F3 675 trackday impressions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F3 675 trackday impressions

Just back from a cracking day at Cadwell Park, thought I'd share my thoughts on how the 675 did…….
First off I fitted bodywork from ricambiweiss in germany with a bikesplast tank cover from the Czech Republic, as there's not much choice in the uk. The bodywork is really well made, I've had other stuff before that was a nightmare to fit, but this was ok with all holes marked out for drilling and reinforced kevlar tabs where fasteners go. It didn't come with any fasteners so I fitted Dzus 1/4 turn buttons with rivet-on backs and used rubber well nuts for the tail under tray. The under tray didn't have a hole for the rectifier so I've drilled a section out to keep it cool. All in it took a few nights in the garage to fit right, but I didn't get time to get it painted before I set off, so it's just white for now, eventually matte black with a few decals which I already have. Screen is a Puig DB tint. Nice to look at and nice to tuck-in behind.
[IMG][/IMG]

Noise testing……this had been a worry, Cadwell is 105dB limit and the stock system is supposedly 106dB. No worry, I informed the noise testers that it was 800cc and therefore it was tested at 5000rpm static where it put-out 100dB. Result. 675cc are tested at 6500 rpm.

Onto the track…….First session out TC was on level 4 with 'S' map. Even after a few warm up laps it was plain obvious that the TC was going to be a pain, it cut in on the bumps after Kagayama's chicane with the bike perfectly upright and again going over the mountain. Each session out I turned the TC down eventually leaving it on 1. Even on 1 it stopped play on the bumps over the mountain, sometimes it wouldn't give full power back for a few seconds while it made it's mind up what to do. In future I'm just going to turn it off.
Now some good stuff…….handling, bloody brilliant, light, flickable and utterly sharp and totally stable when on it's side. The brakes were perfect and didn't fade all day, loads of power & feel, although the lever did start coming a little closer to the bar by the end of each 20 minute session, but nothing too bad at all. I have no idea how well the rear brake works, never used it. The bike did shake it's head a bit blasting down park straight and I'd had the "give me a damper" thoughts but as the day wore on I think I relaxed more and it never got to be a problem. For my needs the stock suspension is good, really impressed. The forks didn't bottom-out (I used a tie wrap to mark) and the standard sachs rear shock is really impressive. I'd been looking at upgrading this for track work, but looking at the wear on the rear tyre I think it'll be staying put. I've had posh suspension on track bikes for as long as I can remember, but at the pace I'm now riding this is perfect for me, it got hot but didn't fade. Well impressed with how the tyre wore:
[IMG][/IMG]

Tyres used were Metzeler racetec interact K1 front K2 rear, 29psi/27psi cold.

Power………nice, once the engine is spinning. It lacked punch out of 2nd gear corners, I think this could be helped with different gearing on the sprockets, but at the moment I think the only way to go about this is a 520 chain conversion. I'd have a go at 1 tooth smaller on the front, but as it is 2nd gear did all the way from kagayama's until the exit of barn, which shows how flexible the motor is, but other bikes were getting better drive out of slow corners. Once the revs are up she flies, it gobbled a ZX6 on the start/finish before coppice on top end power and even gave an RSV4 a good chase down the straights, so no complaints there.

Bad stuff…..electronics. Give me a well set-up bank of carbs over this stuff any day. The fuel injection was absolutely perfect, I have the latest software and mapping, no complaints there at all, it was faultless. What I didn't like was the so called engine braking control. Going down the start/finish the bike's in 5th, I use 4th for the entry to coppice, so just a shift down and a bit of brake, this is where the bike decides it's going to open the throttles on it's own. This I didn't enjoy, I'm wanting to slow down for a 110mph (? guess?) entry and the bike suddenly speeds itself up, FFS. Not good. I'd have had a go with the custom map setting if I'd remembered which buttons to press, so I'll do that for next time out.

All-in it was a brilliant bike to ride at the track, I had a scream, but I'd rather not have all this electronic stuff, it's just not needed on this bike, there's too much going on when 100% of your thoughts should be on razzing around the track as fast as possible, not wondering what the ECU is going to decide what to do.
Things on the shopping list now: exhaust, might free up a few ponies lower down and a quick shifter would be nice.
Can't wait 'til the next one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM

I absolutely love the F3 on the track. Although I have the 800 I haven't had a single issue with TC. Granted I keep it on the lowest level but even pulling hard in the turns and corner exit I haven't had an issue with it cutting in and that's at a pretty good pace. Although I will state that the 800 being geared taller than the 675 is a disadvantage on the track as I've rode and tracked both. I'll be going up a tooth or two in the rear as I want to keep from making the front smaller.

Cheers, Jon-Michael

2014 F3 800 EAS
2013 F3 675 EAS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sitr View Post
I absolutely love the F3 on the track. Although I have the 800 I haven't had a single issue with TC. Granted I keep it on the lowest level but even pulling hard in the turns and corner exit I haven't had an issue with it cutting in and that's at a pretty good pace. Although I will state that the 800 being geared taller than the 675 is a disadvantage on the track as I've rode and tracked both. I'll be going up a tooth or two in the rear as I want to keep from making the front smaller.
Maybe Cadwell is a bit of an unfair place to have a stab at the TC, I see you are from Kentucky so may have not done Cadwell's 'mountain'. Have a search for Josh Brookes Cadwell on youlube.
Why would you avoid going down a tooth on the front? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Makes for a really tight bend on the chain promoting faster wear. Possibly also wearing on the swing arm guide plates too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode