post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAROY View Post
JDS

You mean you dont use the "Advanced Search" to find your password

how you doing fella, haven't had a message from you in a while, thats me fully retired now, you need to get back to this forum, I get called YOUNG here, aswell as a pile of other things
Have been away this weekend to Imola for the WSBK with some mates. Only got back last night and am completely shagged out. Have to drop off one of my mates at Heathrow this morning, as he's flying back to Washington DC, but not before a proper Full English breakfast in town.

It's good to hear from you and glad you made it over the finishing line to retirement. I'm still at the coal face and elbow deep in the rat race, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully all being well, me and the Mrs will retire in April 2021.

Wish me luck.

Look after yourself and enjoy your new MV toy.

nigelrb and SAROY like this.

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 AM
Established Member

Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Have been away this weekend to Imola for the WSBK with some mates. Only got back last night and am completely shagged out. Have to drop off one of my mates at Heathrow this morning, as he's flying back to Washington DC, but not before a proper Full English breakfast in town.

It's good to hear from you and glad you made it over the finishing line to retirement. I'm still at the coal face and elbow deep in the rat race, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully all being well, me and the Mrs will retire in April 2021.

Wish me luck.

Look after yourself and enjoy your new MV toy.

fingers crossed for 2021; retirement is a total different ball game, you wish you done it many years earlier.

Thats a full 2 years retired now, retired at 52, every day can be a bike day and always plenty to fill each day, it was a tough fight as you know from private emails, but all eventually turned good.
Hope you have some good pics from the WSBK

Presently looking for an F4 to join collection, ideally a F4 1078
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
fingers crossed for 2021; retirement is a total different ball game, you wish you done it many years earlier.

Thats a full 2 years retired now, retired at 52 . . .
Two years for me also.

It is a different ball game, but for me was difficult to adjust to. I think we all look forward to retirement and the free time it gives us, when when the crunch comes, the adjustment (to me) was/is difficult. We lose that weekly routine and the social interaction of employment and for a time feel at loose ends. Sure, there are many things to keep us occupied, but for those without passionate interests, I think they would face a very difficult transition. Whilst not the most pleasant of topics, stats support a high amount of heart attacks and like medical problems immediately post retirement.

So, @SAROY , I guess we walk a similar path - as is John, the original poster - collecting a few bikes and enjoying every minute they bring us.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 AM
Established Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Two years for me also.

It is a different ball game, but for me was difficult to adjust to. I think we all look forward to retirement and the free time it gives us, when when the crunch comes, the adjustment (to me) was/is difficult. We lose that weekly routine and the social interaction of employment and for a time feel at loose ends. Sure, there are many things to keep us occupied, but for those without passionate interests, I think they would face a very difficult transition. Whilst not the most pleasant of topics, stats support a high amount of heart attacks and like medical problems immediately post retirement.

So, @SAROY , I guess we walk a similar path - as is John, the original poster - collecting a few bikes and enjoying every minute they bring us.
Nigel
The difference for me was that I was already semi retired for past 30 years, I was lucky that I was in a job that gave me 30 weeks fully paid holidays every year (Salary based) due to this I was kind of adjusted to a lot of free time.
Joining a gym and having a daily routine is often essential for first few years

I guess some join a forum like this and it becomes part of life for some, everyone is different

post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
It's 3 years for me now. Retired that is, I wish I'd done it sooner too, but finances of course come into play and money has been tight for the first few years but another small pension pot came to fruition recently so thats eased things somewhat. Not that we were living in a wooden hut and eating gruel before. Lol But we can afford the odd tin of beans now.
SAROY likes this.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:55 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
It's 3 years for me now. Retired that is, I wish I'd done it sooner too, but finances of course come into play and money has been tight for the first few years but another small pension pot came to fruition recently so thats eased things somewhat. Not that we were living in a wooden hut and eating gruel before. Lol But we can afford the odd tin of beans now.

For any UK forum members here, I would highly recommend paying into your pension AVC's if spare cash, if you are on 40% tax, for every £600 you pay in, the government also pays in £400, so your £600 payment grows to £1000.
If you pay in £6000 of your yearly bonus, that is £10k straight into your AVC's of which you can cash in the full amount when you reach age of 55
its a no brainer if you have spare cash, get paying into your AVC's guys.
nigelrb likes this.

post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
. . . Lol But we can afford the odd tin of beans now.
. . . and a swanky new garage
john likes this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Established Member

Quote:
For any UK forum members here, I would highly recommend paying into your pension AVC's if spare cash, if you are on 40% tax, for every £600 you pay in, the government also pays in £400, so your £600 payment grows to £1000.
If you pay in £6000 of your yearly bonus, that is £10k straight into your AVC's of which you can cash in the full amount when you reach age of 55
its a no brainer if you have spare cash, get paying into your AVC's guys.
I have reservations about this. I guess it depends how close you are to retiring and therefore being able to draw out your tax free lump sum. For me, it's another 25 years with our constantly slipping retirement age. So it may be worth more, but that's relative, because for what could be bought for 6k today what will that be worth in 25 years?

So if you bought an apartment for £60k, what would it be worth in 25 years time? I'm damn sure it would be worth more than £100k judging by the last 25 years growth!! 40% growth over 25 years, with inflation detracting further from that, looks less appealing, and that's before the government come out with some newfangled policy madness that screws another generation, 25 years is a lot of time for politicians to screw stuff up. I think I'd rather have one in the hand and all that.

Now if I was 10 years away, it would be a lot more appealing but with new changes, it's not like you can stuff a load away as you near retirement courtesy of the new annual limits introduced. Basically you're shafted every which way. I'd gladly hear a good argument to the contrary, if I was ten years away, I'd be pumping money in, but 25 years carries too much uncertainty with it, I'd rather be in a position to help my kids get on the property ladder etc with any spare cash, particularly as a PET wouldn't be subject to IHT/Income tax at the end of the day. Not that I'm particularly in a position to do anything of significance with either so I'll just keep frittering the small stuff on bikes which may or may not appreciate hell of a lot more fun than having investment bankers (investments can go up as well as down, cough 2008) lose all your savings for you!

Cheers
Nito
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
I have reservations about this. I guess it depends how close you are to retiring and therefore being able to draw out your tax free lump sum. For me, it's another 25 years with our constantly slipping retirement age. So it may be worth more, but that's relative, because for what could be bought for 6k today what will that be worth in 25 years?

So if you bought an apartment for £60k, what would it be worth in 25 years time? I'm damn sure it would be worth more than £100k judging by the last 25 years growth!! 40% growth over 25 years, with inflation detracting further from that, looks less appealing, and that's before the government come out with some newfangled policy madness that screws another generation, 25 years is a lot of time for politicians to screw stuff up. I think I'd rather have one in the hand and all that.

Now if I was 10 years away, it would be a lot more appealing but with new changes, it's not like you can stuff a load away as you near retirement courtesy of the new annual limits introduced. Basically you're shafted every which way. I'd gladly hear a good argument to the contrary, if I was ten years away, I'd be pumping money in, but 25 years carries too much uncertainty with it, I'd rather be in a position to help my kids get on the property ladder etc with any spare cash, particularly as a PET wouldn't be subject to IHT/Income tax at the end of the day. Not that I'm particularly in a position to do anything of significance with either so I'll just keep frittering the small stuff on bikes which may or may not appreciate hell of a lot more fun than having investment bankers (investments can go up as well as down, cough 2008) lose all your savings for you!

Cheers
Nito
AVC's are for private pensions only and earliest retirement - 55years
not sure about homes down south but my large home has stayed dormant for past 12 years, hasnt gone up, hasnt gone down
What I do know, is that in June this year I will collect a large amount due to sticking some cash away each month and some of my bonus each year.

It worked for me, and is open to everyone with a private pension, same as every individuals choice whether to take advantage or not, if £600 a month is giving me £1000, I grabbed the chance.
john likes this.

post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:02 AM
Established Member

Thanks Saroy,

I didn't realise this related to private pensions (we have the NEST one here at work and no offer of a private one) or that you could take the lump sum at 55 regardless of if you keep working or not. In that case it's worth me looking into as I'll be 55 in 12 years time so taking a 25% tax free lump then would be great.

I'll seriously look into this. Age 68 seems too far away but 55 is a lot closer on the horizon!

Cheers
Nito

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode