New Dragster, Insurance costs - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

New Dragster, Insurance costs

Hey guys, I'm currently on my RE's (which is a restricted Queensland licence in Australia). I'll be getting my Dragster in 6 months and about to put a deposit down on one cause I'm am head over heels in love with it. My question is however how you guys find your insurance costs? I currently ride a Honda CB500F and it costs peanuts. Not that costs are going to stop my purchase but I'm trying to work out what I'm getting myself into!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Established Member

i know in usa, my annual costs tripled from what i paid for my ducati monster *shrugs*
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 PM

Hi mate good one on getting into the MV scene after racing and riding jap bikes all my life I got myself a B3 and love it warts and all. Ring around if it's not a daily commuter or you intend riding it only a couple times a week you can get okay deals ,try Shannon's, Swann insurance , but make sure you read the fine print on any deal to avoid being shafted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Im in nsw, cheapest I found was insure my ride. The quote I got from swann was ridiculous. Only burden is theres no pay by the month

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Established Member

In NZ I was surprised to be paying virtually the same as I was for my FZ1 Fazer that is worth less than half as much. My Fazer insurer wouldn't insure an MV - just their rules. Pretty glad they made me shop around! :-)

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks lads, I called my current insurer, QBE which I only pay $35 month for premium full comprehensive insurance. They quoted me $108/ month, which is pretty pricey. I'll definitely be shopping around a bit. Thanks for the advice I'll try Insure my ride, Shannons and Swanns.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 PM

Give us some more info. Location, age, etc. For example, I'm 20, in LA, and have 1 speeding ticket. I pay $109 for full coverage from State Farm. Do a ton of shopping. I got quoted anywhere from 1200-8000 a year.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'll give more info once I call other insurers, but;
its a low risk area, always garaged, I'm 27, 2 speeding tickets in the last 3 years, 5 years with no insurance claims, Only rider, Daily use
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM

assuming youre in the states...I found that by far the cheapest were state farm and AAA. AAA will give you a discount for having in garaged. Theyll also give you a huge discount+dividends after the first year (mine would have dropped over $500 after the first year). State farm turned out to be cheaper for me. But be warned! I called state farm on a wednesday and got a quote for 1000 a year. Went to bind the policy at the dealer on sunday. They had to start a new quote since I spoke with another agent. Premium changed to 370 a month! They eventually changed it to 180 a month. But they told me that it goes off to the underwriters and could triple after the first 5 days of coverage. I told them that was absurd and got them to send my policy to underwriting without binding it. They came back two days later with a fixed quote for 109 a month. I bought the bike the same day.

Moral of the story...if you have time before getting the bike then ask for the quote to be checked by an underwriter before you bind. Could save you from a huge financial issue.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Established Member

I'm in NZ, mid 40s, good history, garaged, they didn't seem too interested in tickets. Paying $750/annum (about US$650), but could probably get that down to $650 if I shopped around some more.

Last edited by FazerDude; 07-30-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode