MotoGP UK coverage - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
MotoGP UK coverage

So BT have announced who they're having to present coverage for the forthcoming season, for those outside the UK British Telecom bought the rights to MotoGP and so this season it will be on a subscription based service for the first time which has angered fans some what.

Melanie Sykes, Neil Hodgson and James Toseland in the studio on race day, race commentary from Julian Ryder, Keith Huewen and Matt Birt and Gavin Emmett will act as BTSports MotoGP reporter.

A picture released of the presenters also showed Craig Doyle and Ewan Thomas, but i've no idea what their doing?

Thoughts on the above line up?

I don't really have much of an opinion as i'm not prepared to pay the subscription to the channel just for MotoGP and i'm not interested in Rugby, Tennis or the odd premier league footy match, which seems to be about the only other thing they show. But i'm not much of a fan of the whole studio presentation pre and post race, I usually skip through that junk?

I'll miss it on Eurosport thats for sure, really liked the coverage of Ryder, Moody and Spalding on there

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Sykes nice eye candy, Hodgson and Doyle have seemed OK as "pundits" on other channels, not sure about Huewen, but I'm afraid I find Moodie & Ryder boring ...... the kind of person(s) Clarkson would adopt his nasal tone to impersonate .....

I know many disagree, but i actually enjoyed Stavros & Cox - Cox being very much the "Murray Walker" to Stavros' Hunt part ......

Doyle & Thomas are supposed to be doing a mid-week chat & behind the scenes type show, I beleive?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
All I remember Huewen doing when he commented on WSBK on SKY was shouting "FOGGGYYYYY" every couple of minutes Funnily enough I think his co-comentator back then was Ryder.
Hodson's been ok on WSBK as has Doyle on the TT, never heard of Matt Birt?

Stavros and Cox were great for someone who turned over and happened upon MotoGP having never seen it before, and I get that they had to do that but I found it all a bit repetitive, I don't need to be told every race that they don't have rider to pit (or ship to shore as Stavros liked to call it) radio contact. Eurosport was more for you race fan type audience rather than you BBC first time followers?

I hear Matt Roberts has gone to Eurosport to present their BSB and WSBK coverage which is good as I didn't think much of the guy they had before, Whitham's commentating is always legendary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 AM

My two pence worth, Dorna have sold out, going subscription only will kill interest in the UK because with Sky, Virgin, ESPN and now BT are all looking for your cash the UK is saturated with pay to view. I for one am not going to pay and I suspect many others will make the same choice.

So I will be following WSB and WSS now on Eurosport.

As for the BT team, yee gods Huewen is annoying, the whole studio build up and wittering on afterwards is boring made even more so by the endless repeat repeat repeat.

If the MotoGP season builds into a great one which I doubt it will, I shall pop down my local bikers pub and watch it there over a pint or two on the 50inch plasma. BT are getting nowt from me.

jimboF4
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I agree Jimbo, it would be interesting to see the viewing figures?

My mum will be pleased though, as a BT Broadband customer she currently gets it free so she'll see a lot more of her No.1 son this summer although seeing as BT paid nigh on a billion for Champions League football rights from next year I can't see it being free for much longer?

There is one silver lining though, they have poached some of the most annoying people from the Beeb to present it, Jake Humphey and Clare Balding for starters so its not all bad

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM

For me it depends on how good the racing is gonna be.....my son in law has 'Virgin' and he'll record it for me.
I agree there's nothing else on that (BT sport) channel I'm interested in.,so I'm very reluctant to pay JUST for the motogp.
I have to admit I was never much 'into' Moody/Ryder and found their portrayals of supposed conversation 'scenario's that various riders 'might' be having while racing and especially Toby Moody's voice alternating from a 'soprano' to a 'growl' during his commentary really grating.
Not to mention the 'Ad breaks' mid race!!!!...........Each to their own I guess.
'Spalders' was great though!

Anyway the pre season 'Sepang' test looks very positive for Rossi...http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Y...P+Test+of+2014
Brian.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM

I think it stinks,whatever happened to monopolies commissions? aren't they supposed to allow other channels or broadcasters the right to show highlights?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I've found a more in depth interview regarding BT's planned coverage, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I think a lot of the presenter flack on social media comes from the fact BT have taken motogp from free to air and not necessarily at the presenter choice itself? I still won't be watching though.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial.../#.UwSoPHmyO3k

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Established Member

I already have bt broadband although to view direct to tv had to take out a £5pm subscription. Only plus for me was that I told the wife I had subscribed so she can watch the odd man city game (big fan). So I get to watch gp and got brownie points to boot. Unfortunately not in high def though you need btfinity for that and being out in the sticks no chance. Its all wrong though under the illusion of choice. What choice!

MV Augusta Brutale 1090RR
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Unhappy I think you guys know my feelings on this BT coup d'état of Moto GP..

I'd rather lick piss off a stinging nettle than watch boring stuuuuuttttterrrrring Toseland and Sykes on the TV waffling on for hours about endless drivel..

Sykes... Really... Come on BT, what was you think?

EMAIL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode