Report from Sepang: RIP EBR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Report from Sepang: RIP EBR

Here's an an MVAgusta.net exclusive, kids.

Only one EBR made a showing in Qualifier 4 and that in 25th place, nearly 7 seconds off the pace. That time is so dismal it would only be good enough for 20th place in Super Sport.

Almost time to add another marque to that long list of defunct motorcycle makers. Buy your EBR t-shirts while you can...

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
But Cluzel grabbed pole on the MV F3 in Supersport, let's hope he has a cracker of a race!

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Emcee, me thinks your pronouncements of the death of EBR are a bit premature. They are not racing to win this year and have said so publicly. This is all about development and research.

That said, the MV 675 is going well.....wish the liter bike was as competitive.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
But Cluzel grabbed pole on the MV F3 in Supersport, let's hope he has a cracker of a race!
I was just about to start a new thread too
http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2014...+Pole+Position

2015 MV Agusta F3 675
2008 Husqvarna SM610ie
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Emcee, me thinks your pronouncements of the death of EBR are a bit premature. They are not racing to win this year and have said so publicly. This is all about development and research.
Everybody says the same thing their first year of racing. To put it into perspective, answer me this... How far off the leaders was the ZX-10 in its first year? Its second? And the BMW S100RR? What kind of trap speeds was it posting in its first race? Lap times? The Aprilia V-4? Did they start from seven seconds down?

EBR had some success in the AMA and probably sold a few bikes because of it. Now this. This isn't development, this is toss everything away and start all over. Which isn't cheap. At all. Investors are good at numbers. You don't think they can see the handwriting on the wall?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM

New Site Garage
I don't think EBR has a hope with that bike, and honestly think MV should have a second rider on the 1000 if they want to be near successful, but I wish them all the best, WSBK racing needs them both.
You can't successfully develop a bike at this level with one rider, a good is example is the difference in speed between Cluzel and Leonov at the moment on the 675.
As for the ZX10 and the BMW, they took years to get to the front, and big money.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
I don't think EBR has a hope with that bike, and honestly think MV should have a second rider on the 1000 if they want to be near successful, but I wish them all the best, WSBK racing needs them both.
You can't successfully develop a bike at this level with one rider, a good is example is the difference in speed between Cluzel and Leonov at the moment on the 675.
As for the ZX10 and the BMW, they took years to get to the front, and big money.

Yes, the current EBR is done. And given how slow this one is, there's no reason to think they got the resources to turn the next one into a winner, either. Nobody else will be standing still waiting for them to catch up. Might be two generations before they notch consistent top-ten finishes. If they live that long...

MV's got a winner right off the bat with the triple; even the old four is turning in respectable times. If the $$$ fall in place, they have the talent necessary to build a competitive four as well.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post

That said, the MV 675 is going well.....wish the liter bike was as competitive.
The F4 won't competitive until they actually modernize it. The engine is too tall and the gearbox too low. The ergonomics are wrong and the mass isn't centralized enough.

It's time to shoot some sacred cows in the head and move on. I hope they don't let their legacy drag them under.

WMRRA #58
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to djt77
Was going to start a new thread but, I was there over the weekend and have posted up some pics in the Gallery for those interested. Couple of things, the F3 is going very well, the F4 blew up and caused a race stoppage, it won't be winning any races thats for sure.

The EBR, IMO isn't suited to the track, the ideas it uses work fine in the real world where we aren't chasing times going round in circles, but it's still a good bike and goes well, just not at the very top of the game. I wish them all the success in the future but I see it being a very long and hard road for them.

It was quite a strange race as nothing could get near the Aprilia, not even the ZX10 in the races.

I've taken quite an interest in the new BB3, because I have a Bimota and as this time last year I was in the factory seeing the prototype frame being made, in my opinion these guys are doing an amazing job, winning the evo class already on a bike that a year ago didn't exist.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt77 View Post
I've taken quite an interest in the new BB3, because I have a Bimota and as this time last year I was in the factory seeing the prototype frame being made, in my opinion these guys are doing an amazing job, winning the evo class already on a bike that a year ago didn't exist.
There you have it in a nutshell. Two new entrants to WSBK this year.

On one hand you've got a guy who for decades headed up an entire division of one of the most profitable motorcycle manufacturing firms in the world, designed dozens of different bikes, campaigned those bikes for years in the AMA and has been called "genius," an "innovator" and "a legend" more times than any of us can count.

And on the other hand, you've got a couple of Gucci-loafered bean-counters who made their money in real-estate and construction. They've never built a motorcycle before and weren't even involved with the industry until last September.

And which one is getting the results?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode