Took the Brutie back to the track - tried GoPro Chesty - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Took the Brutie back to the track - tried GoPro Chesty

At a previous trackday I used a frame mounted GoPro. The chesty works great on the Brutale because of the riding position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppz-531960M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 AM

looks like a lot of fun,now slide that back wheel out,and get your knee on the ground, any insurance over there on the track?

cheers eddy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I clearly need to work in my form and get my butt out. I am riding pretty conservatively because the last thing I want is test my limits and find them. This is my only bike and certainly not one I'd be happy to see crash and end up in dirt and gravel. No insurance. I researched this extensively and there's no coverage out there for track days so each one is a bit of a gamble but the fun reward makes it all worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Established Member

trepidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
I clearly need to work in my form and get my butt out. I am riding pretty conservatively because the last thing I want is test my limits and find them. This is my only bike and certainly not one I'd be happy to see crash and end up in dirt and gravel. No insurance. I researched this extensively and there's no coverage out there for track days so each one is a bit of a gamble but the fun reward makes it all worth it.
These are all of the same reasons I've not mustered up the nerve to do a track day. I was worried I'd go out there, trying to learn and work on my form a bit, and have to deal with hooligans on liter gixxers ripping by me. I'm sure bad apples are out there, but it looks like everyone is aware of their surroundings and very courteous. I want to take a crack at it now

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Established Member

I've been to the track many times, but only in my cage and never on my bike. That being said, it looks like you were taking some decent lines through those turns and hitting many of those apexes. You're probably doing better than you give yourself credit for. Just slowly increase your speeds and ratchet things up a small step at a time. You will learn to approach your limits (which will change as you improve) and you will have plenty more fun!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Chris,
I have done three track days with the 1090RR and this thing is seriously addictive ( I regret not having done that with my previous Brutale which was an S). It also makes the 3 hour week-end rides a little dull.

Regarding risks, I feel a lot safer on the track than I do on highway 1 north of San Francisco: no wildlife jumping across your front wheel, no gravel or rocks in my lane, no distracted drivers, no SUVs passing a group of cyclists in a blind turn in the opposite direction, no tractors coming out of a field, and no cops. It is objectively a better environment to ride provided that you ride within your skill level and that you don't go all hot-headed just because you can. All the crashes I have seen on the track were people who did just that and went way too hot in a corner thinking they were Marquez then panicked and target fixated or just lost traction. Last time a guy lost it coming out of the pit and forgot that it's smart to give it half a lap at moderate pace for your tires to warm up before opening up some more.

So the trick is really to go to the track cool-headed and without the objective to try to impress anyone and to ride within your comfort zone and expand that zone session after session. I also spend quite a bit of time observing the group of people I ride with and get a sense of how comfortable they look and how susceptible they are to do something stupid. I am also very cautious and take my time before passing anyone. I am not there to beat any record and I am OK with people being a lot faster than I am.
I have done all my days with https://z2trackdays.com/ti/z2/index.html and I have found them very professional and serious with plenty of instructors at your disposal.

Give it a shot, it's the only safe way to find out what's on the other side of 8000 rpm (and what it sounds like)

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 10-24-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Established Member

That's all really great advice. Saturday I got pants, boots, and better gloves to prepare for track and canyon rides. I'm hoping to get to Willow Springs for a track day on the Streets of Willow course sometime in November, if I can sort out what's happening with the bike in time

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
Chris,
I have done three track days with the 1090RR and this thing is seriously addictive ( I regret not having done that with my previous Brutale which was an S). It also makes the 3 hour week-end rides a little dull.

Regarding risks, I feel a lot safer on the track than I do on highway 1 north of San Francisco: no wildlife jumping across your front wheel, no gravel or rocks in my lane, no distracted drivers, no SUVs passing a group of cyclists in a blind turn in the opposite direction, no tractors coming out of a field, and no cops. It is objectively a better environment to ride provided that you ride within your skill level and that you don't go all hot-headed just because you can. All the crashes I have seen on the track were people who did just that and went way too hot in a corner thinking they were Marquez then panicked and target fixated or just lost traction. Last time a guy lost it coming out of the pit and forgot that it's smart to give it half a lap at moderate pace for your tires to warm up before opening up some more.

So the trick is really to go to the track cool-headed and without the objective to try to impress anyone and to ride within your comfort zone and expand that zone session after session. I also spend quite a bit of time observing the group of people I ride with and get a sense of how comfortable they look and how susceptible they are to do something stupid. I am also very cautious and take my time before passing anyone. I am not there to beat any record and I am OK with people being a lot faster than I am.
I have done all my days with https://z2trackdays.com/ti/z2/index.html and I have found them very professional and serious with plenty of instructors at your disposal.

Give it a shot, it's the only safe way to find out what's on the other side of 8000 rpm (and what it sounds like)
Great advice right here - Great attitude mate -

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Chris,

Make sure you can get the bike prep'ed to the requirements of the organization you ride with and/or specific track. Nothing worse than being turned away on the day because you haven't substituted your coolant or your exhaust is too loud or your helmet isn't DOT compliant. In my case the track is 40 minutes from home so I ride to the track with everything in a backpack: tools to remove my mirrors, blue painters tape for my headlight (I simply unplug my tail light - thanks MV!), duck tape for my wheel weights, digital gauge to lower my tire pressure, lunch food and snacks and tons of water. I can make my bike track-ready in 15 minutes and on site.

So besides having a solid night sleep the day before and having a bike in good overall mechanical condition (controls, fluids, transmission, brakes...), the two most critical aspects are your tires and your suspensions. Make sure your tires have plenty of life left in them or better, are new with 100+ miles of scrubbing. And spend the $20.00 it'll cost you to get your suspension dialed in to your weight and riding style/preference. It'll change your bike's personality for the better making it both safer and more enjoyable to ride.

Have fun!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Great advice right here - Great attitude mate -
Thanks Donsy. The way I see it is that a track day is a day where I have a total blast riding my Brutale (in a way I wouldn't on the street) then get home unscathed, happy, exhausted but hungry for more and with my bike in one piece

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 10-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode