F3-800 - considering purchase, known issues? please help? - MVAgusta.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

F3-800 - considering purchase, known issues? please help?

hi all,

newbie to this forum, the mv dealership just came to town and im drooling over the f3-800. I only ride at the track and my current bike is an r6. A couple of questions for existing owners please:

1. are there issues with the throttle still or is that a thing of the past?

2. this will be my first italian bike - any reliability issues i should be aware of?

3. has anyone else graduated to this bike from a 600 and if so, their thoughts please? i was considering but ruled out a liter bike - too much power. want to take it slow with a "middle of the road" approach.

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Owned two F3's, 2012-2014 675 and a 800 since August last year, just about to change to the 800RC.
Road use, not track, but from that perspective, there have been problems in the past with fuel mapping and sprag clutch issues, but they now have been resolved.
800 is easier to ride, more mid range torque and probably as much power as you would require on the track
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks Bruce,

yes the throttle issue in particular seems to have been quite prevalent. It got fixed through a software upgrade I assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:26 PM

New Site Garage
Mine appears to have the "hunting idle" problem that has been described before. One thing I don't understand is this attributed to a leak in the throttle body or a software update? If I take the bike in for service at the dealer, what should i specifically ask for to correct this?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Mine had the same hunting idle issue, now I have done 1400 miles that seems to have disappeared. I didn't have it when I initially bought the bike, but after the first service it appeared. I was planning to take it back to the dealer, but then it disappeared. I just put it to some bad fuel or something like that. I have ridden the bike in the summer and the fall when it was a little cooler and the hunting issue did not appear. When it was there, it was a pain to take slow corners in 2nd as the throttle had a mind of its own.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

hmmmm you mean it doesnt idle at a set RPM?

Gorgeous gorgeous bike

i cant get over the stats of the 800 and the fact that all that power resides in something which feels (and almost weighs) just a tad more (in stock form) than my fully track prepared r6.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
My hunting issue was rectified with a new exhaust valve motor
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Haych, where on this big blue marble do you reside? Which tracks do you ride?

Bruce is correct, the 800 is the easier bike to ride. However, if this is going to be a “track only” bike then why not look for a gently used F3 675? I believe it’ll make you a better rider. Besides, it’s always more fun to ride a smaller bike fast than a larger bike which you may not want to push as hard. Not that the 675 is slow. It just requires more work from a rider than the bigger 800.

I do not want to resurrect the “Rear Brake Debate” but, one problem MV’s suffer from is rear brake air lock. I see on the latest F3’s that MV have relocated the rear reservoir. Anyone know if they have added a better heat shield or moved the rear master? Has what MV done cured the problem?

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM

Haych I have used the 800 and 675 over two seasons at the track almost exclusively. I haven't had either issue with sprag issues or fueling/idle. If using the 800 as a dedicated track bike my first suggestion to you is to dump the factory suspension if you are sub 140lbs or over 190lbs. There just isn't enough adjustability for a properly setup suspension above and below those ranges. The 800 has plenty of power on the track, enough so that you will run into issues with keeping the front end down if not accustomed to using the rear brake to tame it lightly at times until you are adjusted to the power output.

The rear brake will need to be shielded from the exhaust to maintain functionality on the track. We ended up removing the reservoir in lieu of a smaller piece of tubing with a cap on three of the F3's we track with. After heat shielding and doing this we have yet to run into of a soft or nonexistent rear brake.

A steering damper is a warranted upgrade on the 800 especially post tuning/upgrades. Matris Is my preferred damper but Ohlins is just as capable. This is a quality of life upgrade after the first track season where I didn't have one.

Bodywork is a no-brainer. I prefer Bikesplast due to their extended seat pan and solo tail design (I'm 6'2") but catalyst composites is another great company.

Braking is phenomenal on the 800 thanks in large part to the twin 34mm piston Brembos on the front. To give a more solid feel and feedback I went with a Brembo RCS19 master cylinder which was a marked improvement. This winter I will be changing the rotors and pads to a different setup (CMC rotors with appropriate pads).

The biggest change you will have to adapt to with an F3 is ties ease of steering and falling into corners. This is attributed to but not limited by its design, lightweight and counter rotating engine. This bike flicks left and right at 70-80mph like your r6 does at 40mph.

Last but not least the 800 will gladly boil your semen if you find yourself in hot pit for too long...

Cheers, Jon-Michael

2014 F3 800 EAS
2013 F3 675 EAS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
ask if the ecu has been upgraded with new software and also if the ride by wire throttle has been changed .....one cant be done without the other ......make sure it has a good battery ...........grab a bottle of meguiars scratch x 2.0...i will swear by this meguiars....get a good lid .....stay away from litters of cats because its a pussy magnet

Cant see the forest because of the trees
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode