F3 800 track use question: issues with shifting (to 4th gear)? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM

I have sold dozens of F3 800. A few of my customers use them exclusively for track riding. None have complained about missing shifts. On my personal F3 675, Rivale 800, or my wife's B3 675 I have never missed a shift nor have I on any F3 800 which I have ridden a lot, on the street or the track, and the quickshifter works as good as any out there.
What I have found out, however, is that many riders have "lazy foot" syndrome - on MV Agustas, Ducatis, or any other brand bike. Admittedly, the throw on the shift lever is a little bit longer than the average sport bike, so it does require a real positive movement. For most customers who complain about missing shifts, usually a simple adjustment to the shift lever is the fix. This is even more prevalent when customers installed their own rear-sets.
On most bikes of any brand, I have to adjust the shift lever down to assure I get clean, positive movement on the lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 03:21 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
I have sold dozens of F3 800. A few of my customers use them exclusively for track riding. None have complained about missing shifts. On my personal F3 675, Rivale 800, or my wife's B3 675 I have never missed a shift nor have I on any F3 800 which I have ridden a lot, on the street or the track, and the quickshifter works as good as any out there.
What I have found out, however, is that many riders have "lazy foot" syndrome - on MV Agustas, Ducatis, or any other brand bike. Admittedly, the throw on the shift lever is a little bit longer than the average sport bike, so it does require a real positive movement. For most customers who complain about missing shifts, usually a simple adjustment to the shift lever is the fix. This is even more prevalent when customers installed their own rear-sets.
On most bikes of any brand, I have to adjust the shift lever down to assure I get clean, positive movement on the lever.
That last bit is exactly what i had to do on mine as i like a tight fit when pushing up through the box

Funny i always had to do the same on my mx bikes but other way round to get my foot under due to the massive boots

Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider supporting my son in his racing

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me, current road and track racing & my son competing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 AM

New Site Garage
Thanks Balz.
Ever have any success or request to swap to an alternative strain gauge on your bikes ?

A lot of people think that a quickshifter "changes" gear for you, not realising that the module only services as an electrical switch and that you still physically have to move the mechanical parts by foot. I think one guy called it an "electrical shifter" or "auto shifter" after test riding a Turismo, and we know that is something completely different.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 AM

okay here's the thing (due rain, snow and ice over the last couple of weeks I couldn't test it again):

I have Rizoma RRC rearsets and since they are fully adjustable I tested various settings of course
shifting all gears, including 3rd to 4th, at low (lets say up to 10k) RPM is smooth as **** but when I was on the track in Hockenheim and I could either shift early or not at all to 4th, not even using the clutch! I'll try again once the weather is better again.

No I don't have a "lazy-foot-syndrome" :P

Even brought it to the dealer to let him try afterwards as I couldn't reproduce it on public roads but it didn't happen when he was riding... so I'll give it another try on the famous German Autobahn
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 PM

New Site Garage
I'm not familiar with Rizoma on the F3, but on my bike they flexed quite a bit, could this be a problem ? Maybe relocate the q/s module to the other end of the linkage rod if possible. It could be a vibration issue.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM

I had this same gear-switch problem with my F3 800 (MY2015). I'm shifting with a racing footpeg from Rizoma and my 1st gear is on top. So shifting up is more ergonomical for me. I have the same probs when shifting from 3th to 4th. Often the gear didn't changed and hung between both gears. That sucks a lot during a race!

To prevent the quickshifter as the issue, I disabled it and shift like in my past Ducati-days with quick throttle closings and put the gear in without clutch (similar to the function of an easy qs-system). But the problems still exist. I could hit the shiftlever and push it but nothing happend. It's like you push against nothing. You can push the lever but there's nothing. Hope you understand. Only way to shift was to pull the clutch-lever and release the tourque from the gearbox. So my conclution: The QS is not the source for the gear changing problem.

Over the last month my MV dealer was in contact with the technical support of MV Agusta. Last week he told me, that they will change a return spring in the gearbox as a sulotion for that problem. MV Agusta found out, that this spring was too soft and not able to bring back the shifting to the right position. I think this spring operates with the switching forks.

Anyway...I hope that solves my shifting-issues.
But it's often not the QS itself, which is the problem. Try to disable the QS and when you have still some probs to gear up, contact your dealer. I know some guys, that had similar problems. Don't know why. Maybe MV Agusta didn't change the gearbox in comparison to the F3 675, which has less tourque on the rod, than the F3 800. But hopefully it will end up with a new return-spring in 2016...

Last edited by :roman:; 02-12-2016 at 10:19 AM.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for this information roman
This explanation sounds pretty plausible to me.
If you could keep us updated about this I would really appreciate it!

Two weeks ago I bought an F3 800 (in Germany).
Due to time and weather I still did not have a chance to ride it.

I only have German papers so actually it is not allowed to ride it on the streets here in The Netherlands.
Now preparing it for the track and hopefully in March I can test it on track (with nice weather).

Very curious if mine has this issue ...

PS: my shift lever will be in the right position and I do not have the the "lazy foot" syndrome.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 AM

I have the same problem as you recently on my F3 800 MY2013, immpossible to pass the 4 fully loaded, below 10000 rpm no problem, has your problem been solved by changing the return spring?
I called my dealer and he tells me that there is nothing to do, that it is the design of the box that is like that, I use my F3 only for track days, at the beginning the fourth was harder to pass than the other report but it was in full charge, since this year it passes more fully loaded, I may be looking at the box this winter because why there is this problem on some models of F3 800 and no others?
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Established Member

Are you guys having this problem even with GP shift (reverse shift pattern)?
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 AM

this is not an issue of the gearbox. Had the same issue and it was solved by updating the software to a more recent version, so make sure you have the latest map installed. If that doesn't solve it installing the ECUStudio version with the race "settings" for the quickshifter (which also allows you to use the blipper if you switch to the EAS 2.0 sensor and do a little modification of your wiring loom) will allow to shift at any RPM
dansoarr likes this.

MV F3 800 / 2014 / Quick shift up AND down working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode