Unlocking the F3 performance - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Unlocking the F3 performance

For those of us that have ridden this bike, reviews of various outlets, WSS and personal experience, the bike has tons of potential. But what are some of the key things that can be done to get to such a high level? Since RC isn't exactly sharing their secrets..I thought I'd start a thread where we could collectively talk about what improved the bike and what has and hasn't worked for each of us. It can be suspension or chassis, power, electronics etc.
For example, you have the R6 that can be easily made competitive because of how long it's been out and "key" things people found out along the way. I've been disappointed to see the gap in the US to other bikes in Moto America.
Like the GSXR-600, it's known that you need to extend the forks to help with many of the handling issues.
The generation 4 Zx10, changing the rear suspension link is a key.

Things like that. It can be small or big. I'll be posting some stuff up to share once I get my computer back up to par.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:33 PM

We were one of the teams that fielded a F3 last year in MotoAmerica. We ran in Supersport and continued until Laguna Seca where sadly, sponsorship money ran out with two rounds to go.

So we spent most of the season running mid to back like the Veloce Racing team and also H35 with Benny Solis. Benny packed in the MV earlier in the season and went back to Honda but Veloce and ZAG punched it out for the rest of the season.

So what was the big issue? Why were the F3's so far back from the front? Actually, we did score a 7th place finish in the rain at Road America, proving that the rider and the bike have potential. There was one major problem that we all suffered from. Basically we were all racing stock motorcycles in the Supersport class. Our bike had stock electronics and harness and zero engine work done. Benny was about the same and Veloce was the only team that had done any realy work done to their bikes. They did lose engines though.

We also suffered from a lot of overheating which killed a couple of very good races for us. One in particular was VIR where we were running solidly in the top 10 and had two bikes in front of us that were definitely going to be overtaken until the bike overheated badly and we had to retire.

The team has worked with the F3 almost from the beginning but sadly, the stock ECU hobbles the bikes performance badly and we never received the racing ECU until Miller, which was one of only two races left for us. Barely scratched the surface of what the bikes potential was / is.

It's all about parts and data.
Without the necessary parts, it is very difficult to run against the top teams who have everything necessary, lots of crew and tons of data from previous years. Our team had zip, zilch, nada. We were figuring out gearing, tire choice, suspension setup and whatever we could do to help with our Rapid Bike, piggyback electronics but the stock ECU continued to hobble us regardless. The ECU is designed for street use and not track. It made it really tough.

The good news is that we are going to start testing the F3 again this coming weekend. Our bike runs the Bitubo suspension and we have the full race ECU and harness now. We have also had the head decked and we sent our cams to Italy to have them made adjustable. The bikes handling was all that saved us in MotoAmerica. If it didn't handle and brake as good as it does, we would have been dead last most of the time.

So having said that, you should always go after suspension first and that holds true for the F3 as well. After that, its pretty much imperative that you purchase and install the race ECU and harness. You also need to figure our how to keep the bike running cool in hot temps and venting the bodywork as much as possible is key.

We will know a little more specifics after this weekend. We don't have the cams installed yet so with the decked head we are going to be down on power some as the cam timing is off but it's ok, we plan on working with the rider aids first anyway. Clutchless up and downshifts, anti wheelie control, throttle setup, engine braking, etc.

I will post up some info after we get through the weekend.

Bernie
ZAG Racing
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZAGRacing For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Very interesting...Good Luck!

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Very interesting...Good Luck!
+1. Very interested in following your success going forward!

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGRacing View Post
The team has worked with the F3 almost from the beginning but sadly, the stock ECU hobbles the bikes performance badly and we never received the racing ECU until Miller, which was one of only two races left for us. Barely scratched the surface of what the bikes potential was / is.
ZAG,
Is the racing ECU offered at Evolutionbike still considered a 'stock' ecu or a real race ECU as you described in your post? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I have no idea what make/model these ECUs are. Anyone know if they're still Eldor?

http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagusta...3/mvcorse.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Spark For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Any news? I'm very interested in this RC racing ECU performances.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:48 PM

This rem ECU is a stock eldor one but has been modified ,pretty much just for an open aftermarket exhaust on a road bike, they disable the oem exhaust valve servo ,and change the ignition and injector timing to suit an open exhaust, they used to do a full race ECU but i done see it on there website any more hope this helps

just had a proper search on their website and they have 2 full race ECUs
WSS RDTL00116 EUR 1,500
STK RDTL017114 EUR 1,500
RACE LOOM RDTL007114 EUR 950

hope this hleps

Last edited by secretchimp; 03-08-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: updating info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
ZAG,
Is the racing ECU offered at Evolutionbike still considered a 'stock' ecu or a real race ECU as you described in your post? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I have no idea what make/model these ECUs are. Anyone know if they're still Eldor?

MV Agusta Corse
Interesting thread that brings more questions than answers.

I was thinking about getting the Rapid Bike fueling system, but apparently it isn't that good without a Race ECU?. I am not a racer so there is no reason for me to go all out on getting a top of the line setup, but I want my bike to run reasonable well.

Is running stock ECU/Fueling fine with no CAT and a Pipe? If I got one thing, the Rapid Bike or the bottom Tier racing ECU, which would be better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode