Design Corse MV Agusta race 1 of 2015 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Design Corse MV Agusta race 1 of 2015

This past weekends race, the first in 2015, was a real success, despite not being my best result. We have been plagued with small problems the entire season, and this weekend was no different. I bent the forks in an “off track” excursion and the last 2” of travel was binding. With the holidays, we were not able to get the new replacement forks here in time, and so I had to “do the best I could” with what was on the bike.

But this is also the first weekend that I had the bike set up the way I want it (forks aside). With the full exhaust and race ECU I now have the power to be competitive with all but the most “tricked out” sportbikes on the grid. Corner speed is not a problem – I carry more corner speed than anyone out there. It’s been the run down the straights.

So Friday I practiced some nifty lines and sneaky overtaking places – practice that would really pay off in the race. I was taking some “plunging” lines into late apex’s where I’d shoot past trail breaking, and then close off their line at the corner apex. Not a fast line, but an effective overtake. And it rattles the person you’re passing. Perfect.

My Achilles heel was qualifying. I ended up 22nd on the grid out of 30 riders, with a time that’s almost 4 seconds slower than my race time on the same day. This was entirely due to the forks binding under heavy breaking, meaning I was having to break early, and also avoid any kind of bumps on the track (always in the heavy breaking zones), and carry far less corner speed than I'd like in bumpy corners.

Conditions were sketchy, and over the two days, there were more crashes than the entire season combined beforehand. So it was important to ride smart.
Before the race, I took a gamble, taking out some Compression to keep the fork off the bottom. I wasn’t going to be able to test it, but in reality I had nothing to loose.

I got off the starting line well, passing one rider by turn 1, but I was also passed by one as we entered turn 1 and 2. For the first lap, I just tracked the guy in front of me, and then I started to get aggressive, taking two people in one pass in the final corner as I drove through them breaking very late to the apex. I barely pulled it off, but I pulled it off.

I picked my way through the field, catching each rider as I do in the corners, sitting right on their tail and then zipping through them at the next corner. Some of the passes were clean and easy – some required big brass balls with some very sketchy breaking. The change to the suspension was paying off with radically reduced front end chatter, but I also could feel the front end wanting to go when I was at max lean angle and high corner speed.

Why I’m so happy about the race is I made no mistakes. Not one. It was a perfect race for me. Off the line quickly, and I laid down my best race time all the while passing other riders (so never with clean open track). I ended up in 16th, just over half-way mark, but having passed 6 riders in the 6 laps, with lap times that were on a par with the top 8 finishers.

Race two was cancelled because of a nasty crash right before, requiring two people to be heli-vac out of the area. With fading light, and cooling road, this was the best call.

All in all the team of Design Corse/MV Agusta was a huge success this weekend, and we have really made some great in-roads in getting where we want to be.

2013 MV Agusta F3

Recent Bikes
Ducati Monster
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki GXR 750
Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Ducati 848

I'm not a bad ass, but I play one on Facebook.
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM

New Site Garage
Very good news. Hope the forks come in time for testing and the next race.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Forks already installed ;-)

2013 MV Agusta F3

Recent Bikes
Ducati Monster
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki GXR 750
Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Ducati 848

Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Is That You Or Your Wife On That Bike? Lol , Nice Write Up Corran, Good Luck With Your Race Season 2015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Thank You very much for Your progress updates.
I enjoy reading it every time and it sounds great that You found more confidence and speed.
I can't wait to read about regular top ten results.
Great job Coran!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM

New Site Garage
Fun read and nice pix - thanks for sharing!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAgusta View Post
Is That You Or Your Wife On That Bike? Lol , Nice Write Up Corran, Good Luck With Your Race Season 2015
She's easy to recognize. She wears a lot of pink.

2013 MV Agusta F3

Recent Bikes
Ducati Monster
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki GXR 750
Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Ducati 848

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Great news - and here's hoping you nail Qualifying for the next race.

Excellent photos too.

2013 MV Agusta F3
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 AM

New Site Garage
Nice update! And now top 5!!!!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM

Great report Corran. This is what we like to see, an MV leading the pack.

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode