WSBK is way more fun to watch than GP - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

WSBK is way more fun to watch than GP

I've been a huge MotoGP fan over the years. The new rules are just taking the fun out of it, though, and I've started watching WSBK.

I've got to say; What an AWESOME series. More bikes, great riders, and closer battles. To top it all off, WSBK laptimes are creeping up really close to MotoGP laptimes. Only a few seconds difference here and there. Single tire rules, 800cc limit, etc. are just going to kill GP, imho. Why do they want to keep reducing speeds? It isn't like people were killing themselves left and right on the racetrack!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
I've been a huge MotoGP fan over the years. The new rules are just taking the fun out of it, though, and I've started watching WSBK.

I've got to say; What an AWESOME series. More bikes, great riders, and closer battles. To top it all off, WSBK laptimes are creeping up really close to MotoGP laptimes. Only a few seconds difference here and there. Single tire rules, 800cc limit, etc. are just going to kill GP, imho. Why do they want to keep reducing speeds? It isn't like people were killing themselves left and right on the racetrack!?
First, the single tire rule SAVED world SBK. Manufacturers had left hand over fist. Spec tires brought the field closer (although it made the lap time some 4 seconds slower for a number of years). Right now the GP series is just starting to work out their spec tires. You have a lot of guys who know the tires and a lot of guys who have never ridden them, that will create a lap time disparity. Right now, the 800's are running faster lap times than the 990cc GP bikes. Unfortunately the costs are what are really making the series very difficult for a lot of people. There are NO privateer teams left in the series simply because there are no competitive engines available and the cost of developing one AND staying on top of development are astronomical. As it stands, MotoGP is in danger of pricing itself out of business, because a couple of OEM's wanted to use the series to develop four-strokes. Personally I would love to see the GP series go to a displacement limited open series. Imagine 800cc's in whatever configuration you think is best. You would have 800cc four strokes, 800cc two-strokes, 800cc rotaries, maybe even 800cc diesels all battling against each other. Privateer teams could run 800cc two-strokes to develop the power at lower cost than the four strokes at the expense of tractability, while the factory teams could run the four strokes for R&D purposes and the rotary could attract unusual players like Mazda.
As far as excitement goes, I think part of the excitement comes from the commentators, try watching the superbike races with the sound off and you will see what I mean (enthusiasm is contagious). Another thing that SBK has going for it is the two race format which kind of gives you a replay and a second chance for an exciting race. I have seen some very good races in both GP's and Superbikes and I have seen some very processional races in both series as well. Unfortunately with GP's it is an all or nothing deal. No second chances to get it right. That in itself is exciting, and knowing the guys up front have hit the set-up right and wont have another shot at it.
I remember not too long ago, the GP's where strong (right after the switch to four-strokes) and the SBK series was on the verge of collapse. Ducati was the only factory team left racing privateers and "no-names", while MotoGP was bringing in new teams such as Kawasaki and Ducati. Excitement has waxed and waned in each series and motogp will find it's footing. But don't forget, the fastest riders on the fastest bikes are still GP's. I'm pretty sure guys like Haga, Bayliss and the rest of the world SBK crew will attest to that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I really enjoy both series. My main gripe is the 200cc advantage to Ducati in WSBK. That just ain't right. Go Ben!
Looking forward to the 600cc four strokes replacing the 250cc two strokes in the 2010 Motogp series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Funny, after Le Mans we have a series where the top three are seperated by one point and the top four by nine points.In WSBK there is what a 60 point gap between 1st and second? (I havent watched race 2 yet).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM

If it wasn't for bad luck, Spies wouldn't have any luck at all. First, he runs out of gas in the last turn and then his bike just quits when leading another race. Not to mention a couple of crashes when leading other races. No points in either of the 4 races. That's racing.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
The Machinist

IMO Moto GP needs to go back to 1000's and get rid of rider control. The 800's are just boring.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM

You know what's more exciting than WSBK still? World Supersport - incredible close battles. And then there is the absolute pinnacle of motorcycle racing - 250 GP racing. Take no prisoners racing until the finish line, simply awesome!!!
Shame it's going away.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
The Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
You know what's more exciting than WSBK still? World Supersport - incredible close battles. And then there is the absolute pinnacle of motorcycle racing - 250 GP racing. Take no prisoners racing until the finish line, simply awesome!!!
Shame it's going away.

It is a shame. And to Honda no less.....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
I really enjoy both series. My main gripe is the 200cc advantage to Ducati in WSBK. That just ain't right. Go Ben!
Spies has won every superpole to date and would probably be winning the championship except for some mechanicals and mental errors. And that's a guy who has never even SEEN some of those tracks before. So much for Ducati's *advantage*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
Looking forward to the 600cc four strokes replacing the 250cc two strokes in the 2010 Motogp series.
Unbelievable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
Shame it's going away.
Indeed. And the guys who rule MotoGP were all 125 and 250cc terrors while the guys who came from 4-strokes aren't even in the hunt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode