BEARS Rd 2 Race Report - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

BEARS Rd 2 Race Report

Gday all. Well we had rd 2 of the national BEARS championship a couple of weeks ago, thought I'd share my race report with you all again..
Another fantastic weekend has been and gone. I was finally back at my home track, Morgan Park raceway in Warwick Queensland for the first time in over a year. The last time was on my 125gp bike and this year was with the MV Agusta. Very different experience. At least I had knowledge of which way the track went, where all the bumps are etc. However the big bike reacts totally different so my lines had to be altered.
Started off with a very interesting day on Friday with me being on both sides of the paddock. Being a track day they have road rider groups. My amazing girlfriend and master pit crew Chris Knight, had her first ever track day. So going between riding, trying to set my bike up and watching her made for a very busy and strangely nervous atmosphere. Was great fun watching Chris Taking to the track and getting more confident each time out. Listening to advice and then trying to practice what had been mentioned. Seeing the buzz she got from her first taste of track riding made the day better.
My Friday was more about trying to retrain myself from the 125 to the big bike.. And try to start setting it up for the track. All the new modifications since rd1 held up perfectly which gave me a lot more confidence. Had to start experimenting with suspension settings to try and cure itís ridability over bumps. And by the end of the weekend I had managed to get it to decently trustable setting.
Qualified in 4th. Started from row 2 first race. Had a good start up to 3rd I think but back down to 4th a lap later as he came screaming by me on the front straight at the end of the lap. Was having a fun battle with 2nd and 3rd for next couple of laps, went to go inside 3rd at turn 3 he decided to go inside 2nd at the same time, so i altered line and went outside, however this gave me to wide an entry and my bike slid the whole way around, and as I was still trying to get around the outside, I got placed onto the ripple strip which is not a nice place to be in that corner, in a slide with front wheel just off the ground and I lost a lot of drive trying to get the head shake under control. Lost a bit of ground and we are all better at different sections of track, so Iíd catch up drop off. After a few slides trying to get on power early, I relented and decided to settle for the place.
Race 2 again starting from p4 as itís a progressive grid in BEARS. Another good start but they all swallowed me into turn 1. I missed 2nd gear going into turn 4 and lost some ground,Then in turn 5 trying to make ground up I was leant right over and I scrape my pegs most corners, but this time it grabbed my foot and ripped it off the peg then slamming my toe into the ground, Sat the bike up for turn 6 still trying to get foot back on and change down gears, I struggled and ran wide and they pulled away. I kept them close and started to gain here and there. then we started on the back markers and I was held up for 3 different corners by some of them. So again I decided to settle for 4th with 1 lap to go.
Sunday came and we lined up for race 3. Marshall off the track, slot it into 1st, red lights on, red light out, drop the clutch, nothing. It dropped out of gear, SHIT!, Should put my hand up, but need first so start trying to get gear and hope like crazy I donít get hit from behind. The field all goes past, finally its in and off I go. Go around outside of 1 in turn 1 inside next before turn 2 around outside of next for turn 3 and slowly picked them off. Either lap 2 or 3 I came into turn 1 preparing to go inside a guy, he happened to be behind another rider and decided to go under him, so by now Iím inside half of track very narrow entry, I decided bugger it Iím going anyway, fly in, rear brake at corner to try and pull it down hard, and pull away into turn 2. With just over a lap to go I was in 3rd and chasing the leaders down, but there was no way of making that ground up so I decided to take the position as there was a big gap to p3
Last race start from front row P3 and it was a blinder, absolutely nailed it, P1 turn 1 and held it for a couple of laps. In the tight corners where I have to go down a few gears fast, turn 4 and 6 mainly, I struggled to find the gear, it just wouldnít go into 2nd, or maybe I was going past it, but for whatever reason I ran wide a lot of laps trying to sort the gears. LAp 3 he comes inside me on turn 4, I could hear both of our pegs scraping a bit louder than normal, I found out after the race it was the next guy trying to get me as well had lost the front right behind me, (phew thanks for not taking me down too lol). I then tried to hold onto first, kept pulling him in then losing him down the long sections. Again with 2 laps to go decided it wasnít worth the risk of points to chase him down. Iíd been keeping an eye on my new pit board all weekend and knowing how far behind riders and groups where, was very helpful.
So we ended up in 3rd overall for the round. After some exhilarating racing. I got to meet the other 3 guys at the end of the day, they where all top blokes and really into their racing. Iím really looking forward to racing against them again.
I donít know the point score for the weekend or the total for the series as yet, will let you know when I do.
For now as usual some big thankyouís. Firstly to my amazing Girlfriend Chris Knight. She is sensational in the pits, is now doing pit board duty and without her, wouldnít even be able to race this year. Kabuto helmets again for looking after my noggin, Stephen and crew at Aly-Tek for my new pit board and all the fabrication work that gets done on my bike.. If anyone needs any fabrication work for any situation, this guy is a true artist. Andy Knighton for lending us a trailer, so we could take both bikes out, Stuart for the use of his house. The motorcycle sportsmen club and BEARS for running an amazing meeting, all the flaggies, who as usual, do an amazing job to allow us to race. It takes massive commitment on their behalf and I can never thank them enough, Mickís leathers fix, who, thankfully this time, I didnít give him much to do lol. Also to the other competitors and lastly to everyone who has followed and supported me. Means a lot to me.
I've also started writing a column for an online magazine called Durorider which is a subscription deal. Hope some of you check it out, it's an awesome read (even without my column lol)
Until next time
Ride it like you stole it
Gasket
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 AM

Good read.
How are things going bike wise?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yeah bike wise ok. IT's still standard apart from modifying the pipes and fitting an air cleaner.
Had to put a mitchys hub in it after the original was damaged in first round. ive got the radiator support bracket and a quick change sprocket carrier now. Also have been getting eprom from Adam.. really made a huge differnece. Trying to save up for suspension work and hopefully some motor work. As I have very quick tracks coming up next and the guys I'm racing against have some dam quick bikes I'm thinking just some head work and cams, a set of new pistons and undercutting the gears anyone done motor work on these and know the right mods?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode