On track, F3 speeds vs. liters? - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Ducati23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
On track, F3 speeds vs. liters?

So within probably 2 years (really planning pretty far out here), I'm hoping to move up to some larger tracks, specifically COTA. My main concern here is that on the long straight at this track, if I'm in a session with liter bikes I may be unable to keep up or at least what I'm seeing currently in how quick the bigger bikes can get moving.

I sort of chalk this up to experience needed in keeping corner speeds up, especially getting on the throttle earlier when in the turn. In a sense learning what riders on 250s have to do.

Anyway my question here for more experienced guys, can your track modded F3 keep up with the liters on the straights when they open up? Any tips you could share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Are you racing, or are you doing Track Days?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Just track days for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Then don't worry about what the liter bikes are doing...just improve your skill incrementally each lap. Carry as much corner speed as you comfortably can and the next thing you know, the liter bikes will be slowing you down.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Established Member

If your just doing track days then it won't matter. They'll run 250's alongside 1000's if they're in the same skill level class (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). Keep a consistent line out of the corners into the straights and faster guys will find a safe way around you. Don't worry about what's happening behind you, run your rhythm and focus on your technique.

"Speed hasn't killed anyone, suddenly stopping is the issue."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM

New Site Garage
The F3 does okay against the big bikes. But don't think for a minute that it will accelerate like a new R1 or Panigale, doesn't happen. The F3's I've seen and ridden with on track run out of steam in the 160's but get there quickly. Don't worry it isn't anything to lose sleep over. The GPS on my F3 says it gets to 168-169 on top when I get a draft. Usually makes 163-164 without draft help.

Haven't ever seen 170 on any track with the F3, but I'm an old fat bastard so a smaller rider would likely get a bit higher numbers. The speedometer say the bike goes much faster but it's some way off at those speeds compared to very accurate GPS actual speeds.

Still you can always tell your mates it goes 170/180 something if you chose to, but the reality is it probably doesn't. At least mine doesn't it is a very fast F3. Cheers!
Strider78rr and Strider78rr like this.

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
Staff Instructor SBTT South
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Depends on what is more important to you, riding whatever you have to the best you can or keeping up with/having the same bragging rights your mates on bigger bikes? If it's the latter an F3 will always lose out on the straights. Combine that with the advanced TC and stability control of the new bikes and you'll be behind. Ride better and with more skill and you'll keep up to a point.

On a wet trackday this year my friend on his Race Minitwin SV650 consistently out classed 95% of the field round a wet Brands Hatch. Including some very advanced litre bikes. Even when it dried out the only go him on the straights, just to be out braked and out cornered by him.

Granted same skill level and they would have been away, but it goes to show that just because you have a bigger bike and more cash, doesn't necessarily make you faster. That said you may have the skills to warrant a bigger bike.

But in the pits their bikes definitely looked better and "R1/S1000" sounds better than SV650 when telling people what bike you have.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks everyone. At this point, no, I don't consider myself to have the skills to warrant a necessity of purchasing a larger bike right now. I was mainly curious that if in the future my skills increased enough, could I conceivably push the F3 harder to the point that it might possibly keep up with liters on the straights, so that answered my question.

I do agree though that based on my riding, mine gets up to 140-150 quickly, but then pushing beyond that it takes a little extra time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Thanks everyone. At this point, no, I don't consider myself to have the skills to warrant a necessity of purchasing a larger bike right now. I was mainly curious that if in the future my skills increased enough, could I conceivably push the F3 harder to the point that it might possibly keep up with liters on the straights, so that answered my question.

I do agree though that based on my riding, mine gets up to 140-150 quickly, but then pushing beyond that it takes a little extra time.
Previously I would say learn to get round the corners faster, but with the computer controlled weapons available that make slow riders fast and average rider, very fast, you will struggle to keep up.

A mate who purchased an S1000RR after 3 months of riding and 3 track days admits to just tipping in and banging the throttle open and letting the bike sort it out. No hanging off, no knee down. Right onto the edge of the tyre.

Can I catch him on a GSX-R 600, just about, pass no way and come the straight he's off. That said he got told by the instructor at Almeria that if he carried on doing that he would have a big off.

But as I said before, depends on why you are riding? To be the fastest or to be the fastest you can be?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Console yourself with the thought that the litre bikes may be faster but you're having more fun.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode