Rear shock or slipper clutch? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Question Rear shock or slipper clutch?

Looking to upgrade the track worthiness of the F4, I have a friend who is offering me a very good deal on a slipper clutch but I'm also interested in a ohlins or similar rear shock and I can't decide which to do first. I will likely only be able to slip one or the other past the wife for this season, so what say you guys, should I do the rear suspension first or pop the slipper clutch in?

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM

New Site Garage
If you have your suspension set up for the track by a suspension guru, you should be able to get good service out of your stock shock, provided the spring is correctly sized for your weight. If not, it's not expensive to put a bigger spring in the stock rear shock.

Having bounced the rear end of my track bike on heavy braking / downshifts going into corners, I couldn't wait to get a slipper clutch. The slipper clutch and the quickshifter are the #1 and #2 mods I've made to my track bike, after getting the suspension set up correctly, using the right sized rear spring.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:43 PM

Easy answer. If your goal is faster lap times, you must do the suspension. A slipper clutch will not give you lower lap times if the suspension doesn't work for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Rear shock.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Put the money into more ride days

Cheers
Terry
2011 F4
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 03:02 AM

slipper - it will reduce the strain on the gearbox and/engine on over-rev/downshifts when at track.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Established Member

The stock suspension is going to be good enough (if the spring rate is right) to carry you through to A group riding level. Get it set up and you will be good for a while.

Having a slipper clutch was one of the best modifications I ever did to my bike. Now when I am entering turns, the bike is more settled because the rear isn't hopping all over the place. I was able to drop quite a bit of time off of my laps thanks to the less hectic corner entry.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Established Member

Looking from a different perspective, if your ultimately going to do both mods take the great deal on the clutch it may not be available in the future.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
Rear shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midget81 View Post
Put the money into more ride days
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
Easy answer. If your goal is faster lap times, you must do the suspension. A slipper clutch will not give you lower lap times if the suspension doesn't work for you!
All of this is great advice and what certainly what I would recommend, even if that slipper clutch is a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post
The stock suspension is going to be good enough (if the spring rate is right) to carry you through to A group riding level. Get it set up and you will be good for a while.

Having a slipper clutch was one of the best modifications I ever did to my bike. Now when I am entering turns, the bike is more settled because the rear isn't hopping all over the place. I was able to drop quite a bit of time off of my laps thanks to the less hectic corner entry.
On the same bike the OP is talking about ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Get the shockie Ian........if you don't like it I'll give you a couple of crates of Lion Red for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode