Earplugs for motorcycle riding - MVAgusta.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Hey guys!

Well, I'm new here and I just want to start off with questions that I've had in mind for weeks. You know, I just got back to riding motorcycles around 3 years ago. I started riding in my teens but stopped when I got married. I'm 55 years old now and I've started hearing buzzes and ringing after every ride. Did my research and found out I might have tinnitus. Well, back in the day, we didn't even wear helmets that much and now that I'm wearing one every ride I still got this tinnitus thing. I may have been ignorant but I want to start protecting my ears now.

My questions are:

1. Is it comfortable wearing earplugs while riding?

2. What brand do you recommend?

3. Found out there are many types of earplugs for riders(foam, electronic, bluetooth, molded, etc.), what do you guys think is the best?

Thank you in advance and ride safely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Just found this business https://www.bigearinc.com/wear-ear-plugs/ are they any good? I also watched a video of them and they really are entertaining.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 PM

I definitely use ear plugs on the track, not so much on the street. I buy my ear plugs at a local gun store, the same used for the range. They seem to do the job just fine.
nigelrb likes this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 PM

I always have a case of MAX polyurethane foam earplugs on hand, sealed packs in jacket pockets, tool boxes, everywhere.
Made by Honeywell, called Howard Leight, disposable MAX. They also come corded. Used for street riding, working with power tools, and loud music events. 33db Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)

Link to company site: Howard Leight | Disposable Ear Plugs

I had reusable motorcycle specific earplugs some years back but lost them. Way too much stress keeping track of such small items little alone the bike key!
Teeps and DaveNZ like this.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

Last edited by Edward; 07-07-2019 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 PM

The type of earplug is very dependent on what type of riding you do, the noise levels you are subjected too and for how long you are exposed to the noise

Say you are riding and the noise inside of your helmet at ear level is 100db

As the attached chart shows, you want to reduce the noise your ears are subjected too to a lower limit. Say you do a two hour commute per day - then you can wear ear protection that reduces the noise exposure to 91db during the commute meaning that an ear plug that reduces sound by an average of 9db is good enough (NRR or noise reduction rating )

If you were touring for a full 8 hour day then you want to wear an earplug of at least 15db NRR reduction. (to achieve 85db)

Some helmets are noisier than others, some exhausts more noisy , a city slow speed commute is less noisy than wind at speed etc, so decide what you are comfortable with and what works for you. I think realistically if you travel at speed (+130 kph) with your average helmet you are looking at around the 115db of wind noise and other you are subjected to.

Different countries have different ways of measuring the noise reduction values of hearing protection. NRR is used in America, SLC80 in Australia - all different ways of averaging results obtained or limiting the frequency ranges used etc.

If i do a full multi day tour i find it beneficial to use the best possible foam earplug (SLC80 rating of 33db) to reduce noise as much as possible to reduce fatique. Foam earplugs that expand (if put in correctly) normally have excellent results.
Attached Images

Marko G., Terrys409 and nigelrb like this.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirefriar View Post
. . . I buy my ear plugs at a local gun store, the same used for the range. They seem to do the job just fine.
Sorry, Tires, I just had to laugh at this.

I was trying to imagine a local 'Guns 'R' Us' on an English shopping strip, tables out front with grannies sipping tea and biting scones with pinkies extended, whilst their hubbies are inside choosing plugs to deaden the sound of their Honda C90 or 1952 BSA Bantam with sidecar
Tirefriar and Brutale800RR like this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Sorry, Tires, I just had to laugh at this.

I was trying to imagine a local 'Guns 'R' Us' on an English shopping strip, tables out front with grannies sipping tea and biting scones with pinkies extended, whilst their hubbies are inside choosing plugs to deaden the sound of their Honda C90 or 1952 BSA Bantam with sidecar
Nigel, I wish it was that quaint but itís not. However you are correct - the store I go to is in a strip shopping mall but you canít get a decent cuppa there 🙃. There are different grades of earplugs, canít remember which ones I got but they do a decent job.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

AntonioMartha;
We have a Gear and Equipment Section where you should have asked this

I use Howard Leight Max ear plugs they're 33NRR
Check with an industrial supply buy the biggest box available, they're packed in pairs.......split the box with your friends
I got mine at Chevron Refinery Trap range for the last 30 years .....they're free
Teeps likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:51 AM

New Site Garage
Oh boy..."Initial running in, of new engine" flashbacks.

Wear earplugs all the time, every time.
You wanna keep your hearing, you dont wanna hear an annoying ring rest of your life.
*Imagine you riding slowish roads, for whatever reason you need to go back home as fast as possible so you take highway...30-60 minute exposure to such volume...not great.

As for earplugs brand I cannot help you.
I took a pair of earplugs from a loud kitchen back at work few years ago. Those people stood next to a washing machine, big as a living room and loud AF for many hours a day.
They do the job.
Look like this but blue(if color indicates a different volume or material):
Attached Images

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Back to serious mode, I have had tinnitus for a few years now. Bastard of an intrusion. Not saying it was caused by motorcycling because back in the 70s we attended noise-deafening concerts; worked in industry with no hearing protection; bandied about chainsaws and all manner of power tools; etc, etc. There were no warnings at all about potential hearing loss. With tinnitus, once you have it, it's there for life. Still, I am not sure if there is definitive research that points to its cause, but the use or any ear protection must now be considered essential. (Not preaching here, just my case in point)

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode