MV Agusta Forum banner

big tour planned on Brutale

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  toddburk 
#1 ·
So I've just mentally committed to taking the Brute on a pretty serious trip- starting June 1. I'm going to ride from Santa Fe to the Bay area for a weekend seminar and visit some friends. Then I'll ride up the coast as far as Portland, Or. to visit some other friends, and finally, work my way back home via Denver. All in all I'm guessing about 4,000 miles. I have 17 days, which is plenty barring bad weather, or heaven forbid, mechanical problems. I've done a fair number of long trips on other bikes, and a couple of multi day trips on the Brute, but nothing this long. Though the bike has been great, reliable, fun, etc., part of me is still a little nervous about its "exotic" Italian heritage- that is, I hope to hell it doesn't leave me stranded in the Nevada desert. I recently had a major service done (including changing the rear hub bearings) , and will change oil and tires right before I leave. That and some cortisone injections into my butt, and I think I'll be ready. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Good luck dude, that sounds like a sick trip. I am definetly not in enough bike shape to make that kinda trip. I am working my way past 150-200 in day. But I've also started to work out pretty hard which is attributing to my soreness. Have fun, ride hard, and make sure you hit some of the pacific coast highway while your in Cali:f4::yo:

#4 ·
Wow, you definitely have more 'nads than myself! I've done several multi-day/weekend trips with my F4 - in fact earlier this month I did a 4 day/1100 mile trip to the Ozarks - but for a trip such as the magnitude you're talking about, I'd certainly want some sort of a dedicated sport tourer.

#7 · (Edited)
Good luck on your trip. My girlfriend and I are leaving next month for a 2 week trip from here to West Virginia. We'll be riding thru Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina mountains and then thru West Virginia, which as we found out last year, had the best roads of all those places.
I'm going on my Buell Ulysses though. I work out 4-5 days a week and am in great shape, but it's really not an issue of strength or endurance as much as a comfort issue. We did the same trip of roughly 3,300 miles last year. The Buell is more of a dual-sport so in my case, as much as I'd LOVE to have the Brutale once I'm THERE, it'd be tough to ride it there since i do have the option of the Buell.
For this years trip we decided to change things up a bit . See the last time we wasted 2 days (1,000 miles & almost 1/3 of the trip) just getting in and out of Florida. This time we're going to ride up and take the autotrain back. It'll give us a few more days to ride around up north in the mountains. If any of you have ever driven or ridden ALL the way thru florida I'm sure you understand. We have the flattest, straightest and most un-interesting roads known to man.
Anyway, not to discourage you but just make sure to take your time and stop every 75 miles or so to take a break. If you do that you should be ok. Oh and be sure to take a tire repair kit with a co2 air-pump and spare cartridges. That's more likely to keep you stranded than the rest of the bike.

#8 ·
I keep a small tire repair kit under the seat- good reminder to check its condition. I'm also pretty fit, and I had the stock seat re-gelled, so that helps, a little. My experience is that the first 2 days are the hardest, after that your butt and mind both start to accept what you're doing. Does that mean I have my head up my a--? Maybe. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'll be sure and post up any worthwhile pics when I get back. (Gus: yeah, I understand about Florida, I'm a former east-coaster..)

#11 ·
Without knowing your condition or tolerance for long rides, it hard to say - but I reckon you will be apples! I have taken my Brute on several 2,000km plus tours over 2 days...and enjoyed every minute!!

I am 36 and relatively fit - but regardless, a long bike ride on any bike is going to hurt a little?

I do not bother with an airhawk or seat padding - and I am fine. I got great weighted bar ends from Motovation to remove the handle bar buzz. For me, the bike is now as comfortable as it needs to be for long tours.

Therefore, forget about this, and focus on the positive aspects. The key here is route planning, and to pick a route that has a percentage of travel that suits the Brute. In other words, avoid lengthy stints on the freeways, and venture off the main drag to take in some twisties, and undulating roads.

Freeways are OK, and sometimes cannot be avoided - but keep them to a minimum for maximum Brute effect!!

Having spent a little time with the Army (I am still a Reservist) I was taught long ago that great organisations use a little pain and suffering to help others bond and it is the suffering that makes for a great story!!

A bike ride with zero discomfort and challenges is like a book with no pages!!

Think journey...think adventure, find twisties and all will be sweet!!

Enjoy!!

#13 ·
Therefore, forget about this, and focus on the positive aspects. The key here is route planning, and to pick a route that has a percentage of travel that suits the Brute. In other words, avoid lengthy stints on the freeways, and venture off the main drag to take in some twisties, and undulating roads.

Freeways are OK, and sometimes cannot be avoided - but keep them to a minimum for maximum Brute effect!!

Think journey...think adventure, find twisties and all will be sweet!!

Enjoy!!
Luke is 100% right. And trust me, if I didn't have the Ulysses I wouldn't let it keep me from making a trip. But like he said, plan your route to avoid long stretches highways and not only will it be less tiresome, but it's SO much more enjoyable. I mean, I can't say that enough.
Our trip last year (and this year) consisted of back roads almost exclusively and it was the best thing we could have done. And now with google's street view you can take a look around and see what the road is like even if you've never been on it.

#12 ·
I guess we all have different levels of pain threshold and tolerance for different things. Some to do with age (it's a long long time since I was 36) some to anatomy and fitness.

On my trek up the coast with the new Brute last January - 730km up and 540km down - I was glad I had the airhawke but could live with the vibes on the handlebars (they only seem to happen at certain revs and the 910R does have heavy bar ends anyway). The next bit of pain could be around the neck or anywhere in the back, but as long as you're busy tackling twisties you seem to be fine. Last, you do need to stretch your legs every now and then to relieve muscle tension. All in all, the Brute can be a fantastic sports tourer. In fact I'm setting it up for touring : I got the Elite seat sak on the back and just received my MotoCorse MV tank bag from Italy.
And don't believe people who say it's too cramped. At 6'1" and 90 odd kg I feel quite at ease on it.
I for one couldn't wipe the smile off my face during the whole trip.

#15 ·
It will all hinge on only one thing, how much you enjoy the Brutale and riding in general. Given your other trips, if it really were a bad move you wouldn't be considering it. There will likely be a one or two day stretch about 5 days in where you wish you were home but it will pass. Don't pass on a rare opportunity! Check her over every morning and bring plenty of advil, you'll have an experience many of us will envy.

In 02 I rode a naked from Tampa to Key West. It was rather disappointing in several ways but no regrets.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey y'all- As the trip gets closer I have less time to consider whether if its a good move or not. Instead, I'm more preoccupied with the logistics of making it happen. New tires today, repair my tent, get a new Thermorest, plan a route etc. I have done enough long trips to know what I'm in for. I agree about a little pain (or at least discomfort) being part of the experience. Comfort is not such the big deal. Pirsig said something like that in "Zen and the Art of..." :"Physical discomfort is only a problem if the atitude is wrong..."
Some of the desert stretches are boring, but I look for the squiggliest curves on the map when I can, stretch when I have to. Even been know to find a place to pull over and take a 20 minute nap. I think one of my favorite parts is the camping at night. Being able to pull over after a long day's ride, set up a tent and just Be. The scenery and great roads are ok too!
And I almost forgot. The real reason for the trip. I'm tired of being jealous of all you guys who live at sea level. Up here at 7,000 feet I lost about 15 horse power. I want my 15 horses back!
Thanks for the support. I'll keep y'all posted.
Michael

#17 ·
Hey y'all- As the trip gets closer I have less time to consider whether if its a good move or not. Instead, I'm more preoccupied with the logistics of making it happen. New tires today, repair my tent, get a new Thermorest, plan a route etc. I have done enough long trips to know what I'm in for. I agree about a little pain (or at least discomfort) being part of the experience. Comfort is not such the big deal. Pirsig said something like that in "Zen and the Art of..." :"Physical discomfort is only a problem if the atitude is wrong..."
Some of the desert stretches are boring, but I look for the squiggliest curves on the map when I can, stretch when I have to. Even been know to find a place to pull over and take a 20 minute nap. I think one of my favorite parts is the camping at night. Being able to pull over after a long day's ride, set up a tent and just Be. The scenery and great roads are ok too!
And I almost forgot. The real reason for the trip. I'm tired of being jealous of all you guys who live at sea level. Up here at 7,000 feet I lost about 15 horse power. I want my 15 horses back!
Thanks for the support. I'll keep y'all posted.
Michael
Michael,

If you get to Portland and want to ride a few nice "secret spots", hit me up. Let me know if interested and I'll PM you my cell number. We've got a great group of motorcyclists here in P-town and there's some really good rides around Mt. Hood. Or if you simply want some recommendations, I can send you a few recommendations only. At any rate, I had a brutale two years ago and did about 1,500 in 5 days throughout central and eastern oregon and I must admit, sore ass aside, it was one of the most memorable times I've had in a long time. Get pass the sore ass, enjoy the trip, stop whenever you see something cool you want to explore and have fun. BTW...former east coaster myself.

Cheers,
Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.