MV Agusta Forum banner

MotoGP UK coverage

5K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  francis04 
#1 ·
So BT have announced who they're having to present coverage for the forthcoming season, for those outside the UK British Telecom bought the rights to MotoGP and so this season it will be on a subscription based service for the first time which has angered fans some what.

Melanie Sykes, Neil Hodgson and James Toseland in the studio on race day, race commentary from Julian Ryder, Keith Huewen and Matt Birt and Gavin Emmett will act as BTSports MotoGP reporter.

A picture released of the presenters also showed Craig Doyle and Ewan Thomas, but i've no idea what their doing?

Thoughts on the above line up?

I don't really have much of an opinion as i'm not prepared to pay the subscription to the channel just for MotoGP and i'm not interested in Rugby, Tennis or the odd premier league footy match, which seems to be about the only other thing they show. But i'm not much of a fan of the whole studio presentation pre and post race, I usually skip through that junk?

I'll miss it on Eurosport thats for sure, really liked the coverage of Ryder, Moody and Spalding on there :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Sykes nice eye candy, Hodgson and Doyle have seemed OK as "pundits" on other channels, not sure about Huewen, but I'm afraid I find Moodie & Ryder boring ...... the kind of person(s) Clarkson would adopt his nasal tone to impersonate .....

I know many disagree, but i actually enjoyed Stavros & Cox - Cox being very much the "Murray Walker" to Stavros' Hunt part ......

Doyle & Thomas are supposed to be doing a mid-week chat & behind the scenes type show, I beleive?

#3 ·
All I remember Huewen doing when he commented on WSBK on SKY was shouting "FOGGGYYYYY" every couple of minutes :laughing: Funnily enough I think his co-comentator back then was Ryder.
Hodson's been ok on WSBK as has Doyle on the TT, never heard of Matt Birt?

Stavros and Cox were great for someone who turned over and happened upon MotoGP having never seen it before, and I get that they had to do that but I found it all a bit repetitive, I don't need to be told every race that they don't have rider to pit (or ship to shore as Stavros liked to call it) radio contact. Eurosport was more for you race fan type audience rather than you BBC first time followers?

I hear Matt Roberts has gone to Eurosport to present their BSB and WSBK coverage which is good as I didn't think much of the guy they had before, Whitham's commentating is always legendary :laughing:

#4 ·
My two pence worth, Dorna have sold out, going subscription only will kill interest in the UK because with Sky, Virgin, ESPN and now BT are all looking for your cash the UK is saturated with pay to view. I for one am not going to pay and I suspect many others will make the same choice.

So I will be following WSB and WSS now on Eurosport.

As for the BT team, yee gods Huewen is annoying, the whole studio build up and wittering on afterwards is boring made even more so by the endless repeat repeat repeat.

If the MotoGP season builds into a great one which I doubt it will, I shall pop down my local bikers pub and watch it there over a pint or two on the 50inch plasma. BT are getting nowt from me.

jimboF4

#5 ·
I agree Jimbo, it would be interesting to see the viewing figures?

My mum will be pleased though, as a BT Broadband customer she currently gets it free so she'll see a lot more of her No.1 son this summer :laughing: although seeing as BT paid nigh on a billion for Champions League football rights from next year I can't see it being free for much longer?

There is one silver lining though, they have poached some of the most annoying people from the Beeb to present it, Jake Humphey and Clare Balding for starters so its not all bad :laughing:

#6 ·
For me it depends on how good the racing is gonna be.....my son in law has 'Virgin' and he'll record it for me.
I agree there's nothing else on that (BT sport) channel I'm interested in.,so I'm very reluctant to pay JUST for the motogp.
I have to admit I was never much 'into' Moody/Ryder and found their portrayals of supposed conversation 'scenario's that various riders 'might' be having while racing and especially Toby Moody's voice alternating from a 'soprano' to a 'growl' during his commentary really grating.
Not to mention the 'Ad breaks' mid race!!!!...........Each to their own I guess.
'Spalders' was great though!

Anyway the pre season 'Sepang' test looks very positive for Rossi...http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Yamaha+Complete+First+MotoGP+Test+of+2014
Brian.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I already have bt broadband although to view direct to tv had to take out a £5pm subscription. Only plus for me was that I told the wife I had subscribed so she can watch the odd man city game (big fan). So I get to watch gp and got brownie points to boot. Unfortunately not in high def though you need btfinity for that and being out in the sticks no chance. Its all wrong though under the illusion of choice. What choice!

#11 ·
I checked out my options today and I could switch all my services from virgin to BT to get BTSports for a little less than I'm paying now, sure there's less channels but it has all the ones I actually watch, it just depends on whether you actually get the net speed they advertise with BT Infinity? Either that or I could phone Virgin and tell them I'm leaving unless they give me BT sports :laughing: I'd like to watch motogp but I'm not paying more for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#12 ·
Guys,

If you know someone who is willing to add you on to their on the go accounts you can watch it for free.

My old man has virgin media and got BT sport for free. I am big sport fan and can stream all the skysports channels, eurosport, BT and ESPN for free. The only catch is to buy my Dad's beers when I go up and see him, very cheap as he is a 2 pint wonder.

There are plenty of people who don't utilise their on the go option. My dad struggles with a PC, so a tablet would terrify him.

#15 ·
Glad to be of service Ackers.

Joe, my old man has never been able to handle his drink.

I think I have my mothers genes with regards to alcohol.

#16 ·
UK MCN are reporting that BT and ITV are about to sign a deal for ITV to show MotoGP delayed coverage, this is good news as ITV is a free terrestrial broadcaster.

JIMBOf4

#22 ·
Yep the ITV4 coverage will suffice for me, not giving money to BT to squander on Premiership footballers. One disappointment though is it appears no Moto2 or 3 coverage, pity, because I would have liked to see how Sam Lowes goes in Moto2.

jimboF4

#23 ·
Watching today's 1st practice on BT Sports app (thanks mum) it is fun listening to their relaxed on/off subject commentary during practice and I do find Keith quite funny, Julians called him Toby twice already :laughing:

#27 ·
If every race this year is going to as good as the first one just was, it'll be worth a subscription.
Agreed. I paid for the WSBK Videopass but wanted to wait until we were a race or two into MotoGP to see if the racing was going to be better than the past few years. Honda still seems to have the top end power advantage, and I wonder how much Rossi's rear tire was fading in the last lap or two compared to Marquez'.

In light of how well a couple of the Open Class riders did in practice and qualifying, I'm surprised they didn't fair that well in the race. So much for Honda's whining.

#28 ·
#26 ·
Chris needs to put *SPOILER* in the title of this thread now.

#31 ·
In light of how well a couple of the Open Class riders did in practice and qualifying, I'm surprised they didn't fair that well in the race. So much for Honda's whining.
But the Open class bikes have the option of a softer tyre, which gives an advantage in qualifying. However, they then have little option but to go for the medium (which is the softest option available for the factory teams) during the race as the soft one isn't likely to last race distance.

So all it does really is shake up the grid placings a little. But I can image that if a factory bike qualifies first and then the rest of them have to try and get past a load of fast qualifying Open class bikes while the factory bike at the front clears off in the first few laps, then there's going to be a fair bit of moaning..

Si

#33 ·
Fook Me..

Fook Me... I've just seen the race on ITV4 catch up and it appears Rossi has got his Mojo back.. Mind you, Rossi always does well at the start of the season and hope he keeps it up..

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the action continues for the rest of the season..

Although the ITV4 coverage was someone disappointing compared to what BBC used to offer, at least we still get to watch the race season on TV and beggars can't be choosers .

By the way... Who came third ?....;)

I think Jorge's bike is going to need a bit of super glue and the odd plastic tip clip to get it track worthy before the next round..

Roll on Texas.

Attachments

#34 ·
A little "Glare" and she'll look like new!

#35 ·
Just watched the ITV4 coverage on my PVR and I thought it was
great , no nonsense , no interviews just highlights of all 3 races.
So why did the BBC not get it? Also almost nothing on BBC news
channel...bring on the next race all for free on ITV4.

I just spend my Sunday afternoons looking at this...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.