ODB-2 Bluetooth for late model MV - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

ODB-2 Bluetooth for late model MV

Anyone know of a ODB-2 sensor Bluetooth or wifi Incan connect to late model MVs f4s to gather telemetry while on the track?

Also any experience with iPhone based apps for tracking yourself on the track? I tried the free one from perelli it had be clocked at 427kph at 62.5 degrees of Lean Angle so unless I wasFalling off the side of a mountain I doubt that to be accurate.

Trying to get the best setup for tracking lap times and other such while riding on the track. Advice wanted.

Willing to accept guidance on a whole setup - GPS, phone/monitor, Telemetry.

Thanks

Leigh

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM

I have GPX-pro and it use by GPS working really well, also I am about to take it out and sale it if you are interest let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAgusta View Post
I have GPX-pro and it use by GPS working really well, also I am about to take it out and sale it if you are interest let me know.
those look cool, what would you want for it?

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Track day instrumentation setup

My obd2 thread got no traction as it were - trying again from a different angle

I'd like guidance on doing a full track day instrumentation setup, GPS, data logger, lap timer etc. preferably something that was based on an iPhone wifi or Bluetooth for data capture but open to suggestions

Gotta connect to. My10 and my13 Mv f4s

I really just wanna track laps when I throttle on and off, and the like around tracks

Donsy, Mitch one of you guys gotta have something like this yeah?

Thanks

Leigh

----
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Leigh.
I don't know of any system that can be made to work with the MV dash and/or electronics.
Data logging is a whole different game to just GPS and Lap timing.
I use the QSTARZ Gps and Lap Timer.
If it's your first trackday, I would suggest you don't worry about lap time's and stuff like that, rather concentrate on learning more relevant things ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Hi Leigh.
I don't know of any system that can be made to work with the MV dash and/or electronics.
Data logging is a whole different game to just GPS and Lap timing.
I use the QSTARZ Gps and Lap Timer.
If it's your first trackday, I would suggest you don't worry about lap time's and stuff like that, rather concentrate on learning more relevant things ?

Thanks Dons. I've done quite a few (though not where near as experienced as you), just rode at Circuit of the Americas weekend before last. Awesome.

I'd like to track certain things as I get better at these. Some data would be helpful.

Thanks for the guidance.

----
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM

New Site Garage
Here you go Leigh

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...-Q1000EX-F.htm

Very cheap, very easy to use compared to some of the other system's out there. Can download your lpas via Bluetooth and you can overlay laps and save them to a computer etc.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

That looks great thanks!

----
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Get a Qstarz Bluetooth GPS module and download free RaceChrono software for Your mobile phone here:
http://www.racechrono.com/

Racechrono can allso log live OBD-2 data if You have, for example, an ELM-327 bluetooth OBD-2 reader up and running.

I'd recommend donating something for the RaceChrono developers - they've done a lot for the Joe Average trackday guy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
Hi Leigh, I don't know how I missed your post!

1. Lap timing: This is utilising the F4's on-board lap-timing facility. There is a GPS sensor (@50Hz! the most powerful to date) which you can connect to the F4 harness under the fairing (just 3 cables). This will replace your finger pulling the flasher every time you ride past the start finish line. It has all the larger tracks pre-loaded into its module but you can also set your own start finish point. It is called "LP400 NUOVO LAPTRONIC RICEVITORE GPS 50HZ" and I bought it on eBay. I was at Brands Hatch yesterday and every time I went past the start/finish line, I could see the blue high beam light come on momentarily on the dash.
2. Using an external lap timer with GPS data: I use Harry's Lap timer on my iPhone. This is accurate by about .2sec / lap. I have connected that to my GoPro using the GoPro's WiFi so that when Harry's Lap timer senses that the bike is passing the start finish line for the first time, it triggers the GoPro to start recording. It needs to be connected to an external GPS receiver (preferably 20Hz) in order to obtain a good GPS position through a Bluetooth connection. Harry's Lap timer includes Bluetooth connectivity to a OBD II sensor but I have not yet managed to obtain engine readings in order to have a complete data log from track days.
This is where I can do with some help: I know that the F4 has both CAN bus and a K Line. the K line is situated under the seat and it is connected to a 3 Pins AMP superseal female connector (there is only the one cable connected to it so you can't get this wrong). CAN High is situated near by in a 4way HM female connector, the Orange and black cable is the CAN Low and the Yellow and Blue cable is the CAN High. I thought that if we connect these cables correctly to a OBD II pinout (the female part which normally is situated in modern cars under the dash) then I could connect a bluethooth dongle to the OBDII pinout and would then extract engine readings back to Harry's Lap timer application. Looking at the OBDII pinout, one needs to connect the CAN High line to terminal 6, the K line to terminal 7, the CAN Low to terminal 14, terminals 5 & 6 together to the negative pole (or ground) and terminal 16 to the battery's positive pole. I tried the above and even though the Dongle lit up and connected to the phone using blue tooth, I could see no revs showing on the iPhone. It could be that I need to revisit my connections. I will let you know if it will finally work. If it works, then this will be a great and inexpensive solution for the amateur track day enthusiast.
I hope this helps, and if anyone has a better understanding of how to connect a OBD II dongle to the F4 I would be glad to hear it!
You can see a lap of me at SPA earlier this year using Harry's Lap timer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXChYhaoic
Regards,
Chris

PS I need to add here that even though for cars an OBD II pinout is a legal requirement in USA for all cars manufactured and sold in or after 1996, and in Europre in or after 2001, no such requirement exists for motorcycles. So there is no industry equivalent of OBD II for motorcycles and that is why a bespoke solution is needed for different motorycles.

Last edited by christosc; 11-07-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Additional OBD II info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in