considering a MV for a track bike - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

considering a MV for a track bike

Hi,
i am considering MV for my next track bike. My old Aprilia RSV is quite old now. I would definitely buy a used bike because of the budget. First i was considering a Ducati or RSV4 but i was surprised how the MV F4 are cheap so it came to my attention.
1. Is it a bad idea to buy a bike with 15000-25000 km and use it as a track bike? i mean if it is so cheap is there some expensive service needed for MV to keep it in a good shape for track?
2. are there any must have mods despite the fairings.
any other hints would be helpfull

regards
theruck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 AM

New Site Garage
Donsy would be the best one to talk to on this. He races them down under.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The MV engine is quite robust and easy to work on. Much easier than a Ducati or even a Honda. The real problem is finding someone who knows how to tune the EFI and getting a reliable parts supplier. Because of the limited production and small sales numbers, many dealers do not give much attention to the MV owner's needs.
Put some good race plastic on it and spend some money on improved EFI tuning (like a MicroTech)..... The chassis is excellent and the suspension and brakes can be made very good indeed.
Welcome to the forum/family, by the way.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM

New Site Garage
I know nuthin.
But.... welcome to the forum mate.
In my opinion, either a EVO3 750 or a 312R 1000 or later, right into the new bikes.
If you're going to race it, at least a 1000, and 20K plus is getting a bit long in the tooth, but for track days only, and it's well looked after, it'll be okay.
Microtec is a must, believe me, and the ability to work on it yourself, and listen to advice from some of the guys on the forum.
Parts are now quite easy to get to.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM

I race a 2010 F4. Is this to be a trackday toy or racer?

WMRRA #58
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

it is to be a trackday toy not real racing so i would not need efi tuning i guess. at least not for the first season. the usual parts should not be a problem as i travel to italy 3-4 times a year and have some contacts there already. aftermarket parts are same for all bikes so that should not be an issue as well.

maybe i will look for some already used as track bike one with all the mods etc. was just curious about the surpsingly low prices for the used bikes in comparison with ducati or aprilia.

is there any special service needed on MV or are there any known issues when used as track bike or are there any parts which tend to break after certain number of km used?
what ecus are used in MV? Magnetti Marelli or something else?

thanks for the info&welcome

Last edited by theruck; 03-06-2014 at 04:04 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Wink

Hi and welcome

IMHO, I would would try to get an honest used 'R' model F4.

Changing the standard slippery foot pegs are a must. Anything over 20k km's, for piece of mind, I would have a hard look at replacing the cam chain tensioner and rear hub. Realistically, it would be a challenge (depending on current experience and pace) to out ride the standard brakes and suspension, properly set up for a fun only track day bike.

Depending on how sensitive to feedback you are, the stock ECU will be ok for starting out. Don't expect Jap throttle control. But honestly, when I fitted the Microtec ECU, the "ride-ability" of the bike improved out of sight.

Don't relate low price of purchase price to anything out of the ordinary with motorcycle ownership. Show me a perfect bike........ from any brand/manufacturer?

Nothing wrong with getting a properly maintained track bike either. Turn key, go

You've found this place, so ownership will already be easier

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode