british superstock, silverstone - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
X81

Thumbs up british superstock, silverstone

hey,

just a quick note about out race this weekend at silverstone.

after a bad start to the weekend with suspension gremlins both riders managed to find some space and get decent qualifying times in, not as high as the last round but still around the top ten.

martin qualified 8th and howie 11th which for some reason was improved to 10th when a rider was removed from the meeting .

Martin once again didn't get the best of starts and dropped to 15th on lap one but started fighting back, howie meanwhile got an ok start and managed to keep in the leading pack and held onto 7th. having made a few suspension changes before the race howie was looking smoother and more comfortable than he had all weekend and was clearly faster around one section of the track than 6th and 5th place but with 5th place riding very defensively and little room to make a pass howie had to make the sensible choice of gaining the points and not risking a crash.

And it was crashes that put a somewhat anticlimax feeling to the whole weekend, with the race reduced to 15 laps due to a big blow up in the superbike race and oil on turn 1 it wasn't long before there was a massive crash at the chicane before the start finish straight that martin only just avoided being involved in and the pace car was out for 3 laps. As the pace car came in and things started getting back up to pace there was yet again another heavy looking crash which this time got the race red flagged and finally declared at 2/3rds distance. a very dissapointing result in the end, with only 7 laps actually held under race pace and 3 laps under pace car this meant that 2/3rds distanced was achived and so the race was declared. Howie came in 7th and martin 13th. the astonishing part of the day was that howie managed to lap nearly 1/2 sec faster in the race than his qualifying time and smashed his previous best lap by over 2 secs and martin yet again improved his times by nearly 2 secs from the previous year and both riders commented that there is still more to be found from this bike.

we are now 7th and 13th in the overall championship standings as well and closing the gap.

the new 312 rocks and it's only going to get better as we develop it further.

cheers

chris
X-bikes MV Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the write up, good to hear things are starting to come together and a good result for Howie under the circumstances...all the best for the next round.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 PM

What is it with MV and bad luck in racing this year? Sheesh, you guys have some bad luck as well...

Thanks for the writeup, this is the kind of thing I'm interested in, much more so than the same old stuff we get from the news outlets.

'01 F4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl
What is it with MV and bad luck in racing this year? Sheesh, you guys have some bad luck as well...

Thanks for the writeup, this is the kind of thing I'm interested in, much more so than the same old stuff we get from the news outlets.
it's not bad luck as such, it's just racing, some days everything goes great and others it all goes to shit, on that day it kind of went half and half

back at oulten park this weekend for round 4, looking forward to this race and will do my best to get the riders to bring home a podium result for MV Agusta.

if admin could send me some stickers *hint hint* then they may well be the first ever MV Agusta.net stickers on a podium finishing bike in national british racing
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 AM

I don't know... It's been so bad for Ferracci that it's hard to believe that it's just "racing". And look at poor old Badovini! That guy can't catch a break to save his life! Taken out in the first 2 races, then crashes fighting his way back from a bad start.

I haven't followed your team's entire year up until now, but I'm sort of afraid to check

'01 F4S
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Established Member

Andy (and anyone else), here's the link the the main results data for the series.

http://www.msttiming.com/bsb/2007/bsb.asp?season=2007

If you're interested and have the time, you can get all of the practice/qualifying/race results/lap charts/sector times/speed traps - the amount of info is staggering!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks Ralph!

This may force me to become a BSB statistician, which means I'm about to make everyone puke with my racing posts

Holy cow, 38 Superstock riders within 7 seconds? The AMA had 21 within 8 seconds at CA Speedway last weekend.

But anyway, I've had lots of ideas on collecting stats and making a picture with them, and I've had this idea for a long time. I did a very big statistics project in school related to Formula 1, and I didn't have anywhere near this amount of data (this was before data was available on the internet).

X81 - Question if I may - Do you guys just look at this data or do you process it in some way? Or maybe you buy the services of someone else to process it? Mostly I'm just wondering what is done with this data and if there is an industry behind it. My dream would be to be a data guy for a team.

I'm so done with fixing goddamn computers... But it pays well so I'll probably be doing it the rest of my life

Next time I'm in the UK, and if I can convince my wife to go, I'll try to make a BSB race and meet you guys.

'01 F4S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
Thanks Ralph!

This may force me to become a BSB statistician, which means I'm about to make everyone puke with my racing posts

Holy cow, 38 Superstock riders within 7 seconds? The AMA had 21 within 8 seconds at CA Speedway last weekend.

But anyway, I've had lots of ideas on collecting stats and making a picture with them, and I've had this idea for a long time. I did a very big statistics project in school related to Formula 1, and I didn't have anywhere near this amount of data (this was before data was available on the internet).

X81 - Question if I may - Do you guys just look at this data or do you process it in some way? Or maybe you buy the services of someone else to process it? Mostly I'm just wondering what is done with this data and if there is an industry behind it. My dream would be to be a data guy for a team.

I'm so done with fixing goddamn computers... But it pays well so I'll probably be doing it the rest of my life

Next time I'm in the UK, and if I can convince my wife to go, I'll try to make a BSB race and meet you guys.
our class is close isn't it you'll see that my bikes are within a second or just over a second of pole yet we're just scrapping inside the top ten in qualifying, superstocks this year has never been so competitive, but we're holding our own and constantly making improvements for the future.

processing data- hmmmmm not sure what you mean, we check sector times aswell as speed traps then talk to the riders and get their input before making gearing or suspension changes. But we do also know the bikes strong points and weak points when it comes to certain track layouts and can usually see that in the sector times. we also check for how consistant the riders lap times are and what they were doing when they set their best time. Most of it we do automatically without really having a set process as such.

be good to have you as a guest at BSB this year. you pay your plain ticket and i'll pay the entrance ticket to the track

maybe email some of your ideas about data use, i may be missing something obvious here, as they say "every days a school day"

cheers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM

I didn't really have any idea in mind about processing the data, I haven't been able to come to solid conclusions yet with the very little work I've done so far. I was just wondering if anyone out there has made connections with it that would be useful to a team and it's riders. I would absolutely love to work in this area.

What you are saying I think is what most people do with the data. For instance, at the AMA race, I was watching the splits and finding out which one our rider was struggling in, and then comparing him to the faster riders. Which is what I think probably everyone does. Then you listen to him and make decisions on what to do. Simple, easy, makes sense.

It would be really, really great to make a connection with the data where you can separate the bike from the rider. I think to a certain extent this can be done, but it would be some fuzzy logic which would be very much dependent on interpretation of astute people on the team. There are some very easy connections that can be made, such as both riders doing the same times, or doing vastly different times, and things like this, but it would be really nice to say that the rider or riders aren't getting the job done but the bike is, or vice versa. That'll be the day!

Ideally, I would like to be able to narrow the data to imply that it's a corner entry, or exit, or something like that. But I think more data would have to be gathered in order to do that. More than I think most tracks or organizations would be willing to do in the short term.

I warned you that I'm going to start making people sick...

'01 F4S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
X81

Quote:
....... but it would be really nice to say that the rider or riders aren't getting the job done but the bike is, or vice versa. That'll be the day!

Ideally, I would like to be able to narrow the data to imply that it's a corner entry, or exit, or something like that. But I think more data would have to be gathered in order to do that. More than I think most tracks or organizations would be willing to do in the short term.

I warned you that I'm going to start making people sick...
aha we already such a device, although i can't use it superstocks, it's called datalogging. with this you can tell exactly what is happenig at any given point on the track and whether the riders just simply isn't opening the throttle enough (actually seen a rider argue with a datalogging guy about how fast he thought he was going, the log showed he was at 47% throttle down the straight, data logging guy says "twist it harder and it goes faster", rider simply wouldn'tr be told that he was not riding fast enough)

basically the data logger never lies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode