Ben Spies calls it quits. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Ben Spies calls it quits.

I had high hopes after his WSBK championship, but he never materialized in MotoGP unfortunately. Waiting patiently for the next great American rider.

Ben Spies announces retirement from racing http://flip.it/EITYo

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM

New Site Garage
That's a shame, really liked him, don't know what happened to his 2nd year in the factory Yamaha team, a complete flip on the year before?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
The guy was great to watch on AMA and WSBk.

I called it, he wasn't going to do much in MotoGP and was going to be in the 5-10 range along with Edwards and Hayden.

It would have been great to see him do well in WSBk. There is no shame in going from MotoGP to WSBk, Bayliss did it and he was awesome, and so did Biagi

Don't make excuses, Make it happen

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

That's a crying shame, I always liked Ben, well mannered, well spoken and a class act, win, lose or draw. Certainly a sponsor's dream to have a guy like fronting your product.

Daniel, I am not getting that he is going to WSBK from the article, my take is that the injuries are seeing him call it quits, period.

We really only saw the absolute best of Ben once in Moto GP - the day he won as Assen, he really did show what a talent he was - I was one of those hoping that win (and the way he rode to achieve it) would have catapulted him to consistently show that talent at the pointy end - sadly for us & the sport, it never happened.

I wish him all the very best for the future, "Class" will be the legacy he leaves behind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM

New Site Garage
Mat Mladin on Spies' Retirement From Racing
by dean adams
Monday, October 28, 2013
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.htm

Newly retired racer Ben Spies will be known for many things in his career: Spies won the WSBK world title in his first try, easily knocked back Rookie of the Year honors in Grand Prix and won a GP at one of the most historic tracks in the world--Assen.

That said, what Spies may well be most well known for is his intense rivalry with Australian Mat Mladin when the pair raced factory Suzuki Superbikes for Yoshimura here in the US. Spies and Mladin hated each other more than any two teammates since the era when Wayne Rainey and Fred Merkel barely tolerated each other in the mid-1980s on Team Honda.

So, what does Mladin think of Spies' early retirement? Judging by his response, Spies and Mladin won't be arranging a traveling pub show where they offer warm tributes, toasting the good old days.

Asked for comment on Spies retirement, Mladin responded with just two words: "F*#king pussy."

Mladin refused to be drawn out on the subject, saying "You got my quote."

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Classy Mat, real classy.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Hey Ian, Matt is from our neighbourhood down here, the same area that raised Wayne Gardner, Troy Corser and Peter Goddard.

We can't win them all - for all Matt's God given talent apart from in the US Super bikes he fell a long way short of what he should have achieved, most notably in Moto GP or the 500s as they were back then. He has never hidden from that fact that for him it was all about money..............shows.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Established Member

Absolute shame in my books, i was a big fan of Spies and his riding style was something of joy to watch. I'll miss elbows in GP next year more so than i did this year.

Mladin was always a wank
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Big Randaddy

Isn't Spies' momma a loon?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Isn't Spies' momma a loon?
I didn't think they were from Minnesota ....
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode