Who Else loves The New Superpole Sprint Race Format? - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 2 Post By revhead1957

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Who Else loves The New Superpole Sprint Race Format?

IMO this is the best managerial decision Dorna has ever made.Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. I was on the edge of my seat the entire 10 laps. Looking at the battle between Bautista and Rea and listening to the Announcers I came to the conclusion that either the Announcers are blind or I have lost my vision as the Announcers proclaimed repeatedly that Bautistas Ducati V4R was handling better through the corners than Reas Kawasaki ZX10RR. I saw Reas Kawasaki ZX10RR as the better handling machine as it was stable through the entire lap and Bautistas Ducati V4R tires Squirming, chassis twisting, and head shaking through the entire lap . Bautista just rode the wheels off the Ducati V4R taking Victory over Rea. . On the Subject of hard riding.... Bautista rode his ass off on the Ducati V4R but Honerable Mention IMHO goes to Tom Sykes. Never a big fan of Sykes as he is too big to be a GOAT Ect BUT this year with the BMW S1000RR Down 19 KPH in Top Speed Sykes MUST be riding like Joan of Ark with her ass on fire through the infield sections. Team Manager said Sykes was losing 4/10ths of a second every lap due to being down on power/top speed. This is why a 10th place finish is impressive. The new BMW S1000RR looks to be a fantastic handling machine so do not write it off for the whole season. Its a lot easier to make Horsepower gains than design a Great handling World Superbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
I agree that the 10 lapper has injected a further interest point for me, over the previous format.

The Ducati must be handling fairly sweet. Remember, in the two main races Bautista cleaned up by 17 and 20 seconds. Interesting to see Davies markedly improve in the third race, and from my perspective, Camier seemed to find his way also. Poor Kiyonari will find himself getting used to 'pointless' finishes.

Agree the BMW has potential, but as with a couple of other bikes, their true potential will come to light over the next two to three venues.
[email protected] likes this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 AM

Nice to see a race where tyre management was not required, and they could just go for it.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Me
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Nigel yes Bautista did well but compare the Ducati V4R with the Kawasaki Zx10RR stability through corners and the beginning of the straits .Example, It looked like bautista had to let the bike get stabile coming out of the last corner before the front strait before he could apply power. I too was rooting for bautista and the Ducati V4R but I have to say the ZX10RR looks much more stable . The new BMW was a handling dream but a nightmare down the straits . privateer Ducati V4R and Kawasaki ZX10RR where just charging past the BMW even when not in the slip stream .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:58 AM

There seems to be a pattern with Ducati where they are on the edge of stability when accelerating. Remember the horrible slappers that Melandri endured? It appeared to me that Bautista was suffering similiar to a lesser extent.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
There seems to be a pattern with Ducati where they are on the edge of stability when accelerating. Remember the horrible slappers that Melandri endured? It appeared to me that Bautista was suffering similiar to a lesser extent.
I noticed that too but not as severe as Marco's. That was the insane.

Toronto, Canada
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Guys what your seeing is front end flex that came in with the monoque chassis of the Ducati 1199. You didn't have this with the steel trellis chassis in the Ducati 1198. Melandri rides the front end very hard. He even had the Yamaha R1 doing a bit of head shake. Still kills me MV didn't sign Melandri in WSBK and run 1 WSS bike instead of 2 . Other than the new Ducati V4R trap speeds didn't get any faster Melndri On the MV F4RC would be doing well . It was on Par with the Yamaha R1 ( F4RC better handling R1 a bit faster=on Par) Bautista looks to be fast and I hope he runs consistent lap times but he is going to have to be on his A game not to lose the front end with the flex. I was very relieved to see Bautista cross the finish line in every race .

You are correct that the Ducati V4R stability is much better than the Ducati 1199 stability so hopefully they can sort it out this time.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-27-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode