MV Agusta Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

helmet cooling after a crash!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  alvin 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The idea and concept with the cooling pack for real life situation sounds great, i heard of this system a while back.

Not all incidents involving crashes show brain swelling, its completely dependant on the impact points and if theres no other injuries to the brain after impact like internal bleeding.

Although it does show promise as an additional protection system for all helmets.

Al

#6 ·
agree; it is completely dependent on the kind of impact. but, since that variable is completely random and potentially life-threatening, it might be worth exploring. i should give them a call.

#7 ·
Its BS... This stems from the something recently discovered having to do with severe head/neck/spine injuries in professional sports (American football mainly). Recently they started giving icy cold IV's around the affected area. This cools the body, slows the swelling which in turn stops any further damage done by swelling in the area.

Having that helmet is the equivilent of putting a cold pack and putting it on your head after an accident, its cold to your scalp but will do little to nothing to stop the swelling of your brain inside your skull.

BTW, I am an EMT trained rescue diver as a second job so I know a little on the subject.

#8 ·
thanks, extremachn1. good to hear from someone trained on a related subject. so, if the scalp is cooled, wouldn't the tissue located immediately-underneath be cooled as well?

#9 ·
Not enough to make a differance. You have to go through the scalp, skull, cerebral fluid, and finally into the brain. It would take HOURS to affect the brain in that case and by then hopefully your in a hospital getting proper treatment or your screwed no matter what helmet you have on. By getting an icy IV it chills the affected area much quicker by putting the fluid directly into your veins which is then carried to the affected area. That combined with cold compress on the outside of the affected area, plus proper anti-inflammitory drugs are what does it.

Really, if you get into an accident and hit your head hard enough you need to see a doctor if they dont take you in an ambulance right away. That gimic helmet wont do anything for you. Your better off going with a high end helmet like a top of the line Shoei or Arai. They are the best for a reason.

#10 ·
You also have to be closely monitored by a doctor at a facility due to the possibility of hypothermia, shock (which your probably already in), frost bite, and cardiac arrest from the extreme cold and sudden drop in body temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.