Second thoughts about F3 800 after reading forum on drag gear - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Second thoughts about F3 800 after reading forum on drag gear

I just finished reading all the many pages of posts regarding the sprag gear failures.
I had just decided and ordered a new F3 800 and am wondering if I should change my order fast in light of what I am reading about the spray clutch failures and starting problems.
Is MV the quality or a Ducati or will my life with an MV be a never ending solving glitches and problems?
Having second thoughts on the F3 and now even the MV.
Have they solved this problem for a new 2016 that they are locating for me?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 PM

buy the bike and enjoy it. The small number of problems is far outweighed by the number of satisfied consumers.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 PM

I've never had a single issue

Cheers, Jon-Michael

2014 F3 800 EAS
2013 F3 675 EAS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 AM

New Site Garage
Mate go buy another bike. You obviously dont know what it is to own one of these bikes

If your worried about problems and what people say. Then theres a whole lot of brands you can buy that are reliable.

You dont buy a MV for reliability. You buy one cause you love it and your passionate about the brand. If thats not you then you then its not too late to jump ship.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:14 AM

New Site Garage
Come on Sam, ease up on the new guy. He's only going on what he's reading, I'd most rather point him in the right direction and say "rather read the threads and posts from the happy owners", instead of sitting in the Maintenance section only.
I see no reason why you or I cant think that you can buy an MV and expect reliability. I agree it's not a big Company with millions in development work, for that same reason I don't think MV's are nearly as unreliable as you are now making them out to be either.
I think or feel MV is doing a reasonable job fixing the problems which where not picked up in development or what's lacking in their parts suppliers choices, not perfect, but a much better effort than 10 years ago.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Come on Sam, ease up on the new guy. He's only going on what he's reading, I'd most rather point him in the right direction and say "rather read the threads and posts from the happy owners", instead of sitting in the Maintenance section only.
I see no reason why you or I cant think that you can buy an MV and expect reliability. I agree it's not a big Company with millions in development work, for that same reason I don't think MV's are nearly as unreliable as you are now making them out to be either.
I think or feel MV is doing a reasonable job fixing the problems which where not picked up in development or what's lacking in their parts suppliers choices, not perfect, but a much better effort than 10 years ago.

Donsy dont get me wrong here mate. Im not saying they are unreliable all im saying is dont expect them to be full proof thats all. Mate i know what its like to have issues with my bikes but hey i dont jump up and down like a lot of people do here when really just a minor problem occurs.

His read everything bad thats happened and now his changed his mind on wether to buy into the brand. All because a few upset people..really come on. Mate its simple all im saying is you want a bike with no headache MV isnt for you. But if you can handle a few hiccups along the way then hey its all good the bike is a weapon of a bike the best in its class.

Sorry for coming across harshly but im not a type of person who listens to anyones opinions. I make my decisions on my own. Its frustrating hearing guys who say oh MV are shit or MV you cant get parts all because of some douche bad mouthed them and then they have run with it.

Heres a little tip for the man maybe this will put his mind at ease. Which bike this year in WSS was the stand out? Which bike next year will be field more than 3 bikes? Why are so many guys switching to the F3 next year? Cause its the best bike in the field thats why.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:08 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnehme View Post
Heres a little tip for the man maybe this will put his mind at ease. Which bike this year in WSS was the stand out? Which bike next year will be field more than 3 bikes? Why are so many guys switching to the F3 next year? Cause its the best bike in the field thats why.
Now that part I like Sam

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Now that part I like Sam

Bit nicer huh lol.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:20 AM

Yes, first post. Been reading for about 6 months now. Have a 2006 GSXR1000 (134,000 klm, only ever had to replace the fuel pump and rectifier once, so ultra reliable), and have a 2010 1198 (29,000klm, numerous issues, replaced sprag once, worked for a month, then learnt had to replace sprag, flange, and driven gear together. After that, with upgraded battery and cables, that issue seems to be over).
To Spotswood I'd say, no mechanical device is always and forever perfect. You're buying new with a warranty. If you like the bike, go ahead.
Because I do all my maintenance, I have found, on gixxer and ducati forums, that there are some incredibly knowledgable and helpfull people (and genuinely nice people) who would try to help you thru any issues post warranty. But it must be said, some idiots and bad advice. Comes with the territory I guess.
I've ridden the F3 800 enough to want one, and have been checking issues etc before I act (and needing time to save money, I'm looking to buy next month). So I understand why the original poster is asking.
Because I live in the Lockyer Valley, I'm up to 2 hours west/north west of the dealers.
I don't know whether to buy secondhand, and out of warranty, or buy new with warranty. If I lived nearer to a dealer it would be buy new for sure. I know any shop can book service it, but if there is a major issue/warranty claim, that is thru the MV dealer.
I've never worked on an MV, but I'm happy to learn, to live and learn. My question would be, if buying secondhand, and some are interstate so hard to physically look myself, is there anything MV F3 800 specific to check out??
Thanks for any advice.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 AM

New Site Garage
I've got about 250 miles on my F3 so far, which was manufactured at the time the sprag was still an issue (before the tsb) and no issues yet to speak of. However I did replace the battery and ignition cables upon first bringing it home. I didn't mind it; I rather enjoy getting to know my bike in this intimate manner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode