F3 800 Questions from Potential 2016 Owner - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 77
F3 800 Questions from Potential 2016 Owner

Hi guyz.... Been a long time since I posted here... Been a long time since I owned an MV... I used to have a 750 F4.. Best looking bike I've ever owned.. Loved it in the garage.. loved it on the track.. hated it on the street due to it's extreme, Marquis de Sade ergos.... The last sport bikes I had after my F4 was an R1 (for track days) and Ducati 1098.. Both were absolutely plush compared to the F4...

Haven't had a sport bike in a few years and I'm missing having one...I currently ride a K1200S and plan on keeping it for my "old man" bike. I've got my choices narrowed down to two... The Pani 1299.. and the 2016 F3 800... I've ridden the Pani and loved it, but I simply don't need a motor that big. IMHO it's more fun to ride a smaller bike to it's limits than have a more powerful bike that you can't. I'm actually wanting a mid-size bike as 100% of my riding are in twisties and the lighter the bike.. the better. I looked at the smaller Pani, but the Italians decided to cut costs and put those butt-ugly double-sided swing-arms on those bikes.. Bastages! That's the deal breaker... Now I'm focused like a laser on the MV F3 and I can find little info on them in the press... I've been reading all I can here at this most holy of MV chat sites..

I have a few questions before I even go look at or test ride an F3 hence this post...

1. I'd read in a review or two that the F3's are night and day more comfortable than any F4.... Anyone here ridden both? and is this true? Please God somebody tell me it's true...

2. Can anyone point me to any links to reviews and/or comparisons of the 2016 F3?

3. It it really true that all the throttle/idle/fueling issues have been resolved for the 2016 models?

4. For those who already own F3s... about what weight rider are the oem shocks set up for? I'm 157lbs (without gear) and my guess is these bikes are probably set up for a heavier (read: American) rider meaning I'd have to have the springs changed.. Opinions?

It's been a while since I was this excited about getting a new bike... Any advice is appreciated..
Attached Images
 
Pirate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 291
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
... but I simply don't need a motor that big. IMHO it's more fun to ride a smaller bike to it's limits than have a more powerful bike that you can't. I'm actually wanting a mid-size bike as 100% of my riding are in twisties and the lighter the bike.. the better.
This was the very same reasoning that went into my decision making when I bought an F3. I seriously considered a liter bike and the F4 was at the top of the list, but I also had to think seriously about the type of riding I would be doing the majority of the time. I'm around 25% track/75% street. And for the tracks I mainly go to, I'll be pushing it hard to even max out what the F3 can provide, nevermind trying to push an F4. There was just no way that I personally would ever be able to really push an F4 to the max unless there was like 5 miles of straight road ahead, which would be maybe 0.05% of my total riding.

You know how it's often been said that some new guys getting into street riding (and to their credit they are trying to do it right) and they immediately jump straight to a liter bike? I actually know a guy at the track I usually go to and he is in exactly that same position with a S1000. He says the thing completely scares him now. That's not what I want. My bike has to be completely under control and I have to be comfortable with it.

Quote:
1. I'd read in a review or two that the F3's are night and day more comfortable than any F4.... Anyone here ridden both? and is this true? Please God somebody tell me it's true...

2. Can anyone point me to any links to reviews and/or comparisons of the 2016 F3?

3. It it really true that all the throttle/idle/fueling issues have been resolved for the 2016 models?

4. For those who already own F3s... about what weight rider are the oem shocks set up for? I'm 157lbs (without gear) and my guess is these bikes are probably set up for a heavier (read: American) rider meaning I'd have to have the springs changed.. Opinions?

It's been a while since I was this excited about getting a new bike... Any advice is appreciated..
1. I personally have not ridden an F4, but I've heard the same thing. The F4 is heavier. A couple years ago I had a 250 & 300. When I first rode an F3, the weight between the two bikes is about the same, give or take 10-15 pounds, but the F3 actually felt lighter. It's likely because of how the weight is distributed.

2. Compared to what? Just google it.

3. Don't know. There will likely always be someone complaining about some minor issue since it is by the wire.

4. I had mine set by a mechanic I trust. Based on his adjustments to my bike, if I were to guess, I'd say around 175.
Spark is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 77
Thanks Spark.... That helps a little...

2. Compared to what? Either a straight up review or a comparison to ANYTHING... I found one review on the 2016 800 Brutale via a thorough Google search..Not one review of the 2016 F3.. None.. nada.. zip. there's simply not much out there... I figured if there was.. somebody here would know where I could find it.. Maybe not..
Pirate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 37
Those are some good questions, and I wish I had an answer for you. Some of them I'd actually like to have an answer to myself, but I didn't let that deter me, and I've already paid for my black 2016 F3 800. I'm in the US Army and stationed in Germany, so I gotta do the MSF course all over again before they'll give me a motorcycle license I can use over here in Germany, so my bike is sitting at the dealership waiting for me to take the class which isn't until April, but I can't wait. I'm counting down the days religiously.

I myself have scoured the internet for reviews on the 2016 model and haven't come up with anything yet. But if I find something, I'll be sure to let you know as all inquiring minds want to have something to look up and see. And I agree, comparison reviews are actually quite interesting as it gives you an understanding of how certain aspects feel compared to other bikes of that class. But in the end, it is all opinion and the only one that matters is yours.

My understanding on the throttle issues is that they have pretty much been taken care of, I read that in a review of the 2016 F3 800 RC. Now if you aren't getting the bike right away, and getting it after I get mine, I can give a big run down of it, which I think I'm going to anyhow since there's not much info out there for the 2016 F3's, 800 or 675.

I will tell you this though, the bike looks so much more gorgeous in person than it does in photos, and just sitting on it makes you drool. I can't wait to drive it, that's for sure.
RabidSquirrel is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 77
Yes.. do let us know your impressions when you finally get to throw a leg over it, Rabid..

BTW.. One question I'll bet you do have the answer for... Someone here posted here that all 2016's have black engines... they even posted a picture of a few of them, but I've looked at perhaps 1/2 a dozen 2016s sitting in showrooms around the US and they have silver engines... Trying to figure that one out...

What color is your engine? Thanks for your service, soldier..
Pirate is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 37
My 2016 F3 800 has the silver engine color which I'm actually thankful for. It pops out more and looks better in my opinion. Especially on the black bike.

Last edited by RabidSquirrel; 02-21-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I need to learn to spell.
RabidSquirrel is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 77
My thoughts exactly, Rabid.. You are obviously a man of good taste...
Pirate is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,054
New Site Garage
The F3 is far more comfortable than the old F4's for sure, and much easier to ride around town. I'd say only slightly more comfy than the new F4's, but I think your own size would have you enjoy the F3 much more.
The 800 has no shortage of power, make no mistake about that.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 AM
Established Member
 
WRCPUG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
... The Pani 1299.. and the 2016 F3 800... I've ridden the Pani and loved it, but I simply don't need a motor that big. IMHO it's more fun to ride a smaller bike to it's limits than have a more powerful bike that you can't. I'm actually wanting a mid-size bike as 100% of my riding are in twisties and the lighter the bike.. the better. I looked at the smaller Pani, but the Italians decided to cut costs and put those butt-ugly double-sided swing-arms on those bikes.. Bastages! That's the deal breaker... Now I'm focused like a laser on the MV F3 and I can find little info on them in the press... I've been reading all I can here at this most holy of MV chat sites..

I have a few questions before I even go look at or test ride an F3 hence this post...

1. I'd read in a review or two that the F3's are night and day more comfortable than any F4.... Anyone here ridden both? and is this true? Please God somebody tell me it's true...

2. Can anyone point me to any links to reviews and/or comparisons of the 2016 F3?

3. It it really true that all the throttle/idle/fueling issues have been resolved for the 2016 models?

4. For those who already own F3s... about what weight rider are the oem shocks set up for? I'm 157lbs (without gear) and my guess is these bikes are probably set up for a heavier (read: American) rider meaning I'd have to have the springs changed.. Opinions?

It's been a while since I was this excited about getting a new bike... Any advice is appreciated..

Nice looking F4...its hard to believe they are over 15 years old as they still look so good.

I was in the same position as you not too long ago. I came from a few litre bike and wanted something smaller/lighter and something i could use more of on the road. The 800 IS that bike, if your like me and do a lot of twisty riding through tight windy roads you will not be disappointed.

Question 1- i haven't ridden an F4 but the F3 is ok...not bad not great. Its not as comfy as my RSV4 or R1. The only things i think that are uncomfortable are the thin seat and the pressure on your wrist when you need to stick to a constant throttle or speed limit. As the throttle has a light spring its very sensitive which can be a bit annoying on a long ride.

Question 3- i bought a 2015 F3 800 and the fuelling is great (i've put about 4000kms on it in about 2 months). I read a lot of reviews and that was the main concern they had....i think this has been fixed as it seems pretty spot on to me just takes a bit of getting used to as its a bit sensitive.


Question 4- Suspension...mmm this is my main gripe. When the road is smooth or smoothish the bike is AMAZING...razor sharp handling better than anything else i have ridden. However the expense is it is twitchy and gets unsettled easily over bumps when traveling over 80kmph.

It feels like the rear is just hoping over things and even under power over a bump it feels like it wants to spit me out of the seat.(again not violent but just i can feel that)

I have had a few unsettling moments (nothing scary though) on this thing (mainly the rear shock being shit). Moments and feedback i have not experienced on any of my other bikes along the same roads. I weight 80kg without gear and from what i've been told the spring rates are too soft. Mine is going in for a re-valve and re-spring tomorrow. It just seems like the shock doesn't do a very good job of absorbing bumps.

I will post (when its finished) what my suspension shop did to mine and what spring rates he used.

But again thats just my opinion others love the suspension but on the roads i ride on i have noticed the difference in damping compared to my RSV4 and even my stock 2008 R1.
WRCPUG is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Established Member
 
WRCPUG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 97
Other things-

Like Donsy said the power is great...the motor is fantastic and so smooth and linear. Its a bit deceiving how fast you are going when you get her in the upper rev range.

Brakes- fantastic perfect for the bike, great feel and stopping power time and time again.

Gearing- one thing i don't love is the standard gearing. Seems a bit too long. If your riding roads like me they are mostly 2nd gear 50-80kmph corners. The bike has good punch out of these corners but i wish i was a little higher in the rev range to be in the sweet spot. It seems like 1st gear would be perfect but 1st is too twitchy for nice throttle control. I have just ordered a -1 tooth front sprocket hopefully that should do the trick and i can be happier in 2nd gear.

Also i ordered some stomp grip for the tank as its a bit slippery and hard to support my body weight with my legs as its a skinny tank and bike.

Other than that i LOVE the F3. Like i mentioned earlier i was in the same position as you doing as much research as i could...there are not many good reviews out there and the ones that are are like 3 years old.

In the end i just bit the bullet and took a risk with the bike and bought an ex demo with 60kms on it...its my first MV and if they keep refining and advancing their bikes over the years it will not be my last.

Go for a test ride you will not be disappointed
WRCPUG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome