Are these rearsets any good? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Are these rearsets any good?

Greetings There is an ebay seller selling what look to be copies.....or he is the actual manufacturer.... for the Sato racing rearsets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Billet-F...-/261131504591

Anyone buy these from this seller?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM

They are not Sato but look a likes. They don't look half bad IMHO for 199 vs. 599 for Sato. If you get them, let me know as I am in the market to get a set but just been waiting for the right time.

Ride fast and furious but live to ride another day!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
So, you want to buy Taiwanese Sato Knock-offs....and later wonder why Sato Gear is so expensive. You get what you pay for. I see this as akin to pirating music.

From the sellers website:

ABOUT US
We Thai-racing Co, Ltd are CNC FACTORY which is specialized in motorcycle CNC Aluminum parts, involved in various famous brands like: HONDA, YAMAHA, SUZUKI, KAWASAKI, DUCATI, APRILIA, BMW, KTM etc.

We’ve gotten brake discs rotors and levers for any model on the market from 1988 onward. And we also offer CNC mirrors, rims, gas cap, rear sets, footpegs, clip on and other motorcycle aluminum parts.

And more, Our own team can design and make new designs based on your original samples, new entrant are also welcome. We also accept wholesale orders and could custom motorcycle parts for you.

This simply means they are blatantly copying other peoples hard work.

I don't like it.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
So, you want to buy Taiwanese Sato Knock-offs....and later wonder why Sato Gear is so expensive. You get what you pay for. I see this as akin to pirating music.

This simply means they are blatantly copying other peoples hard work.

I don't like it.
Whoa, here. I merely asked. Maybe someone here has dealt with this seller before, maybe not. While you are probably correct, in that these rearsets are copies, there is also the possibility they are the actual manufacturer. What does an I-phone cost Apple? Also made in China. Then they place their huge markups on it and sell them here. What if the I-phone factory sold a few units directly on ebay?? Bad for Apple. Sure. But the same product at a better price, good for me.

If I want to design/sell a product, I might source it to a shop overseas. For me, quality is more of a priority than price, I don't agree with outsourcing overseas however until our economy becomes more competitive with the rest of the world, these things will happen. I can't support making it illegal for a US company to outsource.

If these indeed are the same units Sato is selling, I might be interested.

However, like I said, I merely asked. I am not convinced I want to go with that design, anyway.

Thanks!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
If they are Sato rearsets, they have to be identified that way or trademark law gets you.

Outsourcing is far different from taking someone else's design work, copying it, and then selling it as something else.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 PM

If you ordered a set, we can compare notes when my Sato set comes in. Should be in after the holidays. Lmk. By the way, y'all probably noticed but the images on the eBay link are the same ones from Sato's site.

Art
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Talking

Indeed, I have a pair on my bike right now.

I also have real Sato's in a box That I used on my bike for a few Track Days, before I thought I better keep them for special occasions only

Can't compare quality No way, no how.

What made me laugh, was that the instructions for the cheapies are the Sato ones photo copied. Exactly the same, with the Sato logo in the corner. But they assemble differently

Now, I liken it to holding a genuine ROLEX Submariner in the left hand, while holding a genuine ROLEX Chinese fake in the other.

The real Sato's have superb milling and finish. The fake, well you know.........

The alloy is softer on the fakes. I have bent the gear lever over to touch the gear connecting rod, while on the track kicking the gears around! No worries for the Sato's.
I have quickly worn down the knurling on the foot peg of the fakes. Not so on the Sato's. The foot pegs of the fakes also fasten to the Position Adjustment Plate differently to the Sato's.

The bolt threads on the Sato are closely toleranced, nice and tight, like you can feel as though you can torque them up without stripping them. Not so the Fakes. Interestingly, I think most rear set manufacturers recommend to use Loctite. Fair enough I say, but with the fakes, I really doubted there reliability, like the bolts would undo, after lap after lap, so the Loctite was really good insurance for my piece of mind.

The bearings are of higher quality in the Sato's than the Chinese ones. Less notchy.

While they look the same, there are subtle differences, so they are not an exact copy. Plastic Toe Pegs also fasten differently between the two. Amoungst other slight changes.

I think if your bike has top quality parts, these fakes will look out of place. I would advise Randrew against letting these within a cooee of his bike. Well, laymen will not know they are cheap knock offs. But you will

So, I say, if you track your bike, and need good looking sacrificial rearsets, then these could be for you. Cheap to replace when you rip them off

If you like to buy jewellry for your bike, stick to the Sato's

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head, I would have to get them out and re-check
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Thank you Rob for the detailed compare.

Ride fast and furious but live to ride another day!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_b View Post
The real Sato's have superb milling and finish. The fake, well you know.........

The alloy is softer on the fakes. I have bent the gear lever over to touch the gear connecting rod, while on the track kicking the gears around! No worries for the Sato's.
I have quickly worn down the knurling on the foot peg of the fakes.
The bearings are of higher quality in the Sato's than the Chinese ones. Less notchy.

While they look the same, there are subtle differences, so they are not an exact copy. Plastic Toe Pegs also fasten differently between the two. Amoungst other slight changes.

/>
Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for. Probably not a good choice for me to buy. Greg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I just got a set that looks similar from Bohemian Racing in California. About the same price. Putting them on my SPR track bike.

I've only trial fitted the left side so far, so can't give much feedback other than they appear to be decent quality (haven't even tightened up the fasteners). They look like a good choice for a track bike. I got them in silver.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode