MV Agusta Forum banner

Airbox mods revisited.

14K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  acruhl 
#1 ·
I found the air box mod on my Brute.

Just remove the snokels from the box and it opens up the intakes a huge amount. I'm sure they are for noise regulations. I'll report if the intake roar is louder.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
well....
i'd love to hear what the result is and you've changed the INDUCTION ROAR.... one of my favorite sounds on earth
please keep us informed
thanks for the images.... would love to see A LOT MORE

#5 ·
148 rwhp?? (Crank maybe) That would be awesome but I'm hoping for 130. Base 910's are pushing out 116-121 base and with minor mods.

You should see the cute little MV box the chip came in. I left it at the shop, but I'll post picts tomorrow.

This full system is more work than I thought.

Chip, different spark plug gap, TPS adjustment, and air screws also different.

You WILL be seeing weight differential and plenty-O-dyno graphs in the next few days.

John T

#6 ·
i can't wait to see all that info
i can't believe that you had to RE-gap the spark plugs... and different air screws....
what the hell is THAT all about ?

#8 ·
well...
the 910R already can eat the S4Rs by a long run.... even before the mods

......... especially when the ducati (with its 3 gallon tank and 25mpg rating) runs out of gas after 75 miles :toothless

#10 ·
After looking in the manual...I can't see how you take off airbox covers..in one step, they take off the gas tank sides, then the next steo they show the gas tank getting taken off...with the covers already off...how do I take them off? it never shows it!

#12 ·
oicdn said:
After looking in the manual...I can't see how you take off airbox covers..in one step, they take off the gas tank sides, then the next steo they show the gas tank getting taken off...with the covers already off...how do I take them off? it never shows it!
My tank was off to get the computer out and chip in.

Just grab the rubber snorkel and work it off.

#13 ·
Hmmmm. I don't know if this is the right thing to do, as the airbox covers show a designed/engineered curve, probably to steer the airflow to a certain point to cool down. If you take the cover out, airflow might just tumble around, meaning not doing the job and just creating extra drag......maybe, ...it is just a thought....

#14 · (Edited)
spalding12 said:
well...
the 910R already can eat the S4Rs by a long run.... even before the mods

......... especially when the ducati (with its 3 gallon tank and 25mpg rating) runs out of gas after 75 miles :toothless
It's odd that, all the mags slate the Brutale and the KTM Superduke for mileage from a tankfull, yet as far as I can see thay have missed the monster out, my S4R used to hold 15litres, the new S4RS holds 2 litres less :confused: Oh, be carefull taking on a S4R/S4RS, they too can have "mods" you know :naughty: .
My S4R with two teeth extra on the rear sprocket, Arrow exhaust kit with air box mod, and Power commander really was one :devilsmok bad ass bike, I thought a few times it was one step too far, some people who had the conversion done actually returned and had the smaller rear sprocket put back on to calm it down a little.

I can understand Castiglioni saying the F4 1000 motor (in F4 guise) is too much for the naked upright Brutale, I think it may have spoiled the bike?

#15 ·
mikef4uk said:
I can understand Castiglioni saying the F4 1000 motor (in F4 guise) is too much for the naked upright Brutale, I think it may have spoiled the bike?
but it really is NOT that motor
136 hp vs. 172... not the same

while i can understand having to "work" for your power....
no one got more out of his R1200GS than me....
ask all the squids in my town about that :)
but....
i'm enjoying having "power in excess" in the 910R
after 150,000 miles of riding, i think i deserve more power than i need :D

#16 ·
airfuel said:
My tank was off to get the computer out and chip in.

Just grab the rubber snorkel and work it off.
No, how do you remove the screened covers...ya know, the things that you can get carbon replacements for on the sides of the tank....

#17 ·
spalding12 said:
but it really is NOT that motor
136 hp vs. 172... not the same
I know it's not the same motor, but MV DID fit the 1000 into a Brutale and Castiglioni rode the bike in the mountains around the back of Varese and said
"It is too much for the Brutale" hence the 910 engine :)

#19 ·
oicdn said:
No, how do you remove the screened covers...ya know, the things that you can get carbon replacements for on the sides of the tank....
Take the tank off, turn over and remove the screws that hold the screened covers on. Or have someone hold the tank up in the air and attack from below.

John T

#20 ·
Yeah...I got to the part where I had to take off the tank last night, where I just had to lift and take it off...got worried about the fuel fittings and put it all back together.

I'm gonna do it later this afternoon when I have more time. Last night I didn't have much time to take everything apart (and I had to use the bike to go pick somebody up) so I'll do it later this afternoon...

Do you know how much this will affect anything other than noise?? I'm all for having a louder growl...

On an 01 R6, I know the tunnels don't do jack in the airbox, and I removed them...I didn't gain anything either(not even noise!), but the duct work is alot different on this than on an R6...as is the airbox. Do you think it'll have any negative effect?

#21 ·
Actually, looking at the snorkels(in your pics), it looks like all they do is create an S bend in the airbox, no so much direct air anywhere...so hopefully...it does get louder as you suspect...man, I wanna go home to do this now :laughing:

#24 ·
airfuel said:
This full system is more work than I thought.

Chip, different spark plug gap, TPS adjustment, and air screws also different.

You WILL be seeing weight differential and plenty-O-dyno graphs in the next few days.

John T
Hi John, wondering where you came by this info? I got the full Ti system on my bike with the Corse chip and am getting stalling issues now. Adjusted vacuum and CO to 3.5 to no avail. Stock chip does not help as well. Do you think e NGK CR9EIX plugs will help?

Cheers

ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.