street bike should be. Guaranteed I'm a lighter rider then you are, I just lowered the spring preload a bit and ride on my toes. The saddle is very narrow at the front, so sliding forward will make it much easier to plant a foot on the ground :/ why would you need 2 feet down don't you know how to balance a motorcycle on its tires yet?
If you are looking for "lower powered bikes" you might not be buying the right machine, they have a lot of power on tap for a street ride. The bike will reward smooth throttle control. They don't like to go slow and need lots of air movement to keep them cool, hopefully you don't deal with a lot of slow moving traffic situations.
Original battery is indeed shite, and the original horn wiring is a joke, you will need to replace the wire to the horn with a longer one so it doesn't break.
F3 is awesome fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode