Spr#87qt +100 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Spr#87qt +100

Figured I'd get this knocked out.

A while ago a bike for sale in the Chicago area popped up and I inquired SPR#87QT if he knew any shops in the area that would be able to inspect this. He recommended a few shops, but he also offered to touch base with the seller and take a look at the bike in person.

Because the seller was a bit quirky, I was not able to simply wire money to the seller (cash only transaction). SPR#87QT offered to help me with the transaction of the bike. Moreover, he also coordinated with me to have the bike shipped back east.

This gentleman went above and beyond what anybody would normally want to ask of a forum member. I would definitely feel comfortable doing a transaction with him again or confirming him as a solid reference.

The bike is currently sitting w/ racegas, Stabil and StarTron ready for the spring. Thanks SPR#87QT!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ides; 12-11-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 AM

thats how awesome this site is for u

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Race gas doesn't keep to well so you may want to plan on redoing, or a super clean, of everything from the tank to the carbs. If the fuel is fairly new you'd be best to drain it all now and run some clean 93 premium through the bike before putting it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM

thought SPR#87QT was a girl..

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 PM
ASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
thought SPR#87QT was a girl..
They are both....shared account...

Ciao, Andreas
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
Race gas doesn't keep to well so you may want to plan on redoing, or a super clean, of everything from the tank to the carbs. If the fuel is fairly new you'd be best to drain it all now and run some clean 93 premium through the bike before putting it up.
What is the lesser of the two evils? Race gas (no ethanol, but other additives/chemicals not in street fuel) or 93 (with ethanol)?

I can head over to a marina in Eastern MD and get some ethanol free 93, if it came down to it, but that's a PITA. I'll do that if I can avoid another carb clean out in the spring.
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides View Post
What is the lesser of the two evils? Race gas (no ethanol, but other additives/chemicals not in street fuel) or 93 (with ethanol)?

I can head over to a marina in Eastern MD and get some ethanol free 93, if it came down to it, but that's a PITA. I'll do that if I can avoid another carb clean out in the spring.

Trust me race gas is not to be left sitting in a gas tank for any length of time. Guaranteed you'll be redoing your whole fuel system and cleaning the inside of your tank if left in there over the winter.

If it were my bike i'd go ahead and go through the trouble of draining everything from the tank. One can drain it out the petcock but to be sure you get it all out and from around any gaskets its best to remove the tank, drain, and let air out any fumes. You'll want to run the bike so all gas in the carbs is flushed out. After that it would be a good idea to run the fuel tune into a cup/reservoir of clean fresh premium gas and allowed to run for a few seconds(15-30). Remove tube from fuel source and allow to idle out again. This should flush anything harmful from the carbs.
You can put it all back together and simply leave it dry until spring time. The idea is to make sure you get all race fuel out of the tank, lines, carbs, etc. Not exactly sure how easily accessible the inside of a 900rr tank is but try to get all fuel out then slosh around some fresh fuel to help dilute any residual race fuel then drain that out best you can. Air dry, soak up any left over fuel with paper towels, compressed air, or any other method you figure is easiest for you to do in order to get the tank as dry as possible. The whole concept is to flush then leave dry until spring rolls around. Once you have regular unleaded pump fuel in the tank then you can store it with stabil(or equivalent) which should be the following year.....don't "have" to drain fuel each winter especially if the climate you live in is shorter than usual.

(edit: before trying the method below it would be most wise to make sure the gas has not started to turn. DO NOT RUN STALE FUEL THROUGH ANY MOTOR! Check by opening the gas cap and taking a sniff. Don't bury your nose down in the tank and take a big inhale at first. The fumes will burn like hell. A close moderate sniff one should be able to smell if its started to turn or not. If you aren't sure try a little closer and deeper. Only do this once twice cause the fumes can cause all kinds of odd things to begin to happen. One should be able to perceive an odd/stale smell from the tank within a sniff or two. Some fuels will smell sweet and this is not what i'm talking about. If one has never smelled stale gas and dones't think they could recognize it then don't chance it.....best to just drain it. However, if the race fuel has not yet started to turn then it can be run through the motor.)

Or if you have a chance to take a really long ride on the bike run it until it goes dry. Helps to be near a gas station or have a 1 gallon can on the back when it does die out. Must go through the reserve as well. Then fill up with premium pump unleaded and ride at least a few miles.

Last edited by varium; 12-13-2011 at 06:06 PM.
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 AM
MRT

Thumbs down

I am very happy that Gary went out of his way to help you, Ides.

Unfortunately, I had a very different experience dealing with Gary.

In March 2011 I paid Gary US$625 including shipping for a set of pipes he was selling. The pipes were supposed to be as new RG3's from his CC, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.

After about a month they hadn't showed, so I emailed him. His response was along the lines of shipping from the US to Aus can take a long time. Okay. CAG sends me stuff and it is usually here in a week, but I gave Gary the benefit of the doubt.

Another month, still nothing. "Oh, there was a mix up with the shipping. What's your address again?" Apparently the pipes got shipped to London????

3 months later, still nothing. "I am really sorry, sorting it out now." In the meantime my credit card has been hacked and my bank raises this particular paypal transaction as suspicious. All the while I have been asking for a consignment number, but none was offered.

And on it went until September, when Gary mysteriously stopped responding to my PM's. He doesn't repond to the email addy we were communicating with either......I know Gary and Jen are still regulars on the forum. They must have me on ignore or something.

So, Long story short, Gary got my $625 hard earned, and I got nothing. I know Gary and Jen are reasonably well respected on this forum, but be very cautious in dealing with them. I am sure they have their side as well, and if they would like to share it I am all ears.

Mat

Last edited by MRT; 01-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides View Post

Just a quick note about race gas.....some of the stuff is evil (even the Pro level race teams will siphon out the tank and then run straight gas into the system BETWEEN races )....but some of it is benign.

VP Race Fuel comes in many blends. They offer some that are not corrosive and will be fine left in the tank with stabilizers.....the ones that will turn your combustion chamber and ports (not to mention the inside of the carbs) into barnacle incrusted aluminium say so on the labels.

So the question is....what race gas do you have in there?....Oh, and StarTron is an ethanol treatment...useless in non-ethanol gas.

And Mat, very sorry to hear of the problems with Gary....just bought some SPR decals from him recently....no problems on my end. Perhaps he will chime in here and clear the air?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
I am very happy that Gary went out of his way to help you, Ides.

Unfortunately, I had a very different experience dealing with Gary.

In March 2011 I paid Gary US$625 including shipping for a set of pipes he was selling. The pipes were supposed to be as new RG3's from his CC, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.

After about a month they hadn't showed, so I emailed him. His response was along the lines of shipping from the US to Aus can take a long time. Okay. CAG sends me stuff and it is usually here in a week, but I gave Gary the benefit of the doubt.

Another month, still nothing. "Oh, there was a mix up with the shipping. What's your address again?" Apparently the pipes got shipped to London????

3 months later, still nothing. "I am really sorry, sorting it out now." In the meantime my credit card has been hacked and my bank raises this particular paypal transaction as suspicious. All the while I have been asking for a consignment number, but none was offered.

And on it went until September, when Gary mysteriously stopped responding to my PM's. He doesn't repond to the email addy we were communicating with either......I know Gary and Jen are still regulars on the forum. They must have me on ignore or something.

So, Long story short, Gary got my $625 hard earned, and I got nothing. I know Gary and Jen are reasonably well respected on this forum, but be very cautious in dealing with them. I am sure they have their side as well, and if they would like to share it I am all ears.

Mat
Not nice to see Mat.
Be good to see the result, as I remember you mentioning this some time back.
Hope it can be sorted.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode