Would you buy the F3 on this situation? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Question Would you buy the F3 on this situation?

Hello!

Yes, this is a MV Agusta forum and pretty much everyone will say YES to this. I want to say it myself, yet there are some concerns I have that might influence this decision.

I will try to be as simple as possible.

I'm thinking about buying the F3 675, yet some things worry me. I've tried to search recent reviews about this bike, but with no luck. Can someone please tell me how are the ride-by-wire and fueling issues in 2016? Was all this resolved already?

Another thing is size. I'm 1.91 meters tall with around 94 Kg in weight. I'm afraid the bike is a bit small for me, even though when I sat on it (never rode one though) it seemed OK. Check attached picture. Any comments here?

Last, but not least, this bike is meant to substitute my Ducati Monster 821. I need the bike to have fun, but also to commute. I'd say I spend 80% of my time in the city and 20% in open roads. Probably the 675 engine is not the greatest option here!?

Oh! I'm thinking about a sport bike because I've always wanted one, and I'm also getting into track days so it is a great excuse to buy one now!

Any feedback on this?

Before making my final decision I will definitely try all the bikes I'm interested on. Or at least try, since most are impossible to find here. Even though the F3 would probably be my number one choice because I just love the looks of the bike and pedigree of the brand, I do however have totally different alternatives (because of my size, I have to). These are: Triumph Daytona 675, Yamaha R6/R1, Ducati Panigale 959, Aprilia RSV4 RR, Honda CBR 1000RR and BMW S1000RR. Yeah, apples and oranges...

Thank you for your help!

Oh... here's a pic of me on the bike. I have the slight impression I look like a bear on a bicycle...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM

If you're mainly commuting, no.

I love my F3, but up to 30mph, it is a PITA, up to 40 better, after that great. In stop start traffic, it is just no fun, it gets hot and is just not a great place to be. The mirrors are "features" at best.

I commute 4 days a week, motorway in the AM and city roads in the PM. I use a Monster. I wouldn't entertain the MV at all.

I used to use a ZX-6R which was far easier at commuting speeds than the F3, but the upright posture, visibility etc. of a Monster is still way better for the city. Commuting, in traffic I wouldn't go to a sports bike period. Not that it can't be done, but the F3 is definitely not the tool for it. You will find it much harder work than the Monster.

As for the RBW and fueling, yes it was all sorted a long time ago (2014). my 675 has no major issues that aren't associated with riding a sports bike slowly doesn't bring. The F3 is track focused and designed to reward you the faster you go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 PM

I agree city riding in traffic is hell.. The constant clutch and gear play, the sitting in the heat of the traffic and waiting an eternity for the light to change green, only to have it happen 30 seconds later. Buy a Vespa for the city and an MV for long rides through the twisties.

James M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 AM

New Site Garage
Couldn't agree more with the the 2 above, I have a 2012 F3 675 an would take a bus before attempting to commute daily on her.

It traffic she is a dog she simply is not designed to be cope up and caged, as Wildfire has stated the mirror are surely just to make it street legal as they have no actual usable function unless you like looking at your arms.

In saying that I wouldn't own any other bike, for all her quirks and down sides, 15 minutes in the twisty and you have completely forgotten about them

Chris
Tasty F3

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 AM

Don't know about a bear on a bicycle.............but it sure makes your head look funny

Cheers
Terry
2011 F4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 02:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Agree with the above, similar problem in traffic with the 2012 675, however with the latest 800 no problems whatsoever, it is as smooth as the Daytona 675 that I had.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 AM

With my 800, driving around on 30km/h roads is a bit jerky. Only because you either throttle too much or you are at idle speed, the bike doesn't want to have to go that slow. But as had been said, slow speeds are killer, but that goes with most sport bikes. As well, as had been mentioned, over 40 mph it starts to become nice and lovely.

I'm not a fan of stop and go traffic on the bike, but I put up with it cause it is my only bike. In a year when I move back to the United States, I plan to get me a second bike for commuting in the city. I mainly bought the F3 cause I got it for $600 off and didn't have to pay any taxes on it. Couldn't pass up that deal.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 AM

I came from a 1200 monster that I commuted on and traded it in for F3 800. I still commute on it but it is only about a 30 minute commute. Also it's normally very early morning so the roads are quiet.

I am a short at 5'5" so maybe it's more 'comfortable' for me than for a taller person. I wouldn't be put off by commuting unless it is a long commute, obviously it's not the ideal commuter as no sport bike is but it certainly can be done.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM

Question - why do you want a 675 as opposed to an 800?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Hello!

Thank you all for the replies. Let me try to answer you all at once, to make this post smaller:

- I know a sport bike sucks to commute, yet I can’t keep both bikes for lack of space in my closed garage. Parking one outside is a big no-no. Unfortunately…

- even though I ride most of the time in the city, I can keep most of the time good speeds - even though I shouldn’t. My Monster average speed in the computer is around 40-50 Km/h (including stoplight stops, etc).

- I’m thinking about the 675 instead of the 800 because I think the 800 might be a bit too much regarding prices. It’s almost neck-to-neck with the Panigales, Tuonos, etc. Once again, apples and oranges. Yet, MV Agustas here don’t keep a good resale value. In fact, they lost they value quite quickly.

- my commutes are not that long. I’d say 20-25 minutes each way. Most of that time is away from the city center, so no stoplights here, yet when I reach the city center the traffic becomes much slower. I get a hard time with the Monster regarding… nut… roasting…

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode