Pani 1299 or F3 800- Decision Made! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Pani 1299 or F3 800- Decision Made!

I haven't had a new bike since Barry Obama was elected in 2008... What's worse... in the last few years as the economy failed to improve, my once thriving stable of bikes has dwindled down to one.. My trusty 2006 K1200S. The good news is.. I paid off my MINI last week and my budget is now ready for another sportbike.. Had been doing my usual OCD research over the last year in anticipation and had it narrowed down to 2. My 3 main criteria are.. A. It has to be beautiful, B. a minimum of 150hp, and C. a single sided swingarm..

After a thorough vetting process my wish list comes down to a 1299 Panigale or the F3 800... Having missed owning a Ducati since I sold my 1098 a few years ago, in my mind I was 90% sure I'd go with the Pani. The reviews pretty much say it's what Jesus would ride.. I have a buddy who has one and I've have ridden his a few times and it is impressive. The thing is though, 98% of my riding is done in the mountains. I live right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I really don't need 200hp and I don't plan on tracking this bike.. Then there is the F3.. The pictures and reviews of the 2016 F3 800 are pretty impressive. Good looks.. razor sharp handling ...light weight...Longer lasting erections.. Almost 150hp... Almost. Decisions decisions..

Even though I was feeling very confident that a new Pani had my name on it.. there was that nagging 10% chance that the little MV might sway me away.. When I'm contemplating spending north of 15K... I want to be 100% sure I've made the right decision... In an effort to be sure, yesterday I blew off work and went to the closest MV dealer which is in Charlotte, NC.. (a 2.5hr drive from here in Asheville). They had a red and silver F3 800 in stock as well as the 1299 so I could see them side by side..sit on them side by side.. drool on them side by side. I kinda assumed any doubts that the Pani was for me would be eliminated .. or would they?...

In a word... my theories crashed and burned as soon as I laid eyes on the F3... Damn. Pictures don't do it justice. The F3 and the Pani were almost side by side and in comparison the Pani looked huge. The F3 fit me perfectly and surprisingly.. the ergos were much better than the Pani, any other Ducati, or any other MVs I'd ever ridden. Sweet! Other than the useless mirrors.. it was all love. I told Charlie Hearne, the salesperson that I'd be back at some point to test ride it and take one home... I'm very excited.

My only worry at this point is will the 800 have enough power for this HP junkie. While it doesn't meet my minimum street HP requirement.. it just misses it. I'm thinking in the mountains of my area (pic of the road I live on below) the F3 should be just about right... This is one beautiful motorcycle. Guess I'll be seeing a lot of youz guyz in the near future...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM

not sayin don't buy it but have you read this?

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172282

Cheers
Terry
2011 F4
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midget81 View Post

Quit being a nervous nelly Terry, MV will live on. It's a legend marque. This is just business. GC has built an improved MV Agusta, but it took money to do so. Now the company just needs to sustain. Nothing to really worry about. Plus all of the airtime that they are getting in WSS will improve sales.

Beautiful bike Jerry, I hope you pick it up. The lines of the F3 are flawless and the 800, it's a rare bird to me. Light but powerful.

I believe that my next track bike will be the 800 if all goes well over the next few years.

I am sure living in Asheville lends to great rides in your back yard.

I'm in Clemmons if you are ever on the bike points East.

Also in your neck of the woods, check this out...lots of good people and great times expected.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=167906

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Nope .. I hadn't seen this, but it doesn't matter.. MV changes hands every so often.. No idea why they have so many problems on the biz end of the operation, but they always come through it .. always.. Non issue. Perhaps they should study Ducati's biz model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget81 View Post

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Nope .. I hadn't seen this, but it doesn't matter.. MV changes hands every so often.. No idea why they have so many problems on the biz end of the operation, but they always come through it .. always.. Non issue. Perhaps they should study Ducati's biz model...
The F3 800 is no slouch but you will see that when you test ride. I reckon you will probably ride the F3 quicker than a bike with more HP.

Good luck with your purchase what ever you decide
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Yea all good, just thought it was something a prospective butter should know

Cheers
Terry
2011 F4
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Is the dealer competent? Will they be able to properly supply you with parts and Map upgrades as needed? Do you crave the crazy low down grunt of the L twin or the psychotic wail of the triple. That thing sounds amazing. You are choosing between 2 completely different animals. You need to ride them. Also the Pani has a very small fuel tank. Thats how they can claim such a light wet weight.

Ex Silentium Adveho Nex
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM

F3 800 is powerful but the Panigale is a far superior bike in the performance department . The ergos on the Panigale are just as good as the f3 if not better. The only downsides of the ducati is the heat under the seat and it's a heavier bike , doesn't feel as nimble as the MV.

Looks and sound are subjective, so I won't comment on those.

1976 Honda CB550
2005 Ducati Monster S4RS
2009 Ducati 1198S
2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2016 MV Agusta F3 800
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Having ridden the Pani numerous times.. I'm aware of the performance difference, but like I said... virtually ALL my riding is done in the twisties or on the Blue Ridge Parkway were 200hp simply is not needed..

I would disagree with you on the ergos.. I'm 5'7" and the F800 is much more comfortable than the Pani which has a long reach to the bars...

Agreed on the nimbleness.. the Pani has a longer wheelbase.. Side by side the F800 looks like a little 650 in comparison..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantine View Post
F3 800 is powerful but the Panigale is a far superior bike in the performance department . The ergos on the Panigale are just as good as the f3 if not better. The only downsides of the ducati is the heat under the seat and it's a heavier bike , doesn't feel as nimble as the MV.

Looks and sound are subjective, so I won't comment on those.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:06 PM

Does the 2016 F3 have the much vaunted auto blipper? Pani has this and the IMU. Lean angle ABS etc. I also disagree with those two bikes having the same ergos. The F3 is comfortable compared to the Pani.

Ex Silentium Adveho Nex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode