What happened to Aprilia??? OR Aprilia VS KTM - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

What happened to Aprilia??? OR Aprilia VS KTM

Hello All, Aprilia and KTM entered MotoGP at the same time. Aprilia went with tried and proven materials, Aluminum box section chassis and base, Aluminum Swing Arm carbon fiber wheels, body work , wings ect. the same electronics (now ALL teams have same electronics) and last but not least Aprilia did not have a proto type(=meaning built specifically for MotoGP racing) Engine so Aprilia used its well developed RSV4 65 degree V4 engine . The RSV4 was the fastest bike in WSBK , But it was still WSBK and the RSV4 V4 engine was a big fish in a little pond . In MotoGP it was LACKING competitive power. Fortunately the Aprilia MotoGP Bike was/is ? a great handling Bike and finished 6th-7th on a semi regular basis. NOW despite Aprilia now having a proto type 65 degree V4 the Aprilia MotoGP bike is LUCKY to finish in the top 10. Aprilia has gone backward? Same proven tech , materials,braking and Suspension. Its a good handling machine and the same capable rider in Espargaro. That leaves only the Proto Type 65 degree V4 engine to question ? Its hard to believe the proto Type 65 degree V4 is making LESS? HP than the production 65 degree V4 that is in the Aprilia RSV4 Sportbike/Superbike? That's so absurd it makes me question if Aprilia is actually STILL using the production Aprilia RSV4 Superbike V4.
Why stay with 65 degree V4? counter balancers rob power because of extra weight, friction ect. Not to mention limit RPMs compared to a 90 degree V4 which has perfect primary balance. Aprilia started out so strong I thought they would be competitive in 1or 2 years.

Sorry guys, I tried to split the paragraph into sections but my lap top acting up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Then came the KTM RC16 with its proto type V4 (I do not know if KTM even makes the RC8 V-Twin sport bike any more? and its LC8 V-twin engine had problems=cases cracking from the use of low grade metal) The RC16 is REALLY outside the box. 7140 Chrome Moly Steel Trellis Chassis ,short wheel base , steeper rake/trail, taller chassis , and a shorter (for modern MotoGP) swing arm that is Aluminum covered by Carbon Fiber.Even the Suspension components are different. Instead of Ohlins which is used by ALL of the other manufactures The RC16 uses White brand Suspension. (which is owned by KTM) The KTM RC16 reminds me of the 1989 Honda NSR500 2 stroke V4. The KTM RC16 90 degree V4 has ample HP and is at least as fast if not faster as the Yamaha YZF-R1. Like I said earlier The KTM RC16 is very Unique . You have to give KTM credit for having courage of there convictions. They are spending a Ton of money and an extreme effort to make there own design competitive. When KTM got into MotoGP they where lucky to finish ahead of privateer Honda/Ducati/Yamaha privateer teams bikes. Now The KTM RC16 finishes in the top 8th-10th and JUST finished a close 6th and they had there closest finish time wise to the winner in the French MotoGP. The KTM RC18 has power but its weak point is its handling and drive off corners.(if KTM gets the RC16 to hook up better of corners it just might be as fast as the Honda RCV213V?) I root for KTM as an under dog but to be honest being the RC16 is SO different I thought KTM was going to fall on its face as a HUGE failer and KTM would be gone by now WHAT IS YOUR OPINION? DOES ANYONE THINK KTM WILL EVER HAVE A REAL SHOT AT WINNING THE MotoGP CHAMPIONSHIP?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
. . . DOES ANYONE THINK KTM WILL EVER HAVE A REAL SHOT AT WINNING THE MotoGP CHAMPIONSHIP?
Mmm. Surely you must given that you're a strong advocate for Marquez defecting to the brand!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Hi Nigel3 am here so excuse typing lol. I DO NOT think Marquez is defecting to KTM. The KTM is too far away from being competitive and it is SO different (KTM is almost trying to reinvent the wheel lol) it will take too long. In My Humble Opinion I believe Marquez will go to Ducati. Ducati is the best bike on the grid. When Honda publically states they are developing there RCV213V for the general styles of other riders because they think Marquez is going to defect . His father is poed and rightfully so, MotoGP is dangerous lol. Wouldn't you tell your son to pack up and leave ASAP? BTW I record the races and when you play back on slow mode you can see rider styles , if bike is good or bad handling ect ect Marquez is amazing and is THE reason for Honda leading Championship.Marquez runs a higher midcorner speed than anyone and gets on the power 1/2 to 1 full second than anyone P.Espargaro on the KTM rode the race of his life . He Constantly was making adjustments to keep the KTMs wheels inline. Espargaro Had to keep the KTM RC16 wheels inline as it was unstable/squirming =you could see the RC16 was on the edge . (nigel you do track days so you know what I am saying lol) The RC16 has Power but it isn't hooking up off corners well. The opposite situation at Aprilia . Great handling, smooth as silk but cant get out of its own way(compared to other MotoGP manufacturers bikes) IMHO that's why you see Aprilia crashing . The rider feels good/confident with good handling , then tries to make up lack of HP by Over riding until traction lets loose all at once (like Camier on Honda Fireblade)

SORRY AGAIN FOR LONG PARAGRAPH LAP TOP ACTING UP AGAIN . BEEN TRING TO BREAK UP PARAGRAPH FOR EASIER READING .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Nigel hitting the sack its 5 am here. Took my F4RR tuned/worked to F4RC spec+ Bodis headers ,,,, Christ it fast!! tell ya about running a New R1 and New GSXR1000RR when I see you later
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Hi Nigel 3 am here so excuse typing lol. I DO NOT think Marquez is defecting to KTM. . .
Apologies for that. It is @Glenno who is a 'strong' advocate.

You, my friend, are merely a 'conditional' advocate:
Quote:
Nigel apparently Marquez has been talking about moving to another manufacturer but not saying who or when . Marquez has been flat out riding the competition. He knows the Ducatis are the best bike on the grid. Marquez knows this so I would bet he goes to Ducati unless KTM defies chassis engineers and makes that steel trellis chassis work with 270hp and the KTM RC16 gets an additional 20hp. . .
To respectfully answer you question though, I have very little knowledge of the KTM brand other than its successes in Motocross championships.

I think the likes of Honda, Yamaha, and the re-emerging Suzuki have a mortgage on world championships. I wonder if anyone ever asked a question such as yours of Ducati? Admittedly Ducati won the title in 2007 - 4 years after returning to the 4-stroke era of MotoGP. Ducati are well on their game now.

My point? Despite Ducati's racing history and resources, it has been unable to penetrate, let alone dominate, MotoGP.

KTM, with arguably lesser GP experience will continue to be a top 8 finisher with occasional podiums. I cannot see it crushing the might of the Japanese efforts.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION? DOES ANYONE THINK KTM WILL EVER HAVE A REAL SHOT AT WINNING THE MotoGP CHAMPIONSHIP?
In 5-8 years with Marquez

2000 F4 750
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
In 5-8 years with Marquez
Damn! I'll be non compos mentis under lock and key in an institution for geriatrics by then.

Probably all as well so I won't have to face the barrage of @[email protected] gloating with his: 'I told you so, I told you so,' taunts!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:00 PM

KTM did pretty darn good at the AMA Supercross. The Japanese ruled before 2010 and KTM managed to come in and in short period of time make a huge impact.
nigelrb likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM

Somewhat disagree regarding Ducati and Motogp. They have won numerous races and I do believe a certain Mr Stoner dominated for a couple of years. No one but Honda is doing much in the last few years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode