Guns, Politics, and Religion. - Page 818 - MVAgusta.net
 1291Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #8171 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 PM

Is it just me, because there seems to be a pattern forming here. Oops down there...V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8172 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Pattern forming.
Attached Images

esq'z me likes this.
post #8173 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:54 AM

Eww,
Attached Images

Last edited by DaveNZ; 10-19-2019 at 09:42 PM.
post #8174 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Red face

Way back to a much earlier question, put to me directly:

No .. It has been proven many times over by both calculations, predictions and actual "lifecycle" measurements of decommisioned wind-generators -- They produce FAR more electrical energy than they will ever consume in both construction, maintenance and decommisioning. I do not remember the actual numbers, but I seem to remember the Danish institute of Technlogy doing a study that showed that even 1. generation commercial wind-generators had a Carbon footprint around 1000 times smaller than the lifetime production of electrical energy output CO2 equivalent, if produced by burning Coal.

There are no two ways about it -- the way forward is a combination of renewable energy sources and NON fossil fuels (Like Radioactive isotopes) With modern technology it is perfctly possible to use Fission-based energy plants with a more than acceptable level of safety, and low production of radioactive waste that needs long term storage. (Google "Seaborg Technologies" ) --- However Nuclear technologies ARE not politically correct in a lot of the really energy-consuming societies, its much easier to tell the countries with an emerging industrialization thet THEY can NOT do like the rich countries did ..
Usually countries with high levels of Earthquake and volcanic activity, can make use of geothermal energy, to replace Nuclear fission -- Iceland is a prime example .. But not all places are that lucky -- Hydro power facilities often damage, deface or ruin places of great natural beauty- Then you will have people or organizations (Usually consisting of members from already "well off" countries) coming to the "rescue" of these "Places we must preserve for the world" -- Brazils use of clearing and burning the Amazon rainforest to produce their own Ethanol-fuel for their cars is a prime example.

I do not believe that we will succeed in curbing global warming -- that train has left the station a decade ago .... All we may be able to do is mitigate the effects, but even that will take steps that may prove politically impossible -- We in the western world are the only ones who CAN turn our insane energy consumption down, but none of us will go without our daily shower or cycle 20 miles to work ... Not gonna happen until we are forced to ..

"There is no law of Nature, requiring the Universe to make sense"
"103% of all people do not understand Statistics"
"Sapere Aude -- Dare to KNOW!"
-- DKDravis --

Last edited by DKDravis; 10-20-2019 at 07:31 PM.
post #8175 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDravis View Post

No .. It has been proven many times over by both calculations, predictions and actual "lifecycle" measurements of decommisioned wind-generators -- They produce FAR more electrical energy than they will ever consume in both construction, maintenance and decommisioning. I do not remember the actual numbers, but I seem to remember the Danish institute of Technlogy doing a study that showed that even 1. generation commercial wind-generators had a Carbon footprint around 1000 times smaller than the lifetime production of electrical energy output CO2 equivalent, if produced by burning Coal.

There are no two ways about it -- the way forward is a combination of renewable energy sources and NON fossil fuels (Like Radioactive isotopes) With modern technology it is perfctly possible to use Fission-based energy plants with a more than acceptable level of safety, and low production of radioactive waste that needs long term storage. (Google "Seaborg Technologies" ) --- However Nuclear technologies ARE not politically correct in a lot of the really energy-consuming societies, its much easier to tell the countries with an emerging industrialization thet THEY can NOT do like the rich countries did ..
Usually countries with high levels of Earthquake and volcanic activity, can make use of geothermal energy, to replace Nuclear fission -- Iceland is a prime example .. But not all places are that lucky -- Hydro power facilities often damage, deface or ruin places of great natural beauty- Then you will have people or organizations (Usually consisting of members from already "well off" countries) coming to the "rescue" of these "Places we must preserve for the world" -- Brazils use of clearing and burning the Amazon rainforest to produce their own Ethanol-fuel for their cars is a prime example.

I do not believe that we will succeed in curbing global warming -- that train has left the station a decade ago .... All we may be able to do is mitigate the effects, but even that will take steps that may prove politically impossible -- We in the western world are the only ones who CAN turn our insane energy consumption down, but none of us will go without our daily shower or cycle 20 miles to work ... Not gonna happen until we are forced to ..
Carbon fiber/composites are used to make the blades. Once they exceed their lifespan the materials are being thought of as a new resource to use as repurposed and/or raw material to create other products/systems. The carbon footprint is further reduced as inventiveness continues towards more thoughful uses.

https://www.compositesworld.com/news...10%2f18%2f2019

CARBON FIBER ITALIAN MOTO PROJECT
https://www.carboniemetalli.com/the-lunar-project

E d w a r d B4910s08

Last edited by Edward; 10-20-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added link to The Lunar Project
post #8176 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Carbon fiber/composites are used to make the blades. Once they exceed their lifespan the materials are being thought of as a new resource to use as repurposed and/or raw material to create other products/systems. The carbon footprint is further reduced as inventiveness continues towards more thoughful uses.

https://www.compositesworld.com/news...10%2f18%2f2019

CARBON FIBER ITALIAN MOTO PROJECT
https://www.carboniemetalli.com/the-lunar-project
Thanks guys. Good info to know.

MV Agusta F4 Superleggera (Mona Lisa)
MV Agusta F3 Ago 2015
MV Agusta F4 1000 Senna #25
Ducati 1098 2009
post #8177 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
Quote:
Way back to a much earlier question, put to me directly: No .. It has been proven many times over by both calculations, predictions and actual "lifecycle" measurements of decommisioned wind-generators -- They produce FAR more electrical energy than they will ever consume in both construction, maintenance and decommisioning. I do not remember the actual numbers, but I seem to remember the Danish institute of Technlogy doing a study that showed that even 1. generation commercial wind-generators had a Carbon footprint around 1000 times smaller than the lifetime production of electrical energy output CO2 equivalent, if produced by burning Coal. There are no two ways about it -- the way forward is a combination of renewable energy sources and NON fossil fuels (Like Radioactive isotopes) With modern technology it is perfctly possible to use Fission-based energy plants with a more than acceptable level of safety, and low production of radioactive waste that needs long term storage. (Google "Seaborg Technologies" ) --- However Nuclear technologies ARE not politically correct in a lot of the really energy-consuming societies, its much easier to tell the countries with an emerging industrialization thet THEY can NOT do like the rich countries did ..

There is not much time, although how much we have to avoid the worst of global warming is unclear. I have a more optimistic outlook than you, depending on the next few years and the occurrence of some events, many of which I concede, do not currently seem certain. Unfortunately, right wingers take it as an article of faith that being conservative means being anti-green, at least in English speaking countries. The exception to that rule was Margaret Thatcher. This completely unnecessary idelogical/cultural divide is sucking up a lot of time and energy on posturing, or what Groucho Marx would call 'choosing up sides'.

International leadership is lacking, and I suspect we both agree why. One can only hope that the US elects a govt in 2020 that will start a real conversation about global warming. A price on carbon, either a tax or an emissions trading scheme to start. It is amazing what having to consider the issue does to people's behaviour. And then the social change occurrs, hopefuly. An example is tobacco advertsing and price in Australia, the habit went from being more or less compulsory to smokers being an endangered species, literally.

If the US can not provide leadership then the UK, EU, China and Japan will need to set the pace. Can and will they? I am more concerned about bio-diversity loss and extinction than global warming, fixing the former will also fix the latter, but not necessarily the other way around. We may still end up with a liveable planet but a mono-culture in many places. I know a forester who told me that the pine forests, and a native pine, that had been planted where there was a eucalyptus forest had no discernible life, not even a spider, for years.

regards Scott
DaveNZ likes this.
post #8178 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:10 AM

you get what you vote for.
Attached Images

MacStrine likes this.
post #8179 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:13 AM

Best meme so far.
Attached Images

post #8180 of 8384 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:43 AM

Attached Images

theknurl and DKDravis like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode