F3 on Track, First impressions. Broadford Raceway April 2013 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

F3 on Track, First impressions. Broadford Raceway April 2013

Having the opportunity to ride the F3 on track today for the first time. After running it in in Queensland and a few mountain rides here in Victoria, I was keen to ride it on track

Track: Broadford Raceway
Temp: 22C Dry
F3: Totally Stock except for Supercorsas on Warmers. Mapping Setting 1.

I had my own 1098R there as well and had ridden that a few sessions first, so it was quite a culture shock to hop on the F3.
First off, it feels light and is light, and turns in like no tomorrow. It also holds a beautiful line....Power is OK, theres no saving yourself if you're in the wrong gear. Brakes are really good, and i think the lightness of the bike helps them function the way they do....handling and brakes will never be the issue on and F3 !

The top end rush if pretty impressive too for a 675 and the sound is wicked, but keeping it there and keeping it smooth was difficult for me.
For such a competent bike, the fuelling and throttle set up is a massive let down. It was just plain awful and made the whole session a jittery, nervy mess:-( Part of it may have been me and getting use to the touchy throttle, but it was impossible to hold a constant throttle on any mid corner with any confidence. Even at the apex, kneedown, partially held throttle, the thing had a mind of its own, revs pulsing when it felt like it. So weird.

The bike was changed from S map which I used to run the bike in, to setting N...but for me this has made it worse....I didn't have time to change the settings back again.
Coming from the the throttle/fuelling connection of a 1098R that is just so sublime, really highlighted the achilles heel of most MV's...and this one in particular.Don't get me wrong, otherwise the F3 is great in every respect....but this was so frustrating !!! Being honest though, I think my riding style would have to change as well on the F3 as i didnt ride it that well....I was, in spots trying to ride in on the torque like I do on the Ducati, which is a faster and smoother approach when the torque is massive...not so on the F3, too often I let the revs drop beyond where they should for a 675cc.

On the flipside, I found myself hitting the throttle stop often, and wanting more power to get off the corner.... so, I tried down a gear down on the same corner and the bike would not roll smoothy at all on partially closed throttle, be spasmodic mid corner....bloody hard to extract what it had I can tell you. Calling the F3 underwhelming after riding the 1098R is a little unfair I guess, but it felt like that . Next time I need to extract what its got a little better, but only after the mapping is sorted. I need to re adjust once the bike is sorted....I need a whole day on it.
It would take a good remapping, smoothing out, and me getting my head around how to ride it properly before I could truly enjoy it, but the potential is there, and well documented by other track-riders who have sorted F3,s
I thought I'd be close in lap-times to the 1098R on such a small tight track, but no where near it....1098R was 1.06 {best ever}.....the F3 was out around 1.10 as I just couldn't carry any mid-corner speed with confidence, or get off the corners fast.

All up, a fantastic,beautiful bike spoiled by the throttle and fuelling....I want to try it again in setting Sport that I used on the road, and see if that saves it. I never had these feelings on the road.
Few pics from the day....no doubt it was the most looked at and prettiest bike there !!!! Few on tracks shots will be arriving soon as well...

Edit: revised the mapping settings to what that actually were...there is no magic map 5 on this bike !!!!!
Attached Images

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 04-27-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 AM

I'm a bit confused about what settings you were using. There are only 4 map options, not 5. N = normal, S = sport, R = rain, C = custom. I have not experienced any surging or hunting type behaviour on track using either normal or sport maps. I have always run it with traction control off as well, maybe TC is part of the problem?

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGOSTINI View Post
I'm a bit confused about what settings you were using. There are only 4 map options, not 5. N = normal, S = sport, R = rain, C = custom. I have not experienced any surging or hunting type behaviour on track using either normal or sport maps. I have always run it with traction control off as well, maybe TC is part of the problem?
You are lucky then....maybe its just me.

Don't know...when you scroll through the maps, "5" comes up.
That's the 'map' the bike was delivered with...it seemed to run OK on the road with that map.

Maybe it was an "S" not a "5".....I'll need to check with my father in law and check it as I didn't set it or pay too much attention to the dash.Not sure on the TC, I'd run it off too.

Update:

My brother in law remembers at Phillip Island, Flicking through the maps and seeing 5 options, yet the manual was only stating 4....he swears the bike was on setting 5 and looked
through the book to find what 5 was, yet the book only showing the normal 4.........how confusing !!!

I'll chase it up on the bike myself and see if i get to the bottom of the confusion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 04-27-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 AM

theres 4 map settings. S=sport. N=normal. R=rain. C=custom.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
theres 4 map settings. S=sport. N=normal. R=rain. C=custom.
Yep...I got to the bottom of the confusion in our family !!!
My father in law who's not into all the latest electronic wizardry...{Bless him} sent me this text...

"Pete, I just checked, just to confirm, it has these settings "N 5 R C"....god I laughed so hard LOL !!!! Since he's had it, he's told me it's been set on 5 - Custom...LOL

So....I ran the bike in on the S setting then, but Cliff has changed it to N setting at Phillip Island last time to get rid of the abrupt throttle. I rode it yesterday in N setting, so hopefully the S setting on track helps.

Cliff prefers the less abrupt throttle on N, but I couldn't get my head around the throttle feel and fuelling....but intially i had no issue with the S setting on the road ....

So there you go, we're all different, and I must be weird
I need to try this little rocket again...

Last edited by Velocemoto; 04-27-2013 at 03:34 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Do you happen to remember what the TC was set at? The circle in the upper right corner is the TC indicator. I am thinking that the TC is what was causing the surging. I have found that with newer maps the throttle is a lot better but the TC still needs some work. The map set to S with the TC set to 1 or 2 seems to be the sweet spot for me. With those settings throttle response is near perfect for me.

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporMV View Post
Do you happen to remember what the TC was set at? The circle in the upper right corner is the TC indicator. I am thinking that the TC is what was causing the surging. I have found that with newer maps the throttle is a lot better but the TC still needs some work. The map set to S with the TC set to 1 or 2 seems to be the sweet spot for me. With those settings throttle response is near perfect for me.
Thanks Vapour...I'll get onto that .
I'm not sure what the TC was set up at....I've never looked as it's not my bike. Surging is a good way of putting it....thats what the bike was doing mid corner.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 04-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Edit: Bike TC was set to 0......so no TC
I'll ask if I can ride it again to your settings and see how we go :-)

From when I rode it in the mountains, to what i felt on the track, was totally different....hopefully returning to S map and TC setting will cure the fact I didnt get on with it on track.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM

I ride with TC on 4, never hit it, don't experience the issues you're having so I highly doubt TC has anything to do with it. I have never ridden mine on anything other than 'S'. Had the map updated no more than 6 weeks ago (which has made it far too civilised, the top end has lost it's frantic-ness, most likely from smoothing the curve out, reducing it's wheely prone nature).

I get mine around Broady typically in the 5's but dipped into the 4's while racing, and I have no problem with the throttle at all. In fact it'll go faster in better hands all stock than I can punt it with my distinct lack of talent.

If opportunity arises I'll happily put mine back to back with it on track to give you a second opinion...though mine is getting the exhaust and custom map in the next couple of weeks, so the comparision is probably lost.

I'm disappointed your experience isn't the same as mine.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF3_40 View Post
I ride with TC on 4, never hit it, don't experience the issues you're having so I highly doubt TC has anything to do with it. I have never ridden mine on anything other than 'S'. Had the map updated no more than 6 weeks ago (which has made it far too civilised, the top end has lost it's frantic-ness, most likely from smoothing the curve out, reducing it's wheely prone nature).

I get mine around Broady typically in the 5's but dipped into the 4's while racing, and I have no problem with the throttle at all. In fact it'll go faster in better hands all stock than I can punt it with my distinct lack of talent.

If opportunity arises I'll happily put mine back to back with it on track to give you a second opinion...though mine is getting the exhaust and custom map in the next couple of weeks, so the comparision is probably lost.

I'm disappointed your experience isn't the same as mine.
Thanks for the offer, awesome...ive seen your pics:-)
...I was a bit shocked to be honest, as I was the one who ran it in on the road and I loved it....I thought it was brilliant as my previous reports suggest

I think it might be a two-fold problem....one was jumping straight from the 1098R on the F3 and expecting to lap in the 06's immediately without giving myself time to retune to riding it how it needed to be, and secondly the mapping had been dropped from map S to N. My expectations were so high after the immence experience on the road with it, maybe I just got over erratic and excited ?

I'm hoping to get another go, and don't rush getting use to the bike, and see if the fueling issue is really the bike, or me....thinking back, I was kinda erratic and in a rush to go quick from lap 2, so maybe putting the bike back to "S" that im use to, and concentate on being smooth rather than fast might change the whole outcome:-) We'll see

Last edited by Velocemoto; 04-29-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode