Guns, Politics, and Religion. - Page 748 - MVAgusta.net
 768Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #7471 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I thought he had answered your question Rob, i also thought the question was aimed at me as i brought up the fact that FaceBook and other social media sites have made moves to curb the right wing hate, and the right wing support of this mass murder. As i said, this guy from Australia who murdered 50 NZers (Muslim) was a regular user of right wing hate and racist sites, through social media he managed to seek out like minded right wing supremacists, some here in NZ. Your question, How do you determine hate speech, and who determines whats what. Im not sure, i think just looking through the members here theres wide views on what determines a supremacist. This guy cast live, his shooting rampage, that should never have happened, it should have been stopped immediately. This guy was part of a world wide white Supremacist group, he was able to converse with them on social media. If theres one thing thats come from this tragedy is, it has exposed White Supremacists networks, how they are willing to kill innocent people, and how far and wide its reaching. How and who determines whats hate speech is? i think common sense judgement by the providers of social media outlets will determine this.
I was watching Samantha Bee t'other night, and her show said that as a result of reducing the number of migrants in the US armed services, they are having trouble making up the numbers. So they have lowered standards. Can you guess which internal terrorist group is now eligible to enrol. White supremacist. I thought they already were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:42 AM

New Site Garage
https://quillette.com/2019/03/25/ven...-noam-chomsky/

Always good to see two sides of a story or opinions about " famous linguists"

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
post #7473 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:44 AM

New Site Garage
"Simplicity can be seductive, especially when it encourages moral outrage, and it wasn’t until I saw Chomsky’s half-truths deployed in defense of the Bolivarian regime that I began to question Chomsky’s honesty and interest in objectivity."

Seems he's not alone in this department.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by Aircondy; 03-30-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #7474 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:57 AM

New Site Garage
John Pilger Biography

Just read who he predominately writes for.

Pretty sure you will struggle to get an un-biased opinion from this guy.

Probably a poster boy in a lot of Arts degree students rooms though.

post #7475 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:03 AM

New Site Garage
As with most people Noam Chomsky does make some very valid points.

I think this one could be referenced toward most middle aged university students who go there to build up a HEX debt and achieve fuck all, probably studying The Arts or Political Science.

“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don’t know how to be submissive, and so on — because they’re dysfunctional to the institutions.”

Last edited by Aircondy; 03-30-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #7476 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 AM

New Site Garage
Richard Hofstadter warned us about people like Noam Chomsky in his great book, Anti-Intellectualism in American Life. “If there is anything more dangerous,” he wrote, “to the life of the mind than having no independent commitment to ideas, it is having an excess of commitment to some special and constricting idea.” Noam Chomsky has committed himself to the special and constricting idea that liberal democracies are simply scam fronts for capitalist cabals who manipulate an unconscious public as they fill their pockets with cash. And on this basis, he has spent his career attacking the crimes and incompetence of the US, and excusing the same in its enemies. This is, needless to say, a childishly reductionistic view, unable to accommodate the complexities of national and geopolitical realities. It also leaves those who adopt it incapable of understanding the meaning of the disaster unfolding today in Venezuela, upon which Chomsky and his followers gaze with only a hint of comprehension.

post #7477 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I thought he had answered your question Rob, i also thought the question was aimed at me as i brought up the fact that FaceBook and other social media sites have made moves to curb the right wing hate, and the right wing support of this mass murder. As i said, this guy from Australia who murdered 50 NZers (Muslim) was a regular user of right wing hate and racist sites, through social media he managed to seek out like minded right wing supremacists, some here in NZ. Your question, How do you determine hate speech, and who determines whats what. Im not sure, i think just looking through the members here theres wide views on what determines a supremacist. This guy cast live, his shooting rampage, that should never have happened, it should have been stopped immediately. This guy was part of a world wide white Supremacist group, he was able to converse with them on social media. If theres one thing thats come from this tragedy is, it has exposed White Supremacists networks, how they are willing to kill innocent people, and how far and wide its reaching. How and who determines whats hate speech is? i think common sense judgement by the providers of social media outlets will determine this.
Matey, I forgot to ask, have you heard about the One Nation/NRA jape that Al Jazeera pulled? Priceless. Al Jazeera must be one of the top ten media outlets in the world, certainly the English speaking world. You may recall that the saudis tried to bully Qatar, who dare to be freinds with Iran, into shutting it down.
post #7478 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Caso View Post
Um, yeah, as an ex public company CFO/Tax/M&A/FASB/SEC guy, I do. Because if you want to make it a "rule" or a "law" it has to be technical. Otherwise it's just a "feeling". In a democratic republic that we have in the US, the gov exists at the pleasure of the people, not the other way around.
STILL waiting for the answer to: "Who do you recommend as the gatekeeper for determining what is a "hate site" and what are the parameters for such a determination?" Anybody? My buddy Scott just wants to change the subject because he can't answer this. Must be just a "feeling"
I believe that I did not finsih this conversation, excuse moi. So the 'template', if that is the right 'feeling', for managing hate speech and so on, would be the provisions of the Race discrim Act, and I specualte that it would then be 'called up', that is, referenced in an act probably called something like the Digital carriage and dissemination act 2019. I am just guessing, it couold be called anyhgting, or there may be an existing act that will be amended. Or, it might just be policy, and managed by a department. Thus, if someone was very naughty on facilebook, the two acts would be concomitant, and the alleged miscreant could be brought to justice. One of the most important things about legislation is that it sets precedents, in effect the common law, which permeates a society and contributes to the maintenance of a free, open and democratic community. Making the world a better place. I trust I have answered your question to your satisfaction?
post #7479 of 7801 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/ari...-10-times-sex/ Arizona Republican busted for paying $10 to under age boys at least 10 times for sex.........Don't those republicans oppose gay sex? Good ole christian values eh, sex with young boys is ok.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 03-31-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #7480 of 7801 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Banned

That folks is a 60 million dollar BJ.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode