Greed Kills Moto GP at Laguna Seca - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Greed Kills Moto GP at Laguna Seca

Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway announced on Monday, September 30, that they are no longer on the Moto GP calendar. Indy and Austin remain, at least for 2014.

Reading between the lines, it's apparent that the organizers at Laguna Seca (a non-profit) could no longer grease the palms of the fat cats at Dorna. Like so many race sanctioning bodies past and present, it's not about doing the right thing, it's about who you know and who you blow. This is how things get done, especially in Europe.

What we've lost is a truly unique experience for racers and fans alike. The race itself was on one of the most revered tracks in the world. The Corkscrew is known by race fans everywhere. The atmosphere surrounding this race was electric. The scene along Cannery Row in Monterey every evening was like an international carnival. People from all over the world gathering to share in a common passion. The infield displays by all of the major manufacturers was amazing. The effort put forth by the organizers and the community at large was exceptional. Vets driving around the track all day in golf carts offering free rides to anyone who needed one.

I admit that I've not been to Indy or Austin, but I encourage anyone who has to compare their races to the above. My impression of Indy is a flat track run on a featureless landscape. I've heard that the Circuit of the Americas is a pretty nice track, but there is little to no infrastructure in place. Although it may look like it, I'm not dissing on these races; I just want to know what they have to offer that might compel me to go.

More than anything, I'm pissed at Dorna. Before some of you vultures here jump on me about my comments Re sanctioning bodies and European sop's, I'll offer you some examples:

Youth stream: this is the group that runs World Championship Motocross. The Italian fat cat that runs this (Luongo)has changed the rules and regulations so much and so often that their premier class (MX1) now can only bring 20-25 riders into a starting gate built for 40. Apparently, he hasn't made the connection yet that by ELIMINATING the purse money, he has effectively eliminated half of the field. Wanna guess who pockets this money? Ask any MX fan in Europe what they think about this. Ask
Luongo if he cares.

FIM: this is the European version of our AMA. They are also responsible for selecting the venues for the annual MX De Nations. A few years ago, one FIM official changed the venue at the last minute to an American MX track. The only problem was that the track didn't actually exist! As the date approached, they continued to sell tickets even though they knew that the new track wouldn't be finished in time. Although most were refunded their tickets, this was little consolation to the riders, teams, and fans who had made travel plans. A shameful chapter in MX history. Surprisingly, no one went to jail. The American involved was effectively banned from MX. As far s I know, nothing happened to the FIM official. He simply got away with it. Didn't even return the bribe.

There are many other examples of corruption within sanctioning bodies all over the world, including the US. Greed allows a few players to dominate a series. Moto GP currently has only two competitive teams with two riders each. That's not by accident. I always thought that job one for any sanctioning body was to make the racing as safe as possible. Job two was to level the playing field. Say what you will about NASCAR, but I think their success can be attributed to doing job two pretty well. Maybe it's because they're not as short sighted (quick buck) as their counterparts in other forms of racing.

OK, flame on. Tell me about who you know, what honest people they are, and how they would never be party to something like this. Uh huh, and OJ was innocent. BTW, neither Dorna nor Moto GO has yet to comment on why Laguna Seca was removed from the calendar, offering instead just the brief press release put out by Laguna Seca. Classy as well as informative.

Regards,
Bob

"Motorcycle racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM

And this is the reason why Stoner pulled the plug.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM

i have no clue about politics. but i was very disappointed that lacuna seca
was no longer on the Moto GP calendar. why keep something boring like
indianapolis and drop one of the races, where history in recent motorbike
racing was written?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:15 PM

I think most would agree with the majority of your post - the only thing I would make a slight side-comment on is that in my experience there is no organisation more profit oriented than an American one, in most walks of life.

When it comes to money talking in motorsport promotion, twas ever thus, though it has compounded in recent years with the likes of Dorna, Flamini, Ecclestone, et al ..... With all making some rather dubious decisions about where race series should or shouldn't go ...... Then again that transfers across sports too - you've only got to watch the farce of the football world cup going to be played in summer in Qatar in a couple of years ......
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 PM

New Site Garage
What's on the calendar in its stead?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Argentinia and brazil (to be completed)
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
My wife and I attended the 2006 Laguna Seca round.

We knew that the 125cc & 250cc GP bikes would not be present. I'd never really thought about it in more detail other than I assumed that it was due to the emissions from the two strokes that did not allow them to race in California. I could be completely wrong about that - it was the only logical reason I could think of.

Now, forward to 2013, and we have the 250cc four strokes replacing the 125 cc bikes and the 600 cc four strokes replacing the 250cc two strokes but they are not present on the Laguna Seca grid. It's the only round that does not feature all three classes of bikes.

Maybe that's a factor here.
Attached Images

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 AM

New Site Garage
Let's face it, if Dorna had their way then all the rounds would be in Spain!

It's a real shame as Indy is as dull as dishwater and due to the sheer size of the place it looks empty on race day making the rest of the world watching it on tv think why do they bother going to the states, no one there watches it

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
wow, like most of you I think that is a real shame.

I will have to make my way to Austin or Indi next season before I miss my change to watch one of these races live!

Don't make excuses, Make it happen

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
That's because Indy will hold over 500,000 people on the day of the 500. The crowds at ANY track for MotoGP are much much smaller.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode