Race report - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Race report

Thought I'd share my race report with you guy from my first outing on the ol F4 750. Hope you enjoy

2016 B.E.A.R.S Championship
2016 has finally gotten underway for Gasket Racing. Not only is it a new season, we are running an entirely different bike and class. Gone is the little 125 and in itís place is now a 2001 MV Agusta F4 750.

We ran this bike only once around 2 years ago when it was first purchased just to make sure it ran.
In 2015 I raced a few rounds of BSB in support classes on my 125. I sold my bike to return home. After not being able to gain a ride with any teams, I decided set it up to race in Australia. Deciding to run an older Italian bike, has somewhat been a bit of an eye opener. Parts are hard to find and when you do find them can quite often take a very long time to arrive.
After struggling to find fairings a friend Dave Stone helped me out and we made our own moulds and fairings. I also had a lot of help from other friends. We finally had the bike re assembled with 1 day to go before I had to leave for the first round. Loaded it on the ute Monday night and I headed off first thing Tuesday morning for the 2 day drive down to South Australiaís Mac Park.Good ol gps took me up a dirt road when I got there, which had me very worried as it kept getting smaller and smaller. I ended up guessing which way to turn and found the track. I was greeted with a nice setting, small track with neat pit bays and beautiful scenery to camp in.
Started off with a track day on Thursday to get aquainted with the track and bike. The bike wouldnít handle properly and had a few other little mechanical issues.

Friday came and slipped on some secondhand slicks, which sounds easier than it was. As the wheel nut wouldnít come off we half wrecked my mv socket. I still hadnít managed to get the wheel off but went and picked up my girlfriend Chris from the airport, then, Eventually after a lot of damage to said socket we succeeded and started the practice sessions. Slowly working our way thru the small issues and altering things to make it more comfortable for me to reach things like levers lol. A few suspension tweaks with the help from phone calls and the bike was starting to work. Then Friday evening I noticed a lot of aluminium in my sprocket carrier and the sprocket was sitting diagonally which. After pulling the rear down, found all the cush drives where totally destroyed, it was starting to look like my weekend might be over. We ended up doing a basic repair and deciding to try it for the 1st qualifying session, take it easy and re check.

Sat morning and itís raining steadily so out we go, Iím the only one on slicks (hmmm seems to be a common thing in my racing lol) We managed a steady 4 laps with me trying to be very gentle on the throttle to look after the cush drives. Once I unsuited we pulled it down again, and the news was bad, cush drives had pulled through a lot again and more metal was visible. After a lot of searching around the pits, Darren the president of the SA club said we could use his shed and tools. So he took Chris and I there and left us to our own devices. We fashioned a couple of round plates from steel lying around the place and made a plate either side of the sprocket holding the cush drives together. Some of the bolts wouldnít fit when the sprocket carrier was in place.
We had to miss qualifying 2 which left me starting from rear of grid. It was a combined F1 And F2 class. Iím in F2. Have to say the start of the race was nerve racking to say the least, with my mind constantly thinking about the rear of the bike , the fact Iíd never started this bike off the line before. However, even tho it wasnít my best attempt at getting off the line, for some reason it ended up being one of my best starts. I felt like Moses as the rows in front of me all moved left or right leaving a perfect bike width hole straight up the middle, i never had to alter direction until turn 1.

I had a very interesting race, managing to get thru quite a few riders, down the straights they would all get me back or pull away enough to hold me off for another lap. Ended up having a dice with a bike which I thought was for 2nd in my class, turns out it he was the winner of my class that race. We had both broken the class lap record that race, but Steve had beaten me by a couple of tenths. The good news was it turns out BEARS run a progressive grid. So I was starting from grid 8 in race 2. As I finished 8th outright and 2nd in my class.
Race 2 underway and the guys up the front are definitely better at starts, was a good tussle to turn 1. This was only my 2nd start ever on the bike and Iíll try different things for the next few, this time I struggled to keep the front wheel down, the clutch reacts a lot different to how Iím used. But was still quite good. Stayed 8th into turn 1. There was a group of 4 of us having a really close race, I saw a bike crash right in front of me, who i thought was the other F2 bike that won the first race, I saw him get up out of the corner of my eye. The next lap past the pit straight and I saw Chris saying i had a small gap, for the next couple she seemed to be motioning about the same gap, then 2 laps to go the gap was smaller, I donít tend to look behind me, but as I went around turn 1 which is almost 180 deg I saw a blue bike out of the corner of my eye. Thinking Iíd made a mistake as to who the fallen rider was I upped the pace. After the race I found out he was an F1 rider behind me and that the lap I had upped the pace in fact turned out to be a new lap record. So I was feeling rather happy.
We pulled the rear wheel down after the race as it was the end of the day. There was a lot more damage to the hub and the bolts holding the plates together had started to pull thru. So we redesigned the setup, bolted it together and hoped for the best.
Sunday came and we gridded up for the next race. Starting from 6th this time, I really liked the line to turn 1. I had a great start but once hit 2nd gear the bigger bikes grabbed the advantage. I was using the 1000cc bikes to try and chase. They where blowing me away down the straights but we where having great duels in the tighter sections. After a really good battle, and keeping the winner in sight for the first time the race ended. With a 1st in class and another lap record. Iíd got past 1 bike so was in 5th outright
The final race had me start in 5th on grid, with another decent start we where away, however this time there was a lot of touching all the way to turn 1. Had to keep elbowing a bike out that was trying to lean on me. He got past by turn 1 as he was 1000cc , he then outbroke himself and ran wide, shot back on line at the exit and hit the bike in front of me, a lot of corners he was braking way to late then cutting across the bike in front of me and my lines. On one corner he totally cut the corner, running across the dirt then entering the other side bumping into the side of the bike in front of me, then the track goes uphill and to the left, as he was on the outside he again ran off track came straight back on bumping between the 2 of us pushing the bike in front of me wide. This went on for a few laps, before I could dive under the blue bike, but was still being caught behind the offending bike. He was just getting too much of a gap on me down the long back straight to be able to get past in the tight sections. So I backed off a bit to try and plan a different attack but didnít realise a bike was right behind me and he dove past, on the last lap I ended up setting another lap record trying to get regain the position. So the end result was 3 wins and a 2nd in my class.
I was then in the Easter Cup consolation race, they had me on pole for this. I had a good start and lead from start to finish. The slicks where starting to slide around most corners now, which was a lot of fun after not being able to break traction (unless of course I was crashing ) on the 125. I just kept watching Chris every lap and was trying to judge the gap by her hands. The last lap she motioned they where catching , so I upped it as much as I dared. Ended up I set my fastest lap of the weekend. Sadly as it wasnít in a BEARS race, didnít get classified as a lap record.
I am totally stoked with the debut of the MV Agusta even tho I have a big repair bill for the rear hub. Canít wait till the next round.
Big thanks to Chris, Kabuto helmets, Donsy and many more..

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

top pick all shiny in the damp.. look at those gorgeous pipes.. 2nd pic thanks Kabuto helmets, 3rd pic on slicks in the wet is quite interesting
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

more pics

thought I'd put some more pics up of the weekend, including some hardware.. Sadly we where hungry after racing , so the easter bunny was sacrificed :P
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:32 AM

What a great story!
Thank You so much for it.
And well done Sir!
As we see a 17 Year old F4 is still a winner.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Great report. Great result.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 PM

Sounds like so much fun

Cheers
Terry
2011 F4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode