Reliability; Performance; Looks - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Reliability; Performance; Looks

All in the above order.

At the age of 54, soon to be 55 and after 3 - F4's then a gap of 4 years without a bike due to broken neck and broken back, it is time again for a new bike.

Shock Horror, MV no longer make F4 or such as B4 (1090)
So first bikes I looked at were the F3 and B3 800's, but reliability and spares "may" knock this bike back, still deciding.
Other bikes considered are the excellent BMW S 1000R, both in performance and reliability, - looks not so much, and possibly the Triumph speed triple although haven't read up much on this yet.
. I think I need to message Bruce Taylor and get his advice on F3's etc as I remember from years ago the mapping issues he used to have.
Anyway, no "if's or "but's" a new bike is on the cards, whether a MV (possible Brutale) or another brand, looking to pay up to a max of 14k new or if 2nd hand around 8k for a BMW S1000R or Brutale with around 5000 miles or lower in pristine condition.

comments would be appreciated especially on reliability and spares with the brands mentioned above, although the word "Ducati" has started flashing in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:45 AM

Why not a 2nd generation (2010+) F4.

My experience of owning one for nearly 4 years now (which is not unusual if you speak to others on here) is that it ticks all of your boxes.

Reliability - yes (other than minor niggles mine has not missed a beat and has never let me down)
Performance - more than you will ever be able to use on the road
Looks - duh

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 AM

PS I have 5 Ducati owning friends all of whom took the piss when I bought an unreliable MV Agusta. They have all had issues with their bikes
esq'z me and revhead1957 like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Why not a 2nd generation (2010+) F4.

My experience of owning one for nearly 4 years now (which is not unusual if you speak to others on here) is that it ticks all of your boxes.

Reliability - yes (other than minor niggles mine has not missed a beat and has never let me down)
Performance - more than you will ever be able to use on the road
Looks - duh
Hawk;
I absolutely agree with what you are saying and the F4 was built for me, I know it inside out, used to have every spare you can need and the rideability suited me fine.
only 2 set backs with this;
1; I live is Scotland, the present Scottish Government aims to have Scotland as the top World leader in emission free driving, I dont think the 2nd Generation F4 is Euro3, never mind Euro 4 /5 and sadly because of our sh*t face government I have to look into emission's, dont want to purchase a bike that I would be unable to ride due to emission failing at MOT.
2; recovery of fractured back and neck make the F4 a bit more difficult for me now. but I would accept that and the pain if emissions were okay with the bike.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 AM

That's not good - sorry to hear you live in Scotland

Seriously though, is this legislation actually likely to come in. I really can't see it being supported once the ramifications are understood.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
That's not good - sorry to hear you live in Scotland

Seriously though, is this legislation actually likely to come in. I really can't see it being supported once the ramifications are understood.
For City riding absolutely, and for new bike purchase 1st Jan next year all new bikes have to be euro5
fuck Scottish Parliament are fuck wicks, they should realise the majority of us live in rural countryside and yet they are hell bent on new emission laws, just hope they lose votes at next election.

Just off the phone to Bennet's Motorcycles taking about this issue too, and passed on a lot of info on what MV's I am looking for. Obviously they are keen to help.

I may say bollocks to it all if some UK person on here has a 312R low mileage, or a 1090 Brutale
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 AM
You are welcome to take my Tuono V4 for a spin Saroy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
@SAROY Let me see if I understand this.... You will not be able to operate any vehicle in Scotland that doesn't meet Euro5 regulations??? even if it was built prior to the mandated start date? Even if you buy a used vehicle that was built prior to the start date?

So everyone will have to scrap their current vehicles (cars and trucks included) and buy something that meets the Euro5 regulations. The old stuff just relegated to the scrap metal bin?

I know the manufacturers can't sell anything with old emissions specs ...and the dealers will only have so long to sell any remainders... but surely, if you own it today, you don't have to scrap it tomorrow????

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 02-21-2019 at 05:54 AM. Reason: grammar
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Saroy, surely they are not saying any older vehicle will not pass an mot due to not meeting updated emission regs? that's nuts.

I think that it is proposed that several of the major Scottish cities will have high charges per day to enter these zones unless you have the latest euro compliance.
I think it is ok if you only stay out in the countryside, but it affects your freedom of movement.
SAROY likes this.

F4 750 1+1 2000 model

Last edited by MVBERT; 02-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Saroy, are these regulations definitely coming in, or is it a case of waiting to see what happens in case? How long til you are sure? Also the actual size of the charges, ie would a bike have less charges? Hoping you may have more freedom of bike choice than you think?

F4 750 1+1 2000 model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode