For Sale : Yamaha RT1 360 1972 , DT360.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Cool For Sale : Yamaha RT1 360 1972 , DT360..

Hi Guys

I'm selling off a few of my 1970's Yamaha two strokes.

For Sale is this rare 1972 Yamaha RT1360.

Considering this Yamaha is over 41 years old, itís in exception condition for its age.. Even the original supplying dealer stickers have survived ( see pictures).

This example is very original and still has its factory tool kit and all its aluminium wiring loom straps.. The seat base is in perfect condition and has survived all these years without succumbing to corrosion like most do.

The original Takasgo wheels are in very good condition and free from dents and corrosion. Even the steering damper and hard to find factory fitted extra handle bar mirror is still present...

The bike comes with its factory owners hand book, a NOS full carburettor overhaul kit as spares and a proper period Workshop service manual.

This is a rare opportunity to own this lovely example of a 1972 RT1, as these bikes were not imported into the UK by Yamaha.

It's important to note, that these bikes are lighter and more powerful than the later DT400ís, as they came with more BHP than the later models.

I personally think this example is to nice and original to under go a full restoration and rides superb for its age. The mileage looks to be genuine and the engine pulls hard and doesnít smoke.

This RT1 is for sale at £3000 (which is less than the sum of the parts it sold as spares).

These bikes are getting harder and harder to find in the UK, and certainly very few come up for sale in this condition. The bike is also Road Tax exempt, because of its age.

All it needs is a new battery and she's good to go !

Please feel free to PM or email me if you need any further info.

Cheers for looking
John

SOLD !
Attached Images

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 10-24-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 AM

Nice John, very tempting....I had one back in the old days

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well, this is interesting. Starting in 1971 I worked in Yamaha dealerships and in 1981 was a District Technical Manager for Yamaha US.
The RT-1 Yamaha 360 was a piston port engine. The RT-1B was the 1971 and last of the piston port engines.
In 1972 Yamaha introduced the "Torque Induction" reed valve cylinders and gave the 360 enduro the RT-2 model name. The 1973 became the RT-3 and in 1974 the model name became DT360 with letter designators for subsequent years (i.e. DT360B for 1975).

The frame and engine numbers you have are for a 1971 RT-1, but the cylinder is definitely the reed valve type from '72 on.
The paint and gas tank stripes are from the 1973 model. The 1972 had a plain silver tank, while the 71 model was black with a thin red stripe.

Yamaha and other Japanese OEMs sell different color schemes in different countries and may have done so in the 70's, but since this bike came from a US dealer I presume it is a US model.
Pretty much all the parts are interchangeable for all the 360 Enduro models up to 1974 when major engine and chassis changes were made.
So I'm not sure exactly what you have, but it certainly is a nice example, even if the bits don't add up to a totally original 1972 RT-2.
These were (are) really strong and light bikes, and a lot of fun to ride as long as you recognize they are from an era when 4 inches of front fork travel was considered a lot.!
Good luck with your sale. I wouldn't mind having that one in my garage!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-06-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Cheers Guys..

Thanks Ed for your run down on the model year differences..

However, this bike had to be inspected by a Yamaha UK rep from Weybridge in Surrey at my local dealership, before they could issue a letter of type approval, and I also have a covering letter from the VMCC confirming this actual bike's specification and origin.

This was necessary so I could satisfy the UK DVLA registration agency of the correct model year and be issued with a age related registration number..

Here is a good link for the specs and history on this model

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...yamaha_rt1.htm

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWStl4nGxo

Attached Images

EMAIL :

Last edited by JDS; 09-07-2013 at 04:35 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Old Wing Nut

John...I stand corrected on the serial number.
I had remembered the prefix changing from RT1 in 1972 with the implementation of the reed valve engine, but it remained RT1 through the entire model run 1970~1973

....however, what you have is a 1973 RT-3, regardless of what your inspectors may think.

Here are the VIN number ranges for each year model

1972 VIN is RT1-100101 ~ 124142
1973 VIN is RT1-125101 ~ 150994

Here a nice link to Yamaha models and serial numbers through the years:
http://cyclerestorer.com/pages/show_...acturer=Yamaha

And yours is a damn fine example, too. Only missing the standard equipment turn signals (clamped to the handlebars in front and rubber mounted to the rear frame loop....you can see the rear mount bosses in your pictures).
Like I said, I'd have it in my garage in a heartbeat. Good luck with the sale.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Old Wing Nut

By the way, doesn't need a battery to run (points magneto) but the lighting system will work a lot better with a good battery.

Also, a fully open (badly sulfated) battery can cause charge system voltage to blow the headlight bulb (sealed beam and hard to get) since the battery can't absorb it (more common problem on 1974 model Yamaha Enduros which had stronger charge systems).

Suggest not turning on the headlight whilst riding if the dead battery is THAT dead.
The battery is readily available and fairly inexpensive.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Cheers for the info Ed..

What's important is that on the UK registration document it's down as a 1972, which makes it road tax exempt...

Unfortunately, the bike came to me without the OEM indicators, but the rest of her is all there... I can't believe how nice a condition the gauge faces are in, as most of the ones I've seen imported from the States are either faded or cracked from UV exposure.

Cheers for the tip on the battery.. It's a tough old girl to kick over, even with the de-compressor fully opened... Maybe it's a sign of the times that I'm getting to old to be kick starting bikes..

I'm selling off this RT1 and a 1969 DT1 250 to free up some space..

The Mrs wants a classic sports convertible and I was thinking of something like a 1966 Duetto Spider. It's cheap to run, handles well for their age and parts are still quite easy to obtain.

I missed out on one last week at an auction at Brooklands race circuit.. It when for well over it's reserve because two bidders got into a bidding war and I wasn't going to fall into that trap.

Attached Images

EMAIL :
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Old Wing Nut

Oooohhhh.....a '69 DT-1.....the bike that changed the motorcycle market and set the US on an off road riding adventure. Shades of On Any Sunday......very rare and cool.

And a Duetto Spider ?? I, too, want one of those.......

Your RT....regardless of certification....is a really clean original. I have no doubt the mileage is original.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Question For Sale Yamaha DT360 RT1 360

Any last takers before I list this old girl on Ebay ?

Cheers
J

EMAIL :
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Unhappy By By Old Girl !

Well my beloved 07/1972 RT1 has been sold and is going abroad once again..

Will be sad to see her go, but at least I'm 100% sure she's gone to a good home and the new owner will look after her..

Here are some pictures I took of her this morning, just before she left home...

Attached Images

EMAIL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode