Auto Club Infield Track??? June 7th & 8th - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Auto Club Infield Track??? June 7th & 8th

Anyone want to join me? Anyone ridden the infield track? I have only ridden the AMA layout at Fontana, so I thought I'd give this one a go.

Plus, it is in the middle of the week, which is a cool reason to miss work.

I'm there, anyone else interested?

http://www.fastrackriders.com/events.html

Griff
twoeleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Fine then, I'm going without any of you apparently. I'm going on Tuesday the 7th, and I will offer my assessment of the 'infield' track at Auto Club.

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Sound like fun, sorry dude Tuesday track not for me, I have to work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Mid-week track days are the best. I'm just taking a 'sanity day' instead of staying home with a cold like everyone else does. I can work through a cold, I can't work through a track day, THIS is my new "SICK DAY".

Today I signed up for Level 3 on Tuesday, cashing in a Fastrack Riders Gift Certificate from Mrs. Twoeleven...

Griff
twoeleven
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM

Save a spot in the paddock for me, Larry....I'll be joining you on Tuesday the 7th!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
YES! It is going to be a good one, I feel, glad to have the company.

I spent the morning getting track prepped, I'd been playing in the canyons and it was in street trim...New oil/filter, ripped off the mirrors and license plate, unplugged the lights, safety wired a few things, and taped her up. I'm ready, and this l'il 750 is quick.

See you there,

Griff
twoeleven
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Established Member

Looks a lot like the infield course we've run in the cars, at first I couldn't remember if we ran it CW or CCW but after looking at the map it makes sense that we ran it CW also. All other configurations are usually CCW at this track.

Have fun and be safe out there! Might stop by and watch for a bit if I can.

07 White/Black F4 1000R -- SOLD
04 Matte Black Brutale S -- SOLD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
G.Rand and I ran into Seanomatic here with his Brutale. The course is tight and twisty, and we are having fun despite the fact that there are corners everywhere that are all new to us. G.Rand is quickest so far with a 1:17, and I am at a 1:20, haven't seen Sean's times yet but we are all having a great time. Perfect weather! I did scrape the inner curbing once and chunked the lower front side of the chin fairings on the Gixxer. I heard it and felt it, but I rode through it, just a bit of damage, ooops.

Back out soon. Just had some new rubber put on.

Griff
twoeleven
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I had a great day at the track, big thanks to G.Rand and Seanomatic for adding to the caper. G.Regg is very quick, he's been racing a bunch and winning but he's too modest to brag so I will do it for him, nice job!!!

I never got faster than my 1:20 on my old tires, and I got back down to a 1:20 after the new rubber bedded in and things were feeling really good. But the afternoon was wearing on and I was getting too tired, so I didn't push it. Instead, I took home a bike with a really nice new set of scrubbed in tires for next time...With a chunk missing from the lower L side chin, I thought it was curbing as reported above, but what I actually caught on the curbing was my L side spool. The fairing found a cone in a chicane, as I learned later watching my video playback.

As for the GoPro, what a great tool. After watching my own laps, I am sure I could go back there today and shave a few seconds...I really need to wait to turn in, even later than I thought I was when I was riding. As I watched the playback I was downright embarrassed at some of my corners...I will post a link to show what a 1:20 looks like (ugly!), and you will easily find 4 seconds in some of my sloppy corners. Wow. Humbling.

I guess that is the point. It was an almost completely new track to me, sharing only a few short sections with what I usually ride at the AMA layout, so it was a huge learning experience all of the way around.

Bottom line is, I had a great day, but I think I will be better equipped to go faster next round. Photo essay below:

The Gates await my arrival

78 degrees, light cool breeze...

Tech...

G.Regg's go-fast secret drink...

I went with the solar tire-warmers, I guess...

These stale donuts got swapped out at noon...

GoPro went on on the afternoon right about the time I put new tires on...

I didn't slow for the cone zone...Cone damage...

CaliPhoto...

CaliPhoto...

Griff
twoeleven
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Great post, Larry, and a really fun day! After you left I hung out a bit with Kevin Duke, the journalist from the motorcycle.com online site. Really nice guy -- he was riding one of the new Triumph 675R's all day and couldn't say enough great things about it. I wish you didn't have to work the next day -- you could've had another great day at the track with me .... stupid job.
I got a chance to work with Dale Keifer on Wednesday, and after a few good secrets were traded he helped me slip my laptimes into the 1:14's:

http://www.fastrackriders.com/NewTimes/110608/100.html

The weather was a bit cooler on Wednesday, which I prefer. Another good day.

Let's do it again, eh?

Last edited by G.Rand; 06-12-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode