Interview with Giovanni Castiglioni - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Interview with Giovanni Castiglioni

Hi everybody. I was really impressed by this interview in the Italian magazine 'MotoSprint' of this March, so I translated most of it into English for all to enjoy. Really inspiring to read that this wonderful company is being run with a mixture of passion and business savvy, probably unique in the motorcycle biz.

'MV Agusta; Dreams of Glory'

Giovanni Castiglioni; I watched the Philip Island race with my wife and some friends. It was fantastic. Like going back in time, to the nineties, when I used to watch Cagiva racing with my father. Very emotional.
Ö
Interviewer; Now that you are directly involved in racing, have your duties at the company changed?
GV; Well, to tell the truth, not much. The amount of stress has increased. And the fact that before I worked from Monday to Friday, whereas now I work from Monday to Monday.

Interviewer; but do you delegate some of the work or do you enjoy playing an active role in the racing department?
GV; Iím in charge of all our products as well as racing, but I have a team made up of excellent personnel like Brian Gillen, the man responsible for our racing project, who I talk to every day. Going racing is a commitment that has now become more important to our company, but MV makes motorcycles which must be sold.

Interviewer; Speaking of which, exactly one year ago you refused to re-open the works racing department at MV because it would have taken away engineers from their main work on road bikes. Have you changed your mind?
GV; Absolutely not. Let me reiterate. MV must produce motorcycles. And it is well known that engineers love racing more than production. In fact, every so often I go down to the racing department to give everyone a good telling-off, because I often find three test benches being used to test racing bits, when they should be being used for production.

Interviewer; So what has changed since last year? What makes a racing department ok, and last year no?
GV; Letís just say that itís the right moment to dedicate more resources towards racing.

Interviewer; In what sense?
GV; At the Milan show we launched the Turismo Veloce, which brought us outside the purely sports bikes and nakeds that we have been producing for years. Last year was spent working hard on this project, so we didnít have any other resources available.

Interviewer; Does this mean that at the next Milan show there will be the new F4? Youíve said several times that your involvement in this yearís Superbike will serve to develop the 2015 version of the bike.
GV; I canít reveal our production plans, but I will say that in 2015 there wonít be a new F4. We can speak about this in 2016. But you will see something interesting at the Milan show, something sporty.

Interviewer; So a special version of the F4Ömaybe called ĎSuperbikeí?
GV; Something youíll find interestingÖ Certainly our work in racing is also being used to develop of the new F4.
Ö..

Interviewer; So this is also one of the reasons for your official return to racing?
GV; Racing is in our DNA and in that of my family, but maybe Iíve allowed myself to get a little carried away.

Interviewer; Why?
GV; Because the more you race the more you want to do itÖAnd starting the year with a victory has made us even more excited...

Interviewer; In fact, the guys in the racing department are working like crazy on the F4 Superbike.
GV; Our guys in the racing department are doing an incredible job. They never stopÖBut, I repeat, we are staying very concentrated on our products, which are what allows our company to carry on.
Ö.
Interviewer; With the crisis, the bigger businesses are having a lot of trouble. Is it possible that itís actually easier for small to medium sized businesses like MV Agusta?
GV; Ours is a company which is nimble, able to adjust quickly, and this is something which has helped us, because we are not tied to the strategies of the big manufacturers, the ones that produce 40,000 motorcycles a year. But itís also true that everything that is necessary for letís say BMW to produce a bike, is also necessary for us.

Interviewer; Speaking of which, if a large manufacturer wanted to buy the company, like Audi did with Ducati, how would MV react?
GV; No, Iím not selling the company. I wonít deny being open to a partnership, but in any case I would always have to be the one in charge, as a family, I mean. Itís not a question of money, but passion and pride.
[Italian media reports that MV is currently in talks with Fiat]

Interviewer; What does MV still need to improve?
GV; We need a more extended dealer network, because having more dealerships means selling more motorcycles.
Ö.
[Being the owner of a Cagiva Mito, I found the following heartening]
Interviewer; When you enter the building, thereís a sign with the logos of MV and Cagiva. The former is now been well launched on the market. And the latter?
GV; Cagiva, to use the jargon, is a Ďsleeping brandíÖI canít deny that itís my great dream to re-launch it. I have a few ideas, but first I want to complete the plans which I set for myself with MV Agusta; then, if conditions are right, Iíll take on Cagiva again.

Interviewer; Cagiva is also a part of you, seeing as that the brand means Castiglioni Giovanni Varese; Giovanni was the name of your grandfather.
GV; Itís true. But first I want to reach the goals I set for MV Agusta. Also in racing.

Interviewer; In other words?
GV; Winning. In Supersport Iím sure that a top three finish is within our reach. But I wonít deny that weíre also thinking about the world title. But for Superbike, weíll have to wait for next year. For us, 2014 will be a year of development, a bit like it was in Supersport last year. Give us time, we only fired up the F4 Superbike for the first time last 22 November, which was my dadís birthday, and I think it will bring us good luck. We want to show up at the first race of next year with a competitive package. This is what weíre working towards.

That's it. In the future I can pass along more info from Italian media, if you guys are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM

New Site Garage
Thsnks for the translation seems like everything is going to plan. Csnt wait for 2016

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks for that. He seems to have his feet on the ground, whilst retaining the passion for his heritage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Thanks very much for doing that.
Yes, please continue with more translated articles.

Welcome to the forum,
Dave.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up! Thanks.

2013 MV Agusta F3
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Fantastic work, thank you.

Also welcome to the forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM

New Site Garage
Again. Thank you very much and I would love for you to post more interviews in the future.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Ok, guys, will be posting more stuff for sure than.

Thanks for the welcomes, too. Have been enjoying reading this forum for a while, you guys seem like a bunch of characters - mean that in a good way

As I am not yet a fellow lucky MV owner, this will be my way of contributing...for now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Welcome to the forum! Great first post and please post more in the future. In regards to something sporty in Milan please let it be an F3 675R with some trick bits!

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 06:37 PM

New Site Garage
Thanks for posting this Red. Welcome!

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode