The Unrideables......an era not familiar to the young bucks - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

The Unrideables......an era not familiar to the young bucks

If anybody thinks they are good rider on today's modern bikes, then i suggest you watch the vids in the links. While hard to believe motorcycles back in the day were what many consider 'real' power monsters, and not the point and shoot bikes of today. This was back from when men were real men and had brass balls the size the moon. If they swung them the wrong way to fast they could slow the earth's rotation and cause tides to reverse.
These machines were such a hand full that they would flick you off the seat just for looking at them funny, and spit in your face just because they felt like it. So hard to manage that a rider's career was measured by the season and not years or decades as today.

Weighing in at merely 250-275lbs. with a 500cc two stroke motor pushing 150-170whp all within a 3k-3.5k power band. The only traction control in sight was the right hand and their best tires back then don't even compare to the crappiest tires made today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SOJphGUUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVJ0vBRz3TI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 AM

New Site Garage
Great videos! Thanks for posting.

I did not get into motorcycling until later in life, so I missed this period of racing. I've only heard things about it and seen clips here and there. So, it was nice to see this summary of that time.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Established Member

Good old days when you were watching to see who highsided next. Curious to see how today's racers would fare on the 500cc two stroke beasts of the Mick Doohan era!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 AM

New Site Garage
Awesome awesome awesome

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM

What's the difference between those tires and a hockey puck? The puck is softer.

Rider: Is my front suspension working OK?

Mechanic: Do the forks move up and down?

Rider: Yes

Mechanic: Is oil squirting out of the seals?

Rider: No

Mechanic: You're fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
If anybody thinks they are good rider on today's modern bikes, then i suggest you watch the vids in the links. While hard to believe motorcycles back in the day were what many consider 'real' power monsters, and not the point and shoot bikes of today. This was back from when men were real men and had brass balls the size the moon. If they swung them the wrong way to fast they could slow the earth's rotation and cause tides to reverse.
These machines were such a hand full that they would flick you off the seat just for looking at them funny, and spit in your face just because they felt like it. So hard to manage that a rider's career was measured by the season and not years or decades as today.

Weighing in at merely 250-275lbs. with a 500cc two stroke motor pushing 150-170whp all within a 3k-3.5k power band. The only traction control in sight was the right hand and their best tires back then don't even compare to the crappiest tires made today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SOJphGUUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVJ0vBRz3TI

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee View Post
What's the difference between those tires and a hockey puck? The puck is softer.

Rider: Is my front suspension working OK?

Mechanic: Do the forks move up and down?

Rider: Yes

Mechanic: Is oil squirting out of the seals?

Rider: No

Mechanic: You're fine

Hahahaha

I guess you could say their approach to racing was a bit more 'raw' than what is done today.

Was thinking that a lot of times folks will look back on days gone by with fond memories of a time that wasn't all that great. A rose colored lens perspective if you will. And i suppose there is a bit of that in the 500cc racing era, but there is just no denying the monster of a man/woman one had to be to be able to scoot those machines around a track at any respectable speed.

Oh, and if you happened to be one of the unfortunate ones that had a get off at speed, your only hope for survival was praying to whatever god you had to. And if you where atheist you probably were praying to all of them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Hello all, I remember the ...Golden era ... as if was yesterday and there are a few misconceptions.
The biggest is rating Mick Doohan as a GOAT.
I have no personal dislikes for Doohan, its just many overrate him because he won 5 titles. Doohan consistently finished in 5th place behind Rainey,Gardner, Schwantz, and Lawson for YEARS . Doohan did not have the speed nor the consistency to run with the Fab 4 . Doohan won his 5 titles only after , Rainey,lawson ,Gardner and Schwantz retired .Schwantz Suzuki was under powered for his whole Motogp career. The Suzuki RGV500 trap speeds where always down roughly 10-12mph(that's ALOT) and he still won many races and a championship.
On the flip side ...Wayne Gardner .... is now Underrated . Gardner had more raw speed than Rainey, Lawson, Doohan and maybe even Schwantz . ( hard to tell when Schwantz was always riding all out to make up for the Suzuki rgz500 lack of HP) Gardners career ended due to a practice crash shattered his lower leg/ankle and foot.

It is nice to see members of this site recognizing that 185mph on JC Whitney tires takes as much skill as the riders of today going 215/220mph using tires that are light years ahead of what was used in 1980s/1990s
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM

this is awesome. im no where near the age to remember this but to ride on old technology that fast that takes courage. Thanks John for sharing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake318 View Post
Hello all, I remember the ...Golden era ... as if was yesterday and there are a few misconceptions.
The biggest is rating Mick Doohan as a GOAT.
I have no personal dislikes for Doohan, its just many overrate him because he won 5 titles. Doohan consistently finished in 5th place behind Rainey,Gardner, Schwantz, and Lawson for YEARS . Doohan did not have the speed nor the consistency to run with the Fab 4 . Doohan won his 5 titles only after , Rainey,lawson ,Gardner and Schwantz retired .Schwantz Suzuki was under powered for his whole Motogp career. The Suzuki RGV500 trap speeds where always down roughly 10-12mph(that's ALOT) and he still won many races and a championship.
On the flip side ...Wayne Gardner .... is now Underrated . Gardner had more raw speed than Rainey, Lawson, Doohan and maybe even Schwantz . ( hard to tell when Schwantz was always riding all out to make up for the Suzuki rgz500 lack of HP) Gardners career ended due to a practice crash shattered his lower leg/ankle and foot.

It is nice to see members of this site recognizing that 185mph on JC Whitney tires takes as much skill as the riders of today going 215/220mph using tires that are light years ahead of what was used in 1980s/1990s
Doohan consistently finished fifth for YEARS?
Attached Images

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

How bout that......thought the thread had died.

Lets not get riled up over semantics here and start a pissing match with each other. You folks may both be right. MD may not have been 5th every year but he still didn't hit his stride until the old boys had been ushered out.

While its impossible to compare the era's to each other its still neat to look back at what it took to get such a machine around a track at speed and still bring it home in one piece.
Matter of fact i was watching the GP racing this past weekend and thinking boy those guys sure to have it easy compared to the v4 age. Would like to see the traction control come back off those bikes and see the best riders rise to the top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode