Prep for track day - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Prep for track day

People,

In early August I am doing Brands Hatch GP with No Limits track days. A pretty decent bunch of guys if I must say.

I am considering taking the MV and would appreciate any tips for the bike for the track. Suggested tyre pressures etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
People,

In early August I am doing Brands Hatch GP with No Limits track days. A pretty decent bunch of guys if I must say.

I am considering taking the MV and would appreciate any tips for the bike for the track. Suggested tyre pressures etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sub
front most tires 26-28 all weather condition
rear most tires 22-24 all weather condition

have fun Sub,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
People,

Cheers

Sub
1. New rubber at the right pressures....general rule for new comers is 30psi front and rear cold. {maybe 28psi rear if its a hot day}
Once you go to warmers etc, you need to measure pressures hot.

2. Good night sleep and lots of water.

3. Remove all shit you don't need, mirrors, licence plate etc.

Enjoy

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 07-27-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Remove or tape mirrors - don't worry about who's behind you (less distracting for you and easier for them to pass if they wish to)

ride at what speed you feel comfortable with rather than at someone else's pace (avoid the red mist)

when feeling tired pull in even if the session isn't finished

each session do one or two warm up laps for both you (get brain into gear) AND the tyres (up to temp)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gents, I have done many track days before on my ZX6R but I want to try the MV.

Usually I use tyre warmers but I'm not going to on the MV due to the clearance between the tyre and the hugger and mudguard and also I dont have a front paddock stand.

There seems to be some differences above between tyre pressures? The tyres are Michelin's which are around 2 years old. Weather will probably be around 80 degrees farenheit

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM

I would adjust the suspension to Track (Pista) settings listed in the Owners Manual.

I have MV Corse CF front fender and rear huger, and I manage to get tyre warmers on. But your right, the front sure is a tight fit. I don't rush or force the front in a hurry. Depends on the warmer brand I suppose.

For tyre pressures, I would use the manufacturer recommended PSI. I think you can find this on line for most manufacturers? If they are not a dual road/track tyre, and no track pressures are recommended, I like Pete's 30 front and 28 rear.

No Limits Track Day sounds fun. In the riders brief for our track days, we get told if we do a wheel stand, we are not in control of our bike, and will be black flagged for the session and receive a warning. I can understand the no front end stopies and burnouts policy, but wheelies and no camera/cam rule F_cking insurance bureaucrats..........

Have fun Sub, and we like pic's
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM

New Site Garage
Sub, it's always a good idea to speak with a distributor of the brand of tires you are running. I start out the morning with 30/30 on cold street tires (Bridgestone 003RS), and then usually drop a pound or two after they heat up. If the difference in temperature from the early morning and the mid-afternoon is considerable, I may adjust again. If you're running slicks check with a dealer of that brand, as 30/30 may be way off.

This test of DOT Race Tires shows suggested tire pressure for cold and hot tires. They recommend 30/30 hot for the 003's, but as you can see there is quite a bit of variance depending upon tire brand and model. So, again, check with a distributor.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/49...-Shootout.aspx

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, I will contact the tyre manufacturer but am probably going to go with the recommended pressures. thanks for all your help and I'll try and get some decent piccies

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks gents, I have done many track days before on my ZX6R but I want to try the MV.

Usually I use tyre warmers but I'm not going to on the MV due to the clearance between the tyre and the hugger and mudguard and also I dont have a front paddock stand.

There seems to be some differences above between tyre pressures? The tyres are Michelin's which are around 2 years old. Weather will probably be around 80 degrees farenheit

2years old! Ffs change them!

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 AM

New Site Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocemoto View Post
2years old! Ffs change them!
I was wondering if I should say something Pete, I would not do a track day on 2 year old tyres, but that might just be me.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode