Heinen Motorsports - Beware - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Heinen Motorsports - Beware

Here's my interaction with this business and the owner. I will never purchase anything from them again. It was my first MV and the first vehicle I've purchased new.

The dealership is Heinen’s Motorsports in Osseo MN

I had an agreement (I have an electronic copy of the agreement) with the owner of the dealership Paul Heinen. The deal included shipping, the bike and a front and rear pitbull stand.

We agreed on a payment plan over a 4-5 month time frame with the last payment to be made February 1st. We conversed mainly via email throughout this timeframe. Early on I let him know I was interested in tank protector, a service manual and a few oil filters. I wanted to purchase these and have them shipped with the bike. The interaction started to turn south near the end of the agreement when he stopped returning my emails and if he did reply they were several days later. When he did reply he wouldn’t answer my questions. At one point he got me in touch with John in his parts department to get the tank protector, oil filters and service manual taken care of.

I had asked Paul in numerous emails to confirm the total amount for the bike and the extras so I could send him one check for everything. He was either at a snowmobile race or on vacation or some other excuse. Needless to say I didn’t get the final payment out until the end of the first week of February.

I honestly would have backed out of this whole deal based on the late interactions with him. The only reason I didn’t was because of the price I paid for the bike. Apparently, you do actually get what you pay.

My personal interactions with Paul – He told me on the phone that my emails were, “annoying” because I kept asking the same questions over and over. Yes the owner of a dealership told a customer they were annoying because they continued to ask questions he never answered. I’d send an email and he either wouldn’t reply at all or if he did he did not answer my questions. Funniest part about this - I was a new customer and I had expressed interest in buying a new Yamaha snowmobile for my wife in the spring of this year as long as this MV deal went smoothly. Approximately a week after they received the check I reached out a few times to find out when the bike would ship. Paul told me, “it would be another week or two because we just got a foot of snow” and they had to address the snowmobilers needs first. He said the bike shipment would be, “put on the back burner.”

Here are main issues I’ve had with Paul and this dealership:

1) The bar end (throttle side) fell out on my very first ride
2) He flat out told me via phone and email the bike had never been started and had zero miles.
a. The odometer discloser and certificate of origin both indicate 1 mile
b. From what I understand this is normal because the MV factory runs it in a bit. However he should not have told me it had never been started.
c. It had gas in the tank and 6 miles on the odometer when I received it.
3) The bike did not come with a tool kit. Monte told me MV is no longer shipping these with new motorcycles.
4) The bike arrived with damaged mirrors because of improper shipping
a. They did send me replacement mirrors which had been previously used on another bike as evident by bug juice, dirt, and scratches.
b. I had to pay (roughly $20-$25) to ship my mirrors to him before he’d ship me the used replacement mirrors. They returned the used mirrors in the same packaging I sent. The box was falling apart by the time it got back to me.
c. The bike was shipped with the mirrors and windshield installed. They had to modify the standard MV shipping container to accommodate the taller package. Basically there was an air gap approximately 3 inches high all the way around the package. The mirrors were damaged in shipment from hitting/rubbing on the sides of the shipping container.
5) The bike arrived with a scratch/gouge on the red trellis frame. I do not believe this was from shipping. I do believe this was in place while at the dealership.
a. Paul told me the bike did not have any damage or scratches via email and over the phone.
b. Monte has been telling me he’s trying to get MV to send some touch up paint and a tool kit but thus far I’ve received nothing and it's been months!
c. I want to get this sealed up so it doesn’t rust
d. I also believe it’s BS they didn’t tell me about this
6) He did not send me a front Pit Bull stand as we agreed on. Their excuse was the payment was received 7-14 days after February 1st and they incurred additional fees and wouldn’t be willing to include the stand.

Never again will I purchase anything from them.

2012 F4R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ah the foibles of buying long distance or over the internet. Sorry to hear of your disappointments.

Have to say, the dealer is required to set-up, service and test ride a vehicle before handing it over to a customer. This is simple liability protection and a final QA check....all manufacturers require this.

Didn't think Pit Bull had a front stand to work on the MVs....at least not on mine, I've spoken directly with them about this. Maybe they have one for the new models, I don't know?
Hope You get it all sorted.

I hear horror stories about people buying Hondas and Yamaha's and other bikes long distance....there was a dealer in Ohio infamous for delivering your new bike in the dead of night, and when you finally saw the paperwork you had been soaked for a bundle of money in the deal, undisclosed until delivery. And since you were hundreds of miles away and in another state, good luck getting satisfaction. They finally got put out of business.....

There's a certain fellow who used to be the number one Honda bike dealer in the country....advertising prices that were less than most dealers were paying Honda for the same bikes.....but when you made the trip to pick it up the deal always changed....since you just drove 500 miles you were inclined to go ahead and buy even though you could have gotten it at your friendly local dealer for about the same amount....that fellow is now banished and Honda has advised their dealers they will be terminated if they enter any kind of management or consultancy deal with him.

Caveat emptor as they say.....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've left reviews about this in many places. I've also filled a bbb compliant but I'm not holding my breath. I wrote this more or less as an FYI for those thinking about buying from this dealership. Thanks.

2012 F4R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Seismic, you are not the first....unfortunately..

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 AM

New Site Garage
That sucks, but you are not alone. Master mechanic friend of mine and a business owner says that techs that can't cut auto servicing become motorcycle mechanics oftentimes graduating from UTI (untrained idiots), I suspect the PDI person(s) caused a bit of the damage. As far as the other bits, my responses below:
1) The bar end (throttle side) fell out on my very first ride **PDI mistake I swapped mine out on delivery, and checked all cosmetic fittings and found a couple of loose bits on both my bikes**
2) He flat out told me via phone and email the bike had never been started and had zero miles. **common to put miles on during prep for verification of brakes and general running**
a. The odometer discloser and certificate of origin both indicate 1 mile **as above**
b. From what I understand this is normal because the MV factory runs it in a bit. However he should not have told me it had never been started. **as above, the business owner was uptalking the sale rather than having to say that you are an idiot for not knowing this**
c. It had gas in the tank and 6 miles on the odometer when I received it. **as above, if you wanted an un-PDI'd bike you may be able to get one but that may affect the warranty**
3) The bike did not come with a tool kit. Monte told me MV is no longer shipping these with new motorcycles. **lying sack of shyte dealer**
4) The bike arrived with damaged mirrors because of improper shipping **PDI/deliver snafu, lack of attention to detail by untrained idiot**
a. They did send me replacement mirrors which had been previously used on another bike as evident by bug juice, dirt, and scratches. **Illegal business practice of passing on old for new**
b. I had to pay (roughly $20-$25) to ship my mirrors to him before he’d ship me the used replacement mirrors. They returned the used mirrors in the same packaging I sent. The box was falling apart by the time it got back to me. **Dealer that doesn't give a shyte after the sale**
c. The bike was shipped with the mirrors and windshield installed. They had to modify the standard MV shipping container to accommodate the taller package. Basically there was an air gap approximately 3 inches high all the way around the package. The mirrors were damaged in shipment from hitting/rubbing on the sides of the shipping container. **as above, done by untrained idiot**
5) The bike arrived with a scratch/gouge on the red trellis frame. I do not believe this was from shipping. I do believe this was in place while at the dealership. **more untrained idiocy**
a. Paul told me the bike did not have any damage or scratches via email and over the phone. **Liar, even brand new can have a little mark, touch up required by dealer during PDI would be in order**
b. Monte has been telling me he’s trying to get MV to send some touch up paint and a tool kit but thus far I’ve received nothing and it's been months! **Lazy dealer, don't want to call Italy and have them courier it**
c. I want to get this sealed up so it doesn’t rust **use auto clearcoat or order color match from paint store here in L.A. exact match**
d. I also believe it’s BS they didn’t tell me about this **stick it to the customer mentality**
6) He did not send me a front Pit Bull stand as we agreed on. Their excuse was the payment was received 7-14 days after February 1st and they incurred additional fees and wouldn’t be willing to include the stand. **not sure what the agreement was, but if part of the sale was for the pitbull and you made good on your end of the deal, then they owe u this part**

Hope this helps

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North

Last edited by Fragile; 06-20-2014 at 12:32 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 AM

New Site Garage
Oh yeah, hey, be grateful they didn't slap your exhaust on with tin foil that ended up in pieces in the muffler! Sorry to hear of your experience however. If you got a good deal on the bike then consider yourself break even in that you really did not get any discount because of your troubles. I work in the tech field and at least 7 out of 10 persons you meet lack in attention to detail. If you are looking for a 9/10ths buying experience, you will have about a 30% chance of getting that experience. Good luck. JMO

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North

Last edited by Fragile; 06-20-2014 at 12:38 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Fragile. Monte (sales manager) told me they did not PDI ride the bike because of weather. He said they did start it but that was it. I did get a good deal but they are shady and I wanted everyone to know.

2012 F4R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Someone PM'd me this link -

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ghlight=Heinen

Apparently, another forum member has had fun with these guys as well.

I've contacted MV USA and we'll see if I get anywhere with them.

Thanks.

2012 F4R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Not Agusta related, but this thread shows up when searching for Heinen’s Motorsports. Just my experience, but this is what happened to me when you buy sight unseen and have things shipped:

I ordered a watercraft. New. Zero hours. Great deal. Sorta the "motorcycle" variety of jetskis - at least what remains of them. It arrived (after some problems tracking it) in a crate with obvious damage. The damage was noted at time of delivery, an "exception" was generated, and Heinen's was immediately notified via email with photos and a copy of the damage report.

I was asked to produce estimates on repair, which I did, and took a bit of time as not all shops will work on craft like this. After producing that estimate, I was told that it appeared to be out of line with the damage and likely to be denied. I reminded them that I contracted with them to have it delivered, not a 3rd party. Regardless, I got a 2nd estimate, which was higher.

The damage here is really the fault of the transport company. But I paid Heinen to ship it and what i paid was 87% higher than the actual shipping invoice, so it's not like legitimate insurance was impossible.

I was told that it'd take "a few weeks" to get the claim responded to. That was over 8 weeks ago. They don't appear to be taking responsibility for it. At least they've had more than enough time to do so.

Good news is that it's still usable - although you don't typically buy something "new" to have it arrive looking like this...

Heinen: Sorry to post this, but 8 weeks is more than enough time to get it straight.

Here's what it looked like at delivery time, damage goes all the way back:

Last edited by dcg9381; 11-05-2015 at 03:43 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Got my MV from Heinen's... Great price, bike has warranty issues they are sorting out.... all is good. They gave me no grief for the gaskets leaking, or the fuel tank swell issue. Just a little slow on getting parts from Italy, can't blame them for that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode