First track bike... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

First track bike...

Hey guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Although I don't own an MV (yet!), I was wondering if any of the track enthusiasts could lend their 2 cents.

I'd like to get on track in 2010 on a regular basis. I'm coming from a Ducati Monster and a 748S/853. I've taken Code's 2-day camp (level I & II) at Barber, which I really enjoyed. I wasn't particularly fast (2:05), but felt comfortable at that pace.

I'm bike-less at the moment and was wondering what you would recommend. Ideally, something forgiving to develop skills on and less than $8k before springing for an MV.

Bikes on my mind:
Ducati 749S
Triumph 675
SV 650

I read with interest in Bike Magazine(?) the KTM singles (RC4) at 450cc and 250cc wrapped in a 250 GP chassis. How I wish there was something more production based in that genre. The track I'd likely be most on would be Jennings GP in FL.

Other miscellaneous crap about me:
Experience: 6 years
Height: 6'0"
Wt.: 185

Thanks for your help!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 PM

John,

Unless you have a sponsor, I'd recommend a Japanese 600cc I-L 4. I currently have an R6 track bike and am in the process of picking up a ZX6R track bike. 600cc bikes make great track bikes, and the Japanese bikes are cheap to buy, maintain, repair, upgrade, and replace. And they're reliable. They don't break. All of this is important.

If money were no object, I'd track my F4 and/or my 1098s, but I can't bear the thought of crashing them, so I stick to something I'm not emotionally attached to.

A 749 is a great bike, but it's a Duc, which means, not reliable, expensive to buy, maintain, and repair. The 675 will be a bit more reliable than the Duc, but also an expensive bike to buy, maintain, and repair, (at least in comparason to a Japanese 600). I don't know much about the SV; I see them at the track and they sound cool, people say good things about them, but I'm guessing a 650 twin is gonna be a bit underpowered.

Did you lke the ZX6R you rode at CSS?

Elton
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post

Bikes on my mind:

SV 650
Great bike to learn on....lot's of them on the market, many race track prepped and ready....cheap...don't eat tires (big part of your track day costs). Lot's of eBay parts for repairs.

Plenty fast.

After you get your track "legs" you could look for a MV 750 to step up to (if you need to) or a 1000 (if you really need to).

I was a "Fast boy" in the late 70's (AMA Amateur #1 in 1980), and I find my SV650 to be a blast in my "old age".

OK..that's my 2 cents.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks fellas.

I did enjoy the Kawasaki. This is the one 600 I've been drawn to. I liked the midrange. i do enjoy Duc twins, but the maintenance costs (even if things go well), are on my mind. I'm not sure I want to pay to play, as they say. If this was my only hobby, then I'd suck it up. I'm not familiar yet w/ the 675s maintenance costs.

Thanks again for the friendly food for thought.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Established Member

I've not got a track bike yet (because i'm moving around so much at the moment) but weighed up a number of options.

The reason i'm adding to this is that I've got a 675 and looked at the numbers. In short while it would be a great track toy it's simply not worth it.

With a track bike you want something really common. This means you have the most amount of parts and support available (quick shifters/accessories/tuning tools/track fairings/bike specific how to's etc)

Also in this game squids are your friends. The more bikes they trash the more spare parts you can get. So if you have an R6 or a GSXR then you're on a winner, if you're lucky you could find yourself with a spare engine fairly cheaply.

Trouble with Triumphs/Duc's/Mv's etc is the cost of running and parts. While you can do a lot about the labour there's not much you can do about the cost of hardware. With them being exotic there's much less of a parts market so you pay through the nose for parts and accessories.

My advice is pick yourself up a good Suzuki/Kawi/Yamaha 600. Use the money you save not tracking an exotic on great leathers and gear (because that's the important stuff), good tools and a decent bike trailer. Then have fun in the knowledge that if you stack it - you stack it. You're ok because of the leathers, you have a trailer to get it home and the tools to work on it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 AM

I totally support Influx and Andy. I have an 07 GSXR600 for the track. I have ridden it for 3 years now and have done over 5,000 track miles on it. I had a minor get off in September 09 and I bent one of the spokes on the rear rim. I got another one for $150.00. I don't think you will get a rear wheel for the Triumph/Ducati/MV for $150.00. It is has also been dead reliable. I put gas in it and replace tires and brake pads. I chose a Suzuki but any of the Japanese 600s are great bikes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Great bike to learn on....lot's of them on the market, many race track prepped and ready....cheap...don't eat tires (big part of your track day costs). Lot's of eBay parts for repairs.

Plenty fast.

After you get your track "legs" you could look for a MV 750 to step up to (if you need to) or a 1000 (if you really need to).

I was a "Fast boy" in the late 70's (AMA Amateur #1 in 1980), and I find my SV650 to be a blast in my "old age".

OK..that's my 2 cents.
Hey esq'z me - Thats a hell of an accomplishment, the # 1 AMA amateur plate. What track were the finals at back then and what were you riding ? I won Formula 1 and Formula 2 Expert Championships in CMRA back in 1992 so I know what it takes.
Just wanted to give you a comp on that !!

Steve

2008 MV Agusta F4 312R
2018 KTM 300XC
2010 KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha TZ 250
2019 KTM 350 SXF
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
1974 Suzuki T500 Titan
1974 Honda CB 550-4
1970 Suzuki TS50 Maverick
2010 Harley Davidson XR 750 flat tracker
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
A 749 is a great bike, but it's a Duc, which means, not reliable...
Have to disagree with the "not reliable". I bought my 749S new, put 1000 street miles on it before making it a track bike, and it has been nothing but reliable. Unfortunately, Ducati still suffer from a reputation garnered in the 80's that their bikes are unreliable.

I really enjoy a 749S as a track bike - it or a 675 would be a great choice for $8k. Ride on the track what you like, and you're bound to enjoy your track days more.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1000S/749S View Post
Ducati still suffer from a reputation garnered in the 80's that their bikes are unreliable.
Kevin,

Don't get me wrong; as you can see from my signature I'm a huge Ducati fan. I've got 4 of them in my garage. But let's be serious; it's not a question of reputation. It's a fact. The initial outlay for a Ducati is much more than for a Japanese sportbike. And then, once you have the bike, Ducatis are much more expensive to service, repair, and maintain than Japanese sportbikes. Debating that is silly.

It doesn't mean Ducatis aren't great motorcycles; on the contrary, I find them far superior to anything mass-produced in Japan. It does mean, though, that unless you're made of money or have a sponsor, Ducatis don't make good track bikes. Track bikes require lots of maintenance. Tires, oil changes, chains, sprockets, engine rebuilds, suspension upgrades, body work replacements, etc... All of this stuff cost much more with a Ducati than with a YamaKawaHondaSuzuki.

I'm not saying Ducatis aren't reliable; I'm just saying it costs a whole lot more to run a Ducati than a Kawasaki on the track.

Elton

Last edited by mrinflux; 12-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
Don't get me wrong; as you can see from my signature I'm a huge Ducati fan. I've got 4 of them in my garage. It's not a question of reputation. It's a fact. Ducatis are much more expensive to service, repair, and maintain than Japanese sportbikes. Debating that is silly.
No debating Ducs are more expensive to keep up! I was only debating that they are "not reliable". A Japanese sportbike would easily be less expensive to campaign as a track bike. BTW Elton, nice collection!

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode