Another quality dealer not - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Another quality dealer not

Took my bike back to dealers today to sort out the throttle issue at slower speeds. Dealer is Hampshire MV Agusta at Waterlooville.
After synchronising the throttle bodies which has cured the problem they presented me with a bill for 89. I said I thought it should be a warranty issue as I bought the bike new from them 6 months ago and expected it to run smoothly having paid 10,000 for it but he wasn't having any of it. He went on to tell me that as I do my own serviceing there could be an issue if I ever had a warranty claim. I told him that as long as the work was carried out by a "competent " person using genuine parts and in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance schedule they were legally bound to honour the warranty and as a licensed aircraft engineer I am competent.
Anyway I got the bike home. A trip of 55 miles and while cleaning it I spotted that his mechanic had left several bolts finger tight on the right hand radiator cover. He had started the bolts by hand just and forgotten to tighten them up. How bits never fell off on the ride home I will never know. Shop was closed when I found this out so will phone tomorrow and show my displeasure. This just reinforces my motto of if you need to be sure a job is done properly do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM

Thats pretty shady. Might be best to figure out your countries MV warranty rep and get them on the phone while youre at the shop. Confused why he wouldnt even try to get it warrantied. Its not like warranty repairs come out of dealers pockets.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your dealer. My dealer is trying hard to not warranty my license plate blinker that decided to jump ship while I was riding. I just don't understand some people.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned

It's nice that my motorcycle comes with a warranty, and I understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but I basically don't trust anyone to work on my stuff but me.

I understand that some do not have the background that guys like me and squidger have, but honestly, I don't trust my local car dealer to handle a mechanism as complex as the engine oil drain plug on my car, and I don't trust the local tire shop to handle a mechanism as complex as the lug nuts on my car.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 PM
col

New Site Garage
thats quite normal from a dealer /brand .. If you do your own service you can make your warranty invalid . how does the dealer know you gave it the so called service , plus part of his money he hopes to make out of selling a bike comes from doing services

i have a form of dislexia as i have said plenty of time and it dont bother me .................. but im not stupid or a tard so dont try it on

MV Brutale's go faster than a crackheads dole payment and that's fast

I WAS A BIKER BEFORE IT BECAME A FASHION STATEMENT
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
thats quite normal from a dealer /brand .. If you do your own service you can make your warranty invalid .
No it can't. Sounds like you need to educate yourself on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Quote:
how does the dealer know you gave it the so called service...
It's none of the dealer's effing business whether the service got done or not- if you present the vehicle at the manufacturer's representative (the dealership) for repair of a defect in manufacturing, the burden of proof would be upon the manufacturer to prove that you caused the problem. If you don't change the engine oil and the powertrain control module takes a dump, they're still paying for it (unless they want to get sued...and then still pay for it).

Quote:
...plus part of his money he hopes to make out of selling a bike comes from doing services
Try this: "hope" in one hand, and take a dump in the other, then get back to us and tell us which one is fuller.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Banned

I'll give an example- Let's say you take your new MV Agusta motorcycle to the MV Agusta dealer and pay them for an oil change, but they double-gasket the oil filter. On the way home, it pushes all the oil out, the engine seizes up, locks the rear wheel, the bike falls down, and is totaled.

In this scenario, MV Agusta doesn't owe you a freeking penny.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Sorry to hear about your dealer. My dealer is trying hard to not warranty my license plate blinker that decided to jump ship while I was riding. I just don't understand some people.
What's a license plate blinker?
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Took my bike back to dealers today to sort out the throttle issue at slower speeds. Dealer is Hampshire MV Agusta at Waterlooville.
After synchronising the throttle bodies which has cured the problem they presented me with a bill for 89. I said I thought it should be a warranty issue as I bought the bike new from them 6 months ago and expected it to run smoothly having paid 10,000 for it but he wasn't having any of it.
Did it run poorly on the day you took delivery, and if so, why did you accept it in that condition?

If the throttle body sync (which is an adjustment) was defective, it would have been apparent immediately upon delivery.

Quote:
He went on to tell me that as I do my own serviceing there could be an issue if I ever had a warranty claim. I told him that as long as the work was carried out by a "competent " person using genuine parts and in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance schedule they were legally bound to honour the warranty and as a licensed aircraft engineer I am competent.
You are absolutely correct, and he is tap-dancing on a legal landmine.

Quote:
Anyway I got the bike home. A trip of 55 miles and while cleaning it I spotted that his mechanic had left several bolts finger tight on the right hand radiator cover. He had started the bolts by hand just and forgotten to tighten them up. How bits never fell off on the ride home I will never know. Shop was closed when I found this out so will phone tomorrow and show my displeasure.
This is a dealership issue, not an MV Agusta issue. At the very least, they owe you an apology.

Quote:
This just reinforces my motto of if you need to be sure a job is done properly do it yourself.
I feel the same way.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
thats quite normal from a dealer /brand .
I've been on sport bikes since '84, and that's not my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode