WTB: Pappy Van Winkle Burbon - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
WTB: Pappy Van Winkle Burbon

Yeah, I misspelled bourbon.
Looking for someone with bottles from The Old Rip Van Winkle distillery. Very hard to find, very limited. I am interested in the 15 the 20 or the 23. I am willing to pay a reasonable top dollar for bottles depending on age. Obviously must be sealed.

Thanks for looking, hope its not too far outside of motorcycling, but this forum has a membership of people that appreciate some of the nicer things in life, and this shizzle is hard to find.

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Big Randaddy

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.thefind.com/food/info-pap...winkle-bourbon

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
It sure is Randy, but if you click on any one of those links you will find that they're out of stock and don't plan to have any for the rest of the season. The stuff only comes out a little bit at a time and usually gets bought up fast. My best chances of finding a bottle this year would be from someone who already has one personally and is willing to part with it.

If you do by some very astronomically small random chance find a bottle that is for sale online please let me know, but I think you'll find that any time you click any link to this Bourbon, you will find it's out of stock and they don't know when they will have more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM

New Site Garage
Ian, in our area Pappy goes to the very best customers of the liquor stores that can get it. My wife has bought about 5-6 bottles over the past two years from her favorite store. In my opinion, there are other bourbons at the same level as Pappy, but none have the mystique of being as scarce, so people treat it like it's some kind of magical potion that is far superior to everything else.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Ian, in our area Pappy goes to the very best customers of the liquor stores that can get it. My wife has bought about 5-6 bottles over the past two years from her favorite store. In my opinion, there are other bourbons at the same level as Pappy,
I would love to hear your top ten favorites

I like many different whiskeys, but I also like to have some rare and expensive stuff. I have several very good bottles of Scotch, and Irish whiskey but it's harder to find some super rare Bourbons, al least it seems that way to me.

Quote:
but none have the mystique of being as scarce, it's some kind of magical potion that is far superior to everything else.
Thats how I feel about MV !

If your wife will ever come off of a bottle that she gets, let me know!

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM

New Site Garage
There's a bottle of one of the Pappy's in our guest bedroom in a bag - I think it's for my Sister in Law though. My wife is able to get it since she is a really good customer. Get to know the manager or owner of a small liquor store in your neighborhood and let him pick some things for you. Eventually he'll reward you with a bottle of Pappy if you're not too pushy about it. The stores are getting tired of people from afar calling up and wanting Pappy shipped to them. Store owners want long term repeat local customers and are willing to sell Pappy to them (when they get it).

I picked up 37 cases of liquor, wine and Prosecco for a party last month and spent about a half hour on an early Saturday morning chatting with the store manager. They love to be appreciated for their knowledge and enjoy getting to know their customers. Tennessee just passed a law last year allowing liquor stores to offer tastings to customers. Since wine is only available in liquor stores in Tennessee, they get a lot of well healed customers for both liquor and wine, and our store does a tasting every Saturday afternoon!

I don't really have a top ten list but I like some bourbons from Rowan's Creek, Four Roses, Black Maple Hill, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve. There's a bunch of really good ones out there.

Kevin

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Big Randaddy

So Kevin......is your wife a heavy drinker?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
There's a bottle of one of the Pappy's in our guest bedroom in a bag - I think it's for my Sister in Law though. My wife is able to get it since she is a really good customer. Get to know the manager or owner of a small liquor store in your neighborhood and let him pick some things for you. Eventually he'll reward you with a bottle of Pappy if you're not too pushy about it. The stores are getting tired of people from afar calling up and wanting Pappy shipped to them. Store owners want long term repeat local customers and are willing to sell Pappy to them (when they get it).

I picked up 37 cases of liquor, wine and Prosecco for a party last month and spent about a half hour on an early Saturday morning chatting with the store manager. They love to be appreciated for their knowledge and enjoy getting to know their customers. Tennessee just passed a law last year allowing liquor stores to offer tastings to customers. Since wine is only available in liquor stores in Tennessee, they get a lot of well healed customers for both liquor and wine, and our store does a tasting every Saturday afternoon!

I don't really have a top ten list but I like some bourbons from Rowan's Creek, Four Roses, Black Maple Hill, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve. There's a bunch of really good ones out there.
The problem in NC is that the state picks what liquors will be behind the glass cabinet, and then that is ordered for all the stores in NC. They usually have the same things in all the ABC stores from Raleigh to Charlotte. The second issue I have is that NC is one of the few states that don't allow liquor to be shipped across the state lines, meaning even if I find something online that I want, I have to ship it to an uncle in Florida or a cousin in California and then have them mail it to me. Super sad face.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
So Kevin......is your wife a heavy drinker?
Not really. She's about 5'8", 125 lbs.

Kevin

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
The problem in NC is that the state picks what liquors will be behind the glass cabinet, and then that is ordered for all the stores in NC. They usually have the same things in all the ABC stores from Raleigh to Charlotte. The second issue I have is that NC is one of the few states that don't allow liquor to be shipped across the state lines, meaning even if I find something online that I want, I have to ship it to an uncle in Florida or a cousin in California and then have them mail it to me. Super sad face.
Oh. Bummer - State Stores. Liquor and beer distributors in Tennessee have huge political clout so privately owned liquor stores are the only source here. Which is good. So far, their political clout has kept wine sales out of grocery stores, although the big grocery chains are lobbying hard for it. My money is on the distributors since they have been solidly investing in State Legislators for decades.

Kevin

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode