The official Track Day Picture thread - Page 208 - MVAgusta.net
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2071 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:21 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richd748 View Post
Not my MV , but finally got my provisional novice racing license and just happened to get a short notice offer to ride on an endurance team this past weekend. Did 6 hour endurance, I am hooked, cannot wait to race the MV this year. Don't mind the wrinkled number, clutch went out on our first bike, threw the number on a backup.
Congrats and well done Rich, great to see you're still having fun man .

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:06 PM

New Site Garage
Collie Trackday

Went up on Friday to meet a few fellow MV riders and help a young mate find his way on his F4 312RR. He payed and booked for me to ride with him on Saturday.
I wen't out on my bike with the new Mupo fork Cartridges installed, as well as the new thumb brake as discussed here - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/31-tra...tricks-79.html

I immediately felt good on the bike and by the 3rd session the times where really good, bike power is still terribly peaking above 10 000rpm and it will wheelie even in 4th gear, this is where the thumb brake works so well. I got used to it very quickly and it's like a second reaction to reach for it as the revs go up.

Then disaster struck - All of Friday Aden asked me to take his bike for a ride to "test" it for him, I declined because it's really a very uncomfortable feeling for me to ride someone else's bike on the track (Andrew will remember this), but by Saturday I knew I was going to have to ride the bike.
Aden and I have known each other for years, he doesn't do much social media stuff so at one stage I helped him sell his second 1078 here on the forum, and he buys all his part exclusively from forum sponsors.

Anyway, there was 5 (no kidding) F4's at the track on Friday, including Steve @AusMV312. One of them (a white F4) was not there on Saturday but was replaced by Charlie @CHD on his Dragster. I think it's the most MV's I've ever seen together at a trackday here in our forgotten part of Australia.
Everybody seemed to be doing well on Friday and I walked the track with a few guys to sort of point some of them in the right direction. By Saturday the boys where going well, Aden started complaining about his bike moving around a lot, I looked at his rear suspension as I could see a LOT of sag going on in there and imagined that the movement he felt was probably suspension "pogo sticking". The front didn't seem to bad but sag was also way over spec, so I upped his preload a bit both end and told him to have another go, didn't want to touch damping at all at this stage.

In the meantime Steve got moved up a class for acting like a "hoon" lapping people in his group, and probably while being on the back wheel.
Richard on the the F4RR (2017 I think), was taking it very easy but steadily going faster, and coming in with a huge smile after every section, much better than Friday, and I like that.

I have no idea why some of us Aussie F4 riders are so bloody huge, both Steve and Aden are taller than be, Steve is build like a brick shithouse and Aden's legs will wrap right around his bike if he tried, it was great hanging out with them, also got to meet Steve's buddy Grant (CBR 400 with 900 motor in it), a very fast and always smiling super quick fella.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #2073 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 PM

New Site Garage
Unhappy End to a great day

Haven't got much to add to this - Took Aden's bike out after lunch and noticed almost right away that the front was real bouncy, diving and coming back up very quickly when using the brakes but also when changing direction in the S'es.
I decided to smooth myself out a bit and do another lap to make sure it's not just me being unfamiliar with the heavier bike, the tyres where warm from the tyre warmers and one lap is more than enough the bring the left side up to speed since most of the corners are left handers at Collie.

I came out of the last turn onto the main straight thinking (this is shit, I need to finish this lap and go back in), wound the gas on and was quite impressed by the very linear power delivery compared to my bike's peaky power. I hit my usual brake marker comfortable, leaned over still dragging the brakes but only very slightly, let go of the brake and slowly wound open the gas as per usual practice and all turned to shit in a heartbeat.
I felt the nose dip and come back up (my knee was solidly on the ground so I was low), dipped and again and as it came back up the front folded.
I went down still holding on and remember my head hitting the road as the bars dug in and the rear started swinging around, then I let go of the bars and pulled my legs out from under the bike. We slid along nicely until the bike hit the curb, it then stood up on it's tail and flipped end over end (nose to tail).
Liesl missed those pics as the camera is set to take only 6 pics per push, and I think she was already swearing loudly at that stage, and only started taking pics again after seeing me standing on the tyre wall.
I asked Liesl later if she got pics and she said no she didn't, then got home and found the pictures on the camera, she's a natural disaster photographer.

It's the worst thing you could ever wish onto someone else, destroying a mate's bike, I feel awful and will do whatever I can to help Aden rebuild it for track use since he never rides on the road in any case.
The difference between Aden's bike and my own was just far to great for my speed on the day, after already having had a great time on my bike, I probably pushed harder than I should have, but hindsight is just that.

Aden is a true young gentleman and just said "Don't worry about it Dons, are you ok?", and is considering parting the bike out instead of rebuilding.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
As I mentioned on FB,sorry to see this and good to see you are OK.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchy For This Useful Post:
post #2075 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:02 AM

New Site Garage
Awww man that sucks, you must feel awful even though Your mate is alright about it and hats off to him too for being that way about it all. Sorry to make light of the situation but this is the first thing I thought when I saw this pic......

Name:  IMG_5777.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  1.82 MB

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ackers For This Useful Post:
post #2076 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Damn Dons!

A buddy of mine, actually my MV mechanic, trashed his boss's 1078RR at a track day several years ago.

Glad to know you are ok.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
The Following User Says Thank You to silentservice703 For This Useful Post:
post #2077 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 AM
CHD

New Site Garage
It was a great day Dons until your unfortunate incident. Glad youre ok....there was a grey F3 800 there on Saturday too! so that makes 6 MV's on the Saturday....I was starting to feel common...
The Following User Says Thank You to CHD For This Useful Post:
post #2078 of 2147 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 AM

New Site Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD View Post
It was a great day Dons until your unfortunate incident. Glad youre ok....there was a grey F3 800 there on Saturday too! so that makes 6 MV's on the Saturday....I was starting to feel common...
Always great to see you Charlie. I did see the grey F3 as we loaded my bike, I forgot about that. Do you know the guy ?
Hope you get your next dream sooner rather than later, you are a true MV nut

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #2079 of 2147 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM
CHD

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Always great to see you Charlie. I did see the grey F3 as we loaded my bike, I forgot about that. Do you know the guy ?
Hope you get your next dream sooner rather than later, you are a true MV nut
No Dons, don't know the guy but he can ride! he overtook me on the track might have to upgrade to an F4
Donsy and Donsy like this.
post #2080 of 2147 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
What a great two days we had. I am absolutely hooked on riding these bikes the way they were designed to be ridden. I am a convert to 'trackdays only' for my MV, as the open road (as of late) has made me a little anxious with wildlife, road conditions, speed cameras and traffic.
I'll be missing the May track days but will be there for June 24 for sure and maybe June 10.
Hope to see everyone there again.
Soo sad to see you come off Donsy. So good that nobody was hurt. Aden is such a nice bloke and I'm sure he'll be back on the track in no time with a bike he's going to know inside out and set up just nice
It was great to catch up. I'll have to get Leisl to take a photo of the good side next time eh!
Steve

Current 2008 F4 312R
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
'82 Suzuki GSX 1100 SZ Katana
? Suzuki GS 850 G Shaft Drive
? Honda XL 500
'82 Suzuki GSX 750 SZ Katana
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
In my Youth Suzuki RM 80 C
Yamaha YZ 80 C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode